Anyone here, at this game?

Some of the old owls used to talk about this game in the pub and the previous round against Roma. Think we'll be the only team in Sheffield football to play Barca in a competitive game and actually beat them. Crowd was 28000+. Robin Hardy is the only one I've never heard of.

35 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

The Barca team could be worth over £0.5M..kin..ell...and expected crowd 60,000 + Would have been 68,000 but SAG got shirty

Would that be Gerry Young at No.9?

We forget that he was formerly a striker

49 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Yes I was my Dad and Uncle took me...both blades. I was nearly nine. 

Same here mate. ( not the Blades bit,) wouldn’t mix with the scummers even then). :biggrin:

There was the Barcelona game & the first of the 2 times we played Santos.

This was the year after we finished runners up to Spurs. 
I mentioned this in a post the other day, how this very good team & set up gradually disintegrated into the typical decline due to lack of ambition.

47 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Some of the old owls used to talk about this game in the pub and the previous round against Roma. Think we'll be the only team in Sheffield football to play Barca in a competitive game and actually beat them. Crowd was 28000+. Robin Hardy is the only one I've never heard of.

Robin hardy used to stand in when Tom McAnearney was injured.

18 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

Yep I was there, anyone who thinks playing without a centre forward would be surprised that Gerry young was the one to replace Ellis who was our big lad up front .Wilkinson Dobson and Finney were all wingers.

Dobson was occasionally at 'inside right'.

It was not unknown for Wilkinson to be sometimes centre forward, e.g. when Bronco was banned a couple of years later

11 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

centre forward would be surprised that Gerry young was the one to replace Ellis

Thanks

My earliest memory of Wednesday was watching the 66 cup final on tv...and my dad saying bloody ell ..Young...not like him. So assumed to this day he was always a defender.

I had been to a few home games before but can't remember anything about them.

Wouldn't have known, if the original owner of the programme hadn't have scribbled in the actual line up.

Was there. Still got the programme.

The team printed on it, with the inclusion of Tommy Mac instead of Robin Hardy, is the iconic Wednesday team in my books.

Dobson replaced Bobby Craig, Gerry Young replaced Keith Ellis and Finney and Wilkinson swapped wings.

They were a joy to watch 

• Thanks 2