Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So many unanswered questions at the moment, right through the squad. Will we start the season with one of Wildsmith or Dawson in goal, or maybe bring in an experienced keeper Will it be wing backs or full backs, whichever it is, it will require more recruitment in those positions. Will we see the arrival of a Hutchinson style midfield strongman, or will Bannan continue as a deep lying playmaker. Who will be the captain. Will we have better striking options than we had last season, or will they be much the same. So much to look forward to over the next couple of weeks, when all should be revealed. There could be as many as 8 further arrivals, that’s 1 every 36 hours

The captaincy is the main thing I want to know to know about - would be great if some of the local journo's could ask about this!

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I still think we lack a really decent senior player.  Someone in the Marsden, Loovens, mould who others can really look up to and learn from and who can be a strong connection between coaches and the squad.  

I agree mate.

Viv Anderson is the perfect example.

Somebody who hates losing, talks and organises on the pitch and respected by all the players.

Everybody else played better when Loovens was in the team, which seems daft, but that what these types do and we need one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0114 said:

All the talk today has been on Leko. I was hoping their may be an update on Windass with us having an bid accepted. 

Monk has expressed his interest in re-signing Windass and DaCruz, so if he does, and adds Leko, along with Rhodes, we’ll have our four strikers Unless we will be adding more, I cannot see that mismatched group being any better than last years mob. Indeed, three of them will be the same.

• Like 3

I've said it before, I just can't see us not signing a striker who we can play off. Hopefully with a bit of pace and an eye for goal, Monks teams appear to thrive on this kind of player, wood, Fletcher, jokanovic, Che Adams. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Monk has expressed his interest in re-signing Windass and DaCruz, so if he does, and adds Leko, along with Rhodes, we’ll have our four strikers Unless we will be adding more, I cannot see that mismatched group being any better than last years mob. Indeed, three of them will be the same.

I’ve no issues with Windass, lad scored 7 in 24 last year and can play 2/3 positions. For £500k I don’t see the issue. 

Da Cruz I wouldn’t be too fussed about. I’d be happy with Leko, but all 3 of those players are quite versatile. Maybe we may go with a smaller squad of players with a more adaptable playing squad. 

Rhodes I just don’t see playing under Monk. I’d be shocked if there isn’t a target man type coming. 

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

I’ve no issues with Windass, lad scored 7 in 24 last year and can play 2/3 positions. For £500k I don’t see the issue. 

Da Cruz I wouldn’t be too fussed about. I’d be happy with Leko, but all 3 of those players are quite versatile. Maybe we may go with a smaller squad of players with a more adaptable playing squad. 

Rhodes I just don’t see playing under Monk. I’d be shocked if there isn’t a target man type coming. 

My point being, we had most of those players last season, and we were powder puff up front Agree, Rhodes isn’t part of Monk’s plans, but whether he plays him or not, him being there will inhibit what we can do striker wise. If those are the options we go with, can you see any effective pairing out of them, I can’t 

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

be very disappointing if they are the strikers we have playing for us this season. Apart from Rhodes I wouldn’t say any of them are out and out strikers. Yes I know Rhodes isn’t a very good one at the minute but you know what I mean. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Yeah i know - I would always have one player like that in the squad though.  Liverpool did well getting Milner who by all accounts is great in that dressing room,

Loovens -the guy has played for Holland and was facing up to Messi and Ronaldo the season before he joined.  You are Liam Palmer and someone like that comes into the dressing room you pay attention. Same when we got hold of big Viv and Francis - if you are Phil King, Paul Williams etc you look at players like that and you learn. 

Huddlestone can do a job if he still has a bit of fire in him.

Agree, but I would also look at Andy King who is 31 , a midfidler , won the premier league.  Wants either a champ team pushing for promotion or one in a relegation battle.  Says he wants a challenge.  Go get him!!

1 hour ago, deano said:

I've said it before, I just can't see us not signing a striker who we can play off. Hopefully with a bit of pace and an eye for goal, Monks teams appear to thrive on this kind of player, wood, Fletcher, jokanovic, Che Adams. 

Leon Clarke is ready and waiting. 

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox
58 minutes ago, swinners said:

Agree, but I would also look at Andy King who is 31 , a midfidler , won the premier league.  Wants either a champ team pushing for promotion or one in a relegation battle.  Says he wants a challenge.  Go get him!!

He's a crock. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

My point being, we had most of those players last season, and we were powder puff up front Agree, Rhodes isn’t part of Monk’s plans, but whether he plays him or not, him being there will inhibit what we can do striker wise. If those are the options we go with, can you see any effective pairing out of them, I can’t 

No I can’t but then I don’t for one second think that will be our strike force.

I think Leko is a better alternative to Da Cruz. I don’t see both incoming.

Monk has usually based his team around a target man. I’ll be shocked if we have striker selection of Rhodes, Da Cruz, Windass and Leko come the end of the window. 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

All the talk today has been on Leko. I was hoping their may be an update on Windass with us having an bid accepted. 

Didn’t Preston have a bid for Windass accepted too? If so then he’s probably weighing up his options.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Huddlestone isn’t the answer. Ask Derby fans, gone backwards hugely these past couple of seasons. 

Also he’s not really that big of a name. 

Oh I dunno Sally, cost a few quid to have it on the back of yer shirt.