Anyone here, at this game?

20 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

The Barca team could be worth over £0.5M..kin..ell...and expected crowd 60,000 + Would have been 68,000 but SAG got shirty

Would that be Gerry Young at No.9?

Yes to both questions. 

In the days before Everton nicked Tony Kay, Gerry Young had come as a Forward, pften playing on the wing, but often as Centre Forward, a position he was, whilst not one of the better known CF's of the time, wasbloody good wherever he played, and always gave of his best. He was moved to Wing half or Half-Back as they were known, to replace Kay who had defected to Everton. In this position he was actually capped for England., Oh for his like today!

I was also at the Barca match.

Funnily enough, my daughter, who always tries to surprise me at Christmas, came up this year with a set of place mat/coasters. Each depicts the advert for a special match - Wed v Utd (93 Semi Final),  Wed v Sunderland 68, One Festival of Britain Friendly, Wed v FREM (Denmark) (May 510 and the one match I shall always remember, even more thn the appearances of Pele - Wed vs Torpedo (Moscow) with the great Lev Yashin in goal.

In addition, last year she bought me a photo of a group of Wed. Players surrounding the Lino in the match at Highbury which was abandoned because of snow.

'Bet you can't remember that , dad'. to which Ireplied, 'I can, because I was there!'   ah happy days 

• Like 5

I was there with my Dad. At the time I didn’t know much about Barcelona..just another foreign team to me and I don’t remember      
a big crowd, we weren’t packed in on the South stand terrace like we often could be for big matches back then.

Gerry Young often played centre forward in his early career before becoming a great defensive midfielder and crowd favourite.

I’d forgotten that Colin Dobson started as an old fashioned inside forward. He was a talented left winger so the thinking must have been to have an extra player with excellent skills on the pitch for that particular game.

Robin Hardy was an up and coming wing half but if my memory serves correctly he died at a young age and never fulfilled the  promising start to his career.

Alan Finney and Derek Wilkinson appeared on the opposite wings to normal on the team sheet. That meant very little though because it was customary for them to swap wings a few times during most games. It kept the opposing full backs on their toes.

Happy days.

• Like 2