Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It’s not that strange.

For some reason we dominated Forest that first half and spent a high proportion of it in their half.

Fletcher was playing at the side of Rhodes which gave us some mobility and stopped their defence pushing too far up the pitch.

Because we played in their half a lot we put a lot of crosses in and Rhodes was actually in the box , not 30 yds away.

Reach put some great crosses in from the right hand side.

Rhodes is a penalty box player.

Outside the box he is too slow , from the halfway line he needs a bus to get into the box.

But in the box his movement and anticipation is still great and if he spends enough time in there he will score.

The problem is, ask him to play 40 yards out with his back to goal, and might as well play me.

Spot on. He's always been slow, he's never been strong. He needs a target man along side him.

As Roy Keane said, with Jordan sometimes you need to not be preoccupied with what he can't do and focus on what he can do.

If we're keeping Rhodes and going direct this year then a big lad who wins headers is what we need. 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

£1m... crikey yeah, hold on to your hats folks, we're balling over here.

In a world where League One strikers cost £5m and decent but unremarkable Championship CM's are nearly a million (Luongo last season)... well, it's time to wake up and smell the roses. That £1m was for a signing we desperately need. That £1m is effectively a fee for a marquee signing. It's the modern-day equivalent of £350k for Adam le Fondre.

Don't forget, we've brought three in already, plus how many more signings do we need? Probably at the least 4 more? I don't think we were ever going to spend big amounts this summer, considering how many players we need, even without a points deduction. The points deduction may put off some sought after signings but if they're a good age and with something to prove, that might not be as big an issue as it seems. Personally, I'd prefer us to be more sensible and the first three signings point to that, instead of over-spending or bringing in players with little re-sale value like in the past. The sensible long term approach, may have been partly enforced recently but it's something we should have done ever since the failed play-off campaigns. 

Izzy Brown still signed, a more than capable young but experienced player at this level, with a good record of assists and no doubt he would have had other options I would have thought? The striker situation is the most concerning, near the start of the season. Hopefully we'll have at least a couple in soon, such as Windass and a couple more loanees. I wouldn't be surprised if we're focusing mostly on bringing in some strong options on loan. 

Defensively and in midfield we look reasonably strong for this level, wing back and attack needs strengthening. Another issue, is the extra midweek games and shortened pre-season, we'll need strength in depth, youngsters to step up and an adaptable squad. Apart from the obvious lack of strikers, I fear it will be difficult to bring in someone that can replicate Murphy's effectiveness. Fingers-crossed, we can get some more signings in, like Izzy Brown or FDB, on loan or without breaking the bank. 

Edited by The Night-Owl

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Beginning to think the general consensus is Rhodes is the main man,  all hopes on Rhodes 👀

Agreed, looks like it. 

Which is absolutely mental because he offers nothing in terms of link up play and physicality. I remember when we signed him my Blackburn mate said he loved him (with all the goals he scored) but he made a huge point about him not contributing anything at all apart from that. I know we all know about this, he's been with us since 2017. However those expecting his game to change or for him to somehow have awareness for passing, setting up, linking up, winning headers will be sad to see he can't do any of that. We've gone from having one of the best at that in Fletcher to one of the most anonymous. I've said it before but tactically this will cripple our midfield who will have nothing to play too. We will be under pressure in our own half in a lot of games, it'll be pretty damning i think. It's the sort of tactics that'll mean we can't do anything inside the opposition 3rd. We'll probably score 35-45 goals all season like that. 

Edited by TheEnchanter
  • Like 1

I still think there's a reasonable possibility we could bring in some smart loan signings to add the extra quality and goals we need. Izzy Brown was a smart capture and looks capable of being one of our key players. Murphy was one of our best players last season and Hector the season before last too.

It's difficult to bring back players of that quality after impressive loan spells but we'll find it just as difficult or even harder to find players of the quality of some of our recent loan signings, within P&S constraints. Other teams have had key players on loan and been unable to re-sign them in recent seasons too. Hopefully we can unearth someone that could have their breakthrough season, like Brewster at Swansea last season or the likes of Abraham at Bristol City in the past. 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

It’s not that strange.

For some reason we dominated Forest that first half and spent a high proportion of it in their half.

Fletcher was playing at the side of Rhodes which gave us some mobility and stopped their defence pushing too far up the pitch.

Because we played in their half a lot we put a lot of crosses in and Rhodes was actually in the box , not 30 yds away.

Reach put some great crosses in from the right hand side.

Rhodes is a penalty box player.

Outside the box he is too slow , from the halfway line he needs a bus to get into the box.

But in the box his movement and anticipation is still great and if he spends enough time in there he will score.

The problem is, ask him to play 40 yards out with his back to goal, and might as well play me.

Completely agree. I think that’s why he suffers because he really can only be played one way.

13 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Completely agree. I think that’s why he suffers because he really can only be played one way.

Think that’s also why Monk didn’t use him as much as he might have last season 

The system has got to suit Jordan, it doesn’t seem like the new system is any better for him in my opinion , but I get the feeling GM is putting faith in him been the man to lead the line just hope to god we bring someone in to partner him , maybe Rudy Gestede 

26 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

I still think there's a reasonable possibility we could bring in some smart loan signings to add the extra quality and goals we need. Izzy Brown was a smart capture and looks capable of being one of our key players. Murphy was one of our best players last season and Hector the season before last too.

It's difficult to bring back players of that quality after impressive loan spells but we'll find it just as difficult or even harder to find players of the quality of some of our recent loan signings, within P&S constraints. Other teams have had key players on loan and been unable to re-sign them in recent seasons too. Hopefully we can unearth someone that could have their breakthrough season, like Brewster at Swansea last season or the likes of Abraham at Bristol City in the past. 

And Izzy will be next season 

Rhodes needs a strong partner and at least this system allows you to play 2 up front.

However he also needs crosses into the box. So the right choice of wingbacks is important.

Harris left, Palmer right won’t deliver those crosses.

• Like 3

Just now, gurujuan said:

Can’t believe some of you, Rhodes ain’t gonna come good, he hasn’t been good for 5 years It’s no coincidence that the only interest in him, has been from league one Ipswich

Happens every 5 games or so mate. He'll have one half decent game then go about 5 games where he does nothing, people realise he's crap and he gets benched. Couple of games later and peoples gold fish memory kicks in and they start thinking of his Huddersfield days. Then around and around we go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can’t believe some of you, Rhodes ain’t gonna come good, he hasn’t been good for 5 years It’s no coincidence that the only interest in him, has been from league one Ipswich

I ain’t saying I believe in him ....

But I think it’s becoming a bit obvious he’s going to be the main man