Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I still think we need a dedicated DM. Luongo hasn’t had the best of times with us injury wise and brown has had injury problems in the past. 

If we are playing 3 in midfield I would want at least 4 first team quality players. At the minute one injury/suspension etc and you are down to replacing them with lesser players (joey, Palmer?) or the kids.

I wouldn’t disagree with that pal, but that doesn’t look like it’s Monk’s thinking. He gambled on us not needing such a player when he decided to leave Hutchinson out. When the results started to go pear shaped, there didn’t appear to be any inclination to bring one in, in that January window. We were linked with the big German guy, but since then I’ve not seen any reports linking us with such a player. 
For what it’s worth, I’d be happier with such a player in the mix, mainly because I’ve witnessed the consequences of not having one. Having said that, Luongo, Brown and Bannan, looks a very decent midfield three, especially when we have the ball. As you say though, injuries could be a worry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Problem is one injury and we will be expecting one of them to play 10-20 games on the bounce and be up to first team standard straight away, I don’t think that’s realistic.

Regarding a DM It only takes an attack down the wing to make one of the CBs shift over to cover to potentially leave us short in the middle of they have runners coming through. I would always start with one.

Reach needs to deliver this season...he takes a spot.

Exactly, one cb is pulled wide, two to cover the centre. It doesn’t matter if you’re a defensive or attacking midfielder, midfielders always have to track midfielders runs. The whole point of Monks philosophy is that we have a dynamic team. An interpretation of that is that players have the legs to track their players. Good teams both defend and attack as a unit, therefore not needing insurance players.

Let’s be honest, our business so far has been encouraging. The problem is the lack of it. 

Who replaces Bannan if he gets injured?

We’re five years on from the play offs and, still don’t own a decent left back. Penney is very much a prospect but, a complete novice at this level.

1 first team striker on the books. How many other clubs in the division are in that boat?

2 goalkeepers fighting for the number 1 shirt, neither of which would be number 1 anywhere else in the division. 

Nobody really knows the in and outs of the club so, it’s hard to pinpoint blame. To find ourselves 5 days away from the season starting with a squad as thin on the ground as ours is massively worrying.

The main frustration is, if we’d have recruited quickly, the foundations the likes of Iorfa, Borner, Lees, Bannan, Luongo and Brown give us, would be more than enough to avoid a relegation battle. 

As it stands, a couple of early injuries and we’re going to struggle.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn’t disagree with that pal, but that doesn’t look like it’s Monk’s thinking. He gambled on us not needing such a player when he decided to leave Hutchinson out. When the results started to go pear shaped, there didn’t appear to be any inclination to bring one in, in that January window. We were linked with the big German guy, but since then I’ve not seen any reports linking us with such a player. 
For what it’s worth, I’d be happier with such a player in the mix, mainly because I’ve witnessed the consequences of not having one. Having said that, Luongo, Brown and Bannan, looks a very decent midfield three, especially when we have the ball. As you say though, injuries could be a worry

Yes but on the flip side, if we have to rely on Pelupessy for long spells in the side? 🤬

12 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Let’s be honest, our business so far has been encouraging. The problem is the lack of it. 

We’re five years on from the play offs and, still don’t own a decent left back. Penney is very much a prospect but, a complete novice at this level.

1 first team striker on the books. How many other clubs in the division are in that boat?

2 goalkeepers fighting for the number 1 shirt, neither of which would be number 1 anywhere else in the division. 

Nobody really knows the in and outs of the club so, it’s hard to pinpoint blame. To find ourselves 5 days away from the season starting with a squad as thin on the ground as ours is massively worrying.

The main frustration is, if we’d have recruited quickly, the foundations the likes of Iorfa, Borner, Lees, Bannan, Luongo and Brown give us, would be more than enough to avoid a relegation battle. 

Regarding cover for Bannan, I’d like to see us follow through on our previous interest in young Holland. He was excellent at Oxford last season, playing either as a winger, or a wide midfielder. Could be a good long term replacement for Bannan. 
Basically we have some back up strength in the two areas where we are currently strong at first team level. Yeah we could upgrade a few of those, but we do currently have options in reserve for midfield and centre of defence. At wing back, we also have a few options, but here it’s a case of needing better quality. Up front is the real issue though, at first team level, and back up, the cupboard is bare

Edited by gurujuan

12 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Throw in we’ve played 45 mins of competitive football in preseason and you can hear the hamstrings and pulled muscles warming. Made me howl when the commentator on Saturday was saying how far ahead we were in terms of preparation. Leicester’s second pre season game. Our only one. 

1 minute ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

As a minimum surely got to be looking at 2 strikers and windass 

By the start of the season, definitely, with perhaps another couple coming before the window closes Bolster up the U23s strikers as well, so at least we can always have a couple of strikers on the bench

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

dont worry too much about this weekend. Cardiff is when we need to be prepared for.

It does feel like a pre season game, the way its scheduled.

Ideally, we need Windass and at least another forward in for a few days of training to play a part this weekend in preparation for Cardiff. 

This then takes the pressure off finding another forward a little before the end of the window.

7 minutes ago, modboy said:

dont worry too much about this weekend. Cardiff is when we need to be prepared for.

we do but the new signings need a good week or so to get up to speed etc. Absolutely crazy we are so close to the season starting and we still have 1 striker. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Brentford complete Toney signing. 

At least we know that somebody is working on Bank Holiday. It always seems with Wednesday, and most other clubs I suppose, that if deals aren’t done by the Thursday, they won’t be done for the next few days. Friday, clubs are preparing for the game, Saturday the day of the game, Sunday’s and Bank holiday Monday’s, stuff rarely gets done.

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At least we know that somebody is working on Bank Holiday. It always seems with Wednesday, and most other clubs I suppose, that if deals aren’t done by the Thursday, they won’t be done for the next few days. Friday, clubs are preparing for the game, Saturday the day of the game, Sunday’s and Bank holiday Monday’s, stuff rarely gets done.

It was probably sorted days ago. Especially considering Peterborough bought Clarke Harris a few days ago which they wouldn't have done if Toney deal wasn't done.