Home games- Boring as hell

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I watched the Leeds v QPR game at the weekend. Thought they both played with purpose.

I quite like watching Leeds play, most of their players look similar to me, but they all seem quite/very young, work their socks off, high tempo, high pressing, all work hard for each other.

Create sheds load of chances, if they had a decent striker and not Bamford they would be comfortable at the top I reckon. They may lack experience sometimes but their style of play is non stop.

OK we got a result at their place but I would take their style over ours any day. 

So you would rather lose 2-0 and create chances every week??

For all their brilliant style - they haven't done anything as yet 

Edited by torres

56 minutes ago, the monk said:

Or they could be like me that knows garbage, lethargic,boring football when they see it .

You obviously still enjoy the experience and that's great but not everyone has your enthusiasm for the team and our time warped embarrassment of a stadium, not to mention prices charged 

imo these are the reasons folk even when we went 3rd still dont turn up or get over excited 

I went to my 5th game of the season v Cardiff and came away thinking I wont be back for a good while unless the standard of entertainment rises in general or at least attempt to try 

But i suppose we will have to wait and see what Monk can do given a couple of transfer windows before we can decide how he wants to play his football

My first ever match was Luton at home.

one nil win under Wilko, Gary megson scored for us. Loved it.  Football was direct, nothing pretty, just solid goalkeeping, defending and took our chance when it came.

i thought of that game earlier this season when we got exact same result against the same club at the same stadium. 
nothing has really changed apart from we are all getting older and our glasses getting redder with rose tinting.

Guest The Horse

At home, the team needs to take the game to the opposition.

Create chances.

Score goals.

That's what gets people shouting and singing.

I remember singing 'We're gonna score in a minute'. 

Unfortunately, singing 'We're gonna score eventually, maybe after trying to pass it around the back, invite pressure and then hoofing it up in hope to one lonely man' doesn't have the same ring to it.

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

My first ever match was Luton at home.

one nil win under Wilko, Gary megson scored for us. Loved it.  Football was direct, nothing pretty, just solid goalkeeping, defending and took our chance when it came.

i thought of that game earlier this season when we got exact same result against the same club at the same stadium. 
nothing has really changed apart from we are all getting older and our glasses getting redder with rose tinting.

It wasnt pretty but it caused plenty of attacking football and goal mouth excitement and the same team went on to finish 5th (?) In what is now the prem the following season ( beating Liverpool in their own back yard in the process)

That's not rose tinted specs that's fact ,as was 4 trips to Wembley in the space of a few weeks 

Now if I was seeing through rose tinted specs I'd say the 14 years that went before it were great but I'd be lying, it was utter shybo , pretty much the same standard we see at home these days in fact  ....dull ,non scoring tripe , and the only saving grace was it was relatively cheap for the 8k that turned up to watch it !

As I said you still get the buzz and that is great ,but a lot of us see it as it is, overpaid players that struggle to string 3 passes together being watched by over charged punters 

My lad is 23 and he has seen the square root of jack s..t in all that time and even he at his age and his mates have had enough  ......think i may get him some of the rose tinted specs you speak of so he can conjure some false memories ,but then again if you still get excited watching non scoring football perhaps it's you that's wearing them after all 

Edited by the monk

On 18/01/2020 at 20:09, s6 owl said:

The only thing that is consistant about us at the minute is how drab Hillsborough is on match days. We have lost our soul and its been like that for a while even the Huddersfield game in the play offs it was such a weird atmsophere and it's gotten worse and worse and worse ever since.

I think we all knew it wasn't going to happen.

7 hours ago, mcmigo said:

‘ everyone was happier’.

Why do people make these generalisations ? Nostalgia is a hugely harmful weapon in the wrong hands.

Football is still the same game, 11 v 11. We play in the same stadium, in the same kit, against broadly the same teams.  The only thing changing is you. That’s fine, it is called growing old. My kids ( 10 and 7) feel the exact same excitement going into the stadium as I did 30 years ago. Nuhiu is as big a hero to them as Chapman was to me. 

The vibe was different. 1974/75 season for example. We won 3 home games and the manager wasn't sacked until we made a poor start in Div 3 the following season. The players were poor but some were huge heroes and the crowd was remarkably stoical about it all. The atmosphere was better than now despite everything.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The vibe was different. 1974/75 season for example. We won 3 home games and the manager wasn't sacked until we made a poor start in Div 3 the following season. The players were poor but some were huge heroes and the crowd was remarkably stoical about it all. The atmosphere was better than now despite everything.  

Atmosphere is again a subjective thing. My wife loves coming to watch wednesday. The seats are good, the view excellent, no real swearing so kids don’t hear swear words etc. It isn’t intimidating in the slightest for a supporter.

the experience of the kop in those days very different. For some , better. For some, worse . 

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Atmosphere is again a subjective thing. My wife loves coming to watch wednesday. The seats are good, the view excellent, no real swearing so kids don’t hear swear words etc. It isn’t intimidating in the slightest for a supporter.

the experience of the kop in those days very different. For some , better. For some, worse . 

Horses for courses. That sounds like going to the theatre to me. Not what I want from my football. 

We have barely produced any good football at home since 2015/2016.

Thought we were decent under Bruce and the atmosphere picked up a bit. That's about it.

Think Monk is decent, but we've really got to up our game at home. The results are poor, but it is the displays too. Boring and rubbish.

17 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Horses for courses. That sounds like going to the theatre to me. Not what I want from my football. 

Indeed. Horses for courses.

I, like all parents , think the music the kids listen to is rubbish. They think the music I listen to is rubbish. It’s just different.

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We have barely produced any good football at home since 2015/2016.

Thought we were decent under Bruce and the atmosphere picked up a bit. That's about it.

Think Monk is decent, but we've really got to up our game at home. The results are poor, but it is the displays too. Boring and rubbish.

Bruce. Plenty of nil nils if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Indeed. Horses for courses.

I, like all parents , think the music the kids listen to is rubbish. They think the music I listen to is rubbish. It’s just different.

Bruce. Plenty of nil nils if I recall correctly.

Are you a Cliff fan ? If so I'm with your kids !

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

How could you have gone to the game on Saturday and not used a swear word? 

Sounds to me that when the away fans sing “is this a library” you’re thinking “if only”. 

21st Century football eh!? 

10 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Very different times, football cost bugger all and there was far less to do than now. 

The era you refer too must seem like a black and white film to anybody under 40.

18 hours ago, billyblack said:

I watched the Leeds v QPR game at the weekend. Thought they both played with purpose.

I quite like watching Leeds play, most of their players look similar to me, but they all seem quite/very young, work their socks off, high tempo, high pressing, all work hard for each other.

Create sheds load of chances, if they had a decent striker and not Bamford they would be comfortable at the top I reckon. They may lack experience sometimes but their style of play is non stop.

OK we got a result at their place but I would take their style over ours any day. 

I quite like watching leeds 2 every time they lose which is many times , was pure heaven beating them.

On 18/01/2020 at 20:09, Westfield Owl said:

Today was way worst than anything cooked up by Luhukay.

Indeed .. for all of Luhukays faults, at least we were never drubbed 5-0 .. certain elements might not have been great but the team somehow managed to scrape and fight .. we just looked woefully off the pace on Saturday it was unreal ..

On 18/01/2020 at 20:12, SiJ said:

To think we'd just beaten Leeds too and had a chance to further cement our place in the top 6. 

And we turn up, produce a horrific performance, and lose 5-0. 

You couldn't really make it up.

This is one of the biggest disappointments of this season and how we've performed at times. Everyones stuttering and no-one is taking advantage of that .. I thought we'd do that, but it seems we've just given up .. can't say the players have lost confidence in Monk already surely not but it looks like some just down tools when the going gets tough or when things don't go there way. Not to mention having Winnal as the target man playing long ball football ... madness Monk .. need Rhodes or play balls out wide and getting them in to the box ..

Look woefully out of ideas at the minute .. not to mention the poor mentality throughout the squad.

On 18/01/2020 at 21:26, Owls2k said:

Fans weren't calling it boring when we were sat 3rd before Christmas. Fans want to see wins, if they don't see wins they pick holes.

Indeed .. even though we were winning, we were scraping through games. The Bristol one was it, 1-0 win thanks to a pen in the 80th odd minute .. We've been lucky to win some games this season otherwise the league would be a whole different picture. It was like the 2nd season under Jos .. we scraped win's and you could see eventually that we'd be caught out and things start going wrong (3rd season)

Was hoping for more of a refresh in the Jan window ... ship out some duds and bring in fresh hungry young players ... Charlton in for Maddison. Thats the type we need. Hungry players with a point to prove .. instead we've got a bunch that are so comfortable they look like they are playing with their slippers on ...

6 hours ago, Geedee said:

Very different times, football cost bugger all and there was far less to do than now. 

The era you refer too must seem like a black and white film to anybody under 40.

Indeed it was an example of how things have changed. Hillsborough is a morgue at the moment. For the first time in years I am seriously contemplating not renewing my ST. The STs I buy would get me half way to the Musicman Stingray bass I covet.

I know our situation has been worse in the past - I did boycott during the Allen regime but welshed when it came to Cardiff.   It's just that it's so expensive to go nowadays plus the travelling time it takes mean the shitshow on display has more of a negative impact that it used to.  The trouble is I know the POTG prices would mean I would rarely if ever go again and I don't think I'm ready for that. 

On 18/01/2020 at 19:58, mattitheowl said:

Some short memories around here.

Gray spent nothing, we lacked creativity, we had no firepower up front. 

I couldn't blame SG as he had to. Grind results out with what he had available. 

Carlos first season was OK, but from him spubking all our cash on mainly drivel especially up top, it dosent exactly leave monk. With many options. 

Rhodes looked lika an £8+ million pound striker the other week...... Well for one match. Now he's back to Sunday league form again.