Home games- Boring as hell

15 minutes ago, TINGLE75 said:

Agreed, this is the most worrying thing. I worry for the future. Not sure on % of under 18's in the ground but with United doing so well it's hard to imagine many choosing to go to Hillsborough unless they go with family.

True...If you can't compete with your local rivals on the field, you have to compete with them off the field at least...Our pricing structure?

Not happening is it?

On 18/01/2020 at 19:57, owls maniac said:

Agreed. Since Carlos’s first season it’s been mostly dire. Can’t believe we still get 23,000 turning up tbh. 

it’s because we have a good a chance anyone outside the top 2 getting promoted.. The quality of the league this season has been shocking, although perhaps the inconsistency is what makes it interesting for the neutral.  

People don’t come for the good football; they simply come hoping their team will reach the ‘promised land’

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

True...If you can't compete with your local rivals on the field, you have to compete with them off the field at least...Our pricing structure?

Not happening is it?

When I was walking towards the Kop at the Cardiff game I noticed about 6 young lads probably 12-13 going to the game on their own, ok it was nostalgic but you due to the cost you don't see that really anymore

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

The home atmosphere really has suffered lately hasn’t it. I think the EFL charge is a factor because all our efforts on the pitch could be in vain. 

However there is a general apathy type feeling among fans probably because we knew we have/had money and blew it. Plus the league isn’t really that strong this year so it frustrates the hell out of us. 

It just feels like we will never go up. 

I think its a number of factors why the atmosphere aint good to be honest it aint been for some time at home , the style of football scoring goals etc is what we go to see ,seen that we are the 2nd lowest scorers at home this season answers the main reason why the atmosphere is so flat its almost nothing to do with efl as that possible punishment will be extremely unlikely to be this season anyways. there are other factors even at away games in concourses its defo dropped massively the noise levels this season you used to hear the gary hooper song, Michael hector 1 and loads more but these players have gone and we don't seem to have new players to fill the gap ones what create an identity etc . even under jos we were louder away watching utter dross ,but during the away games this season we are loud just purely on what we are watching on the pitch which away from home has been the complete opposite of home games. 

9 hours ago, crookesowl said:

More importantly... what’s happened to half time entertainment? I want to see some mug in a pair of loafers fall over on half way line trying to score a goal. 

Football is boring. Half time is boring. 

I still look forward to it though. Must be mad. 

yer what idiot decided to stop that? does chansiri think that stopped supporters going to spend there money at half time?

18 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Cultured has changed. Football isn’t the ‘escape from normal life’ opportunity it once was. It now has a lot more competition with regards to that, alternative things for people to do. Football has become less important in the grand scheme of things, people have other things going on in their lives

Back in the 80s, 90s and even early 00’s, technology was far less developed. Living was cheaper, everyone was happier. We have far too much negative poo going on in the world these days and people take that into match days 

‘ everyone was happier’.

Why do people make these generalisations ? Nostalgia is a hugely harmful weapon in the wrong hands.

Football is still the same game, 11 v 11. We play in the same stadium, in the same kit, against broadly the same teams.  The only thing changing is you. That’s fine, it is called growing old. My kids ( 10 and 7) feel the exact same excitement going into the stadium as I did 30 years ago. Nuhiu is as big a hero to them as Chapman was to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

‘ everyone was happier’.

Why do people make these generalisations ? Nostalgia is a hugely harmful weapon in the wrong hands.

Football is still the same game, 11 v 11. We play in the same stadium, in the same kit, against broadly the same teams.  The only thing changing is you. That’s fine, it is called growing old. My kids ( 10 and 7) feel the exact same excitement going into the stadium as I did 30 years ago. Nuhiu is as big a hero to them as Chapman was to me. 

I've been going to Hillsbro since the early 70's and it's not the same anymore. I don't just mean the football. The atmosphere has gone due to all seater stadiums. Bring ableto stand on the Kop, seven or eight of us all together, being able to move to a different part of the stand if we wanted, it's all gone along with the atmosphere. 

Guest Bulgaria
On 18/01/2020 at 22:08, Inspector Lestrade said:

Todays tactics

Kick the ball if it comes near you and do a bit of running if you want

I think your being generous. I don't think our tactics were that advanced.

If you look at the stats of the top clubs they ALL play their football in the opposites half and take the game to the opposition. 'most' of the top teams average just 3 players in their own half for the majority of the game. We play deep, we don't press high up and we are not positive/aggressive enough.

Do we have the team and manager to address this? Do we have an attitude throughout the club to be a front foot fortress? Do we have any leaders?

I haven't seen our positional stats but I can't imagine we'd have more than 3 players spending an average of their time in the opposition half.

We play without real belief, we seem like a club without any real belief...as a long term fan, I've got used to turning up without any real expectation. I turned up on Saturday and could only see one winner after our Leeds result and knowing that we also need to put on a transfer window show, for some of the incoming player agents seeing if we were a good place to put their players.

Maybe our players know that none of them would make it in the Prem. Maybe they are happy to see out their contracts and take a wage where we are.

It feels like a club without any real ambition.

Edited by toooldforthis

3 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

If you look at the stats of the top clubs they ALL play their football in the opposites half and take the game to the opposition. 'most' of the top teams average just 3 players in their own half for the majority of the game. We play deep, we don't press high up and we are not positive/aggressive enough.

Do we have the team and manager to address this? Do we have an attitude throughout the club to be a front foot fortress? Do we have any leaders?

I haven't seen our positional stats but I can't imagine we'd have more than 3 players spending an average of their time in the opposition half.

We play without real belief, we seem like a club without any real belief...as a long term fan, I've got used to turning up without any real expectation. I turned up on Saturday and could only see one winner after our Leeds result and knowing that we also need to put on a transfer window show, for some of the incoming player agents seeing if we were a good place to put their players.

Maybe our players know that none of them would make it in the Prem. Maybe they are happy to see out their contracts and take a wage where we are.

TBH - our style of play isn't new. We sat back and generally played in our own half under Stuart Gray and CC - remember the triangle passing between Westwood, Loovens and BB. We went in to half time at 0-0 for loads of games, and I remember people saying isn't not pretty or inspiring. We seem to have a cultural at Hillsborough of damage limitation and giving the opposition too much respect. The players we have brought in over the last 4/5 yrs have perpetuated this save for the odd one like FF, but even he's seen a luxury player in our slow, tenuous and conservation style of play.

Under CC we tended to up the tempo in the 2nd halves of games and finish teams off by bringing the likes of Joao on. Everyone remembered the results but it wasn't sustainable; particularly when the big games came.

Even after three changes of managers, we still play the same style with roughly the same manager. It's boring and increasingly delivers poor results.

On 19/01/2020 at 07:40, WelshOwl74 said:

Hillsborough is boring as hell

Must be one of the worst away days for the away fans 

The atmosphere starts with a drum and trumpit ffs its embarrassing

Then you pay £30 minimum to watch 11 millionaires not give a flying f#ck if they win or lose ,long as their pension gets topped up they don't care

I've not been to a home match in months ,the club make zero effort to persuade me or any fan to return ,so why should we make the effort 

DC needs a sense of reality 

While ever fans chose to be mugged off and attend he will just sit back and let it continue 

I still don't buy this whole the players don't care line (with a couple of possible exceptions). Mentally weak perhaps. Not good enough to change and dictate the course of the game..absolutely. But I don't personally see a lack of effort.

1 hour ago, toooldforthis said:

Yes, I am sure Monk tell's them to play that way.

Maybe it is the last throw of the Kick-a-ball era due to the old players.

The bottom line is that its too expensive for a football match - we all know that (apart from one bloke!)

This whole ''Match Day Experience'' is what you make it though in my opinion.

Do you really need something to entertain you at half time??

On 19/01/2020 at 11:39, mcmigo said:

I still love going I am afraid to say.

i love the ground, it is a place where so many memories are for me and my family. I enjoy the vast majority of games we play there, win, lose or draw. The losses make the wins more special.  I enjoy a last minute equaliser against Fulham by Nuhiu as much as I enjoyed a late winner vs Man Utd by Jemson 30 years or so ago.

I must say I get annoyed with the fans stuck in the past. The ‘ better in my day ‘ brigade who bleat on about standing, 5 quid on the kop, a good tear up in the streets afterwards and running Leeds across town,  Chris waddle and Mel sterland , it really creates a barrier between younger fans and old. The bitterness often descends from these nostalgic types still in the stands. They will never be happy as life will always look better through rose tinted glasses to the past.

Or they could be like me that knows garbage, lethargic,boring football when they see it .

You obviously still enjoy the experience and that's great but not everyone has your enthusiasm for the team and our time warped embarrassment of a stadium, not to mention prices charged 

imo these are the reasons folk even when we went 3rd still dont turn up or get over excited 

I went to my 5th game of the season v Cardiff and came away thinking I wont be back for a good while unless the standard of entertainment rises in general or at least attempt to try 

But i suppose we will have to wait and see what Monk can do given a couple of transfer windows before we can decide how he wants to play his football

Edited by the monk

10 minutes ago, torres said:

The bottom line is that its too expensive for a football match - we all know that (apart from one bloke!)

This whole ''Match Day Experience'' is what you make it though in my opinion.

Do you really need something to entertain you at half time??

Not me 

I watched the Leeds v QPR game at the weekend. Thought they both played with purpose.

I quite like watching Leeds play, most of their players look similar to me, but they all seem quite/very young, work their socks off, high tempo, high pressing, all work hard for each other.

Create sheds load of chances, if they had a decent striker and not Bamford they would be comfortable at the top I reckon. They may lack experience sometimes but their style of play is non stop.

OK we got a result at their place but I would take their style over ours any day.