What team would we like v Barnsley

With Luongo not fit, and Fox probably not quite ready yet, I reckon Monk will go with:

----------------Dawson----------------

Palmer----Iorfa------Borner----Odubajo

----------Pelupessy--Bannan-----------

Reach---------Windass---------Da Cruz

-----------------Wickham----------------

I'd like us, to go with two out and out attacking wide players, so Da Cruz and one of either FF, Murphy or Harris, but I just think, away from home, in what will be a tight, edgy game, Monk will opt for that element of control that Reach tends to give you.

Regardless, Reach needs to step up. Saturday might be his last chance, before he slips down the pecking order and is reliant on others losing form or injuries. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

With Luongo not fit, and Fox probably not quite ready yet, I reckon Monk will go with:

----------------Dawson----------------

Palmer----Iorfa------Borner----Odubajo

----------Pelupessy--Bannan-----------

Reach---------Windass---------Da Cruz

-----------------Wickham----------------

I'd like us, to go with two out and out attacking wide players, so Da Cruz and one of either FF, Murphy or Harris, but I just think, away from home, in what will be a tight, edgy game, Monk will opt for that element of control that Reach tends to give you.

Regardless, Reach needs to step up. Saturday might be his last chance, before he slips down the pecking order and is reliant on others losing form or injuries. 

Agreed. With luongo and Lee out and Fox only 50/50 I can see this being the lineup. Personally I’d have FF ahead of Reach but I think Monk will be more cautious 

Guest LittleG
5 hours ago, Stoop said:

I’d like to see

Dawson

Palmer.        Iorfa.        Borner.        Fox

Loungo.                  Bannan 

Windass  

De Cruz.                                 FF

Wickham

This formation would only work if Cruz and FF are willing to track back a little tho

Similar to what I would pick. I'm not bothered bout Cruz and FF tracking back; we've got enough defenders and midfield to sort things out. 

2 hours ago, paulrs said:

Agreed. With luongo and Lee out and Fox only 50/50 I can see this being the lineup. Personally I’d have FF ahead of Reach but I think Monk will be more cautious 

I'm not sure it's about been cautious.

You've got to strike a balance throughout the team.

With Bannan & Pelupessy in a double pivot, in a 4-2-3-1, both are going to be deep, and aren't going to cover great deals of space. 

So by playing two out and out attacking wide players, and a No.10 who's instinct is to attack, it's putting a huge burden on two players, who don't cover a lot of ground. And especially against a side that plays with a narrow diamond, you'll be facing 2v4 scenarios in there for much of the game. 

Reach has his limitations, and there's no doubt, he's been garbage for the mostpart this season. But, he does cover ground, he does track players and he does defend central areas. 

When Luongo is back in the picture, Monk might be tempted to go with a more adventurous front four, because he'll cover the ground Bannan and Pelupessy don't. But until then, I fear it might be a case of, saving that front four as a Plan B option. 

Dawson

Moses    Iorfa      hutch/borner   Fox                          harris    Bannan  windass  reach

Cruz   

Wickham   

Bring ff on for harris or reach

Prefer hutch cb but cant see it now!

Assuming Luongo and Fox not fit...

Dawson

Palmer   Iorfa    Borner     Odubajo

Pelupessey    Bannan

Da Cruz         Windass                FF

Wickham