Home games- Boring as hell

The last three home games have been painful - literally a hand full of minutes of pressing and enjoyment. The owner, manager and players need to take responsibility.

Certain posters have blamed the fans for over 15 yrs on here and I remember Megson saying it was all tosh - he wanted players who bleed for the shirt, and he pretty much got that.

The atmosphere at Hillsborough now is non-existent - we've become a depressed collective, essentially expecting the worst.

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Fans weren't calling it boring when we were sat 3rd before Christmas. Fans want to see wins, if they don't see wins they pick holes.

Come on. The atmosphere has been non existent all season. Can’t tell me it wasn’t boring even when scraping past Luton. 

Just now, Owls2k said:

Fans weren't calling it boring when we were sat 3rd before Christmas. Fans want to see wins, if they don't see wins they pick holes.

Hell of a hole losing 0-5 at home to one of the worst away sides in the division.

At least we are good value to watch. Oh hang on..

Was having this conversation with my pal last night. We were saying the best part of match day is meeting up with friends before the match. Then as soon as we enter Hillsborough it rapidly goes down hill. 

The atmosphere is as bad as I can remember. I know this has been discussed in other threads but I put it down to two things: the Steve Bruce fallout after all the positivity and him then leaving us in the s**t, and the EFL charge hanging over us like the bloody grim reaper. There is no atmosphere, the players don't respond, they in turn give us nothing to shout about. It's a viscous bloody circle. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the fans for that horror show today. In fact I can't remember a home performance as bad as that since pre-Carlos. That includes the 3-0 defeats by Birmingham and Burton and the 4-0 defeat by Norwich. I'm struggling to think of a match where I have seen us roll over and let a team run through us, showing no heart or desire to fight like we did today. 

The OP has a fair point. The only really good home performances I can recall recently have been the 2 Norwich 5-1s, the Newcastle win and the 3-0 Leeds win.

There have been some great battling tactical away performances under Monk but I can't think of a really good home performance other than the second half against Brentford. The jury is out with him though. He hasn't been able to bring anyone in yet. 

I will continue to go. What's more, I will renew my season ticket but I fear the club are going to lose a lot of fans fairly quickly if things don't change. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Hell of a hole losing 0-5 at home to one of the worst away sides in the division.

At least we are good value to watch. Oh hang on..

So you're happy if we play like that if we win, but not if we do not? That'll be why nobody was whinging when we were third at Christmas.

Go back to last season with Jos playing naive, expansive tippy tappy football which often left us way to open at the back, I can't remember fans singing his praises after any defeats despite us never being over defensive. 

Fans want wins, simple.

9 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Come on. The atmosphere has been non existent all season. Can’t tell me it wasn’t boring even when scraping past Luton. 

Were you saying this at Christmas? That's my point, which is valid.

Style is a stick to beat with after a defeat. With Monk 'we're boring', with Jos 'we're too naive' etc. All a bit disingenuous. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Was having this conversation with my pal last night. We were saying the best part of match day is meeting up with friends before the match. Then as soon as we enter Hillsborough it rapidly goes down hill. 

The atmosphere is as bad as I can remember. I know this has been discussed in other threads but I put it down to two things: the Steve Bruce fallout after all the positivity and him then leaving us in the s**t, and the EFL charge hanging over us like the bloody grim reaper. There is no atmosphere, the players don't respond, they in turn give us nothing to shout about. It's a viscous bloody circle. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the fans for that horror show today. In fact I can't remember a home performance as bad as that since pre-Carlos. That includes the 3-0 defeats by Birmingham and Burton and the 4-0 defeat by Norwich. I'm struggling to think of a match where I have seen us roll over and let a team run through us, showing no heart or desire to fight like we did today. 

The OP has a fair point. The only really good home performances I can recall recently have been the 2 Norwich 5-1s, the Newcastle win and the 3-0 Leeds win.

There have been some great battling tactical away performances under Monk but I can't think of a really good home performance other than the second half against Brentford. The jury is out with him though. He hasn't been able to bring anyone in yet. 

I will continue to go. What's more, I will renew my season ticket but I fear the club are going to lose a lot of fans fairly quickly if things don't change. 

To be fair the atmosphere under Bruce was improving back end of last season. Him going definitely took the wind out of our sails. The EFL charge doesn’t help at all, because we all think winning games is ultimately going to be in vain. So what’s the point getting too excited? 

1 minute ago, stanningtonowl said:

Fans were saying it’s boring since the season started and before that.. Doesn’t  matter the league position. It’s dull and boring. 

Fans were saying it was boring before the season started? Blimey.

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Seriously, home games this season have been shocking. Dull football, one up front, next to no goals, atmosphere non existent as fans are immediately bored to submission. Easily worst home season since Stuart Gray. 

Anyone want a season ticket? Because I could quite happily not attend another one between now and May. 

I’ll have it cheers:image:

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Fans were saying it was boring before the season started? Blimey.

Yes. The world didn’t start this season. There was a season before. And before that. All very dull.  Keep up. 
I also went to Lincoln away and watched Reach pass it back to whoever was the right back and pass back and pass back. 
Dull and very boring. 
I won’t say try to going to matches because whichever saddos are on here clearly go to matches.
See how you go on season two. 

Edited by stanningtonowl

48 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Tbh that is at the heart of it for me. We are being ripped off, fans priced out and the club are doing fizz all to attract new supporters. It’s the same people at every game, and that will gradually start to fall away. DC needs to get a proper CEO in and give them full say or wee wee off. 

Can see him cutting his losses in the summer without promotion. Going to need to put in tens of millions more next few years.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

To be fair the atmosphere under Bruce was improving back end of last season. Him going definitely took the wind out of our sails. The EFL charge doesn’t help at all, because we all think winning games is ultimately going to be in vain. So what’s the point getting too excited? 

That's exactly what I mean when I say the post-Bruce effect. That was the most excited and positive our fan base had been since Carlos's first season. I couldn't wait for this season to start. Then he went and ripped up the script and left us in a right mess. 

Our slow, sometimes tepid style of play; normally based in our own half, or hoofing it to an isolated CF isn't inspiring and hasn't been for a while. The other side to this, and reason why so many fans have tolerated it, is we've won, normally grinding out games. It's not pleasant to watch, save for Bannan's passing.

We need to draw a line in the sand with this style and bring in more expansive and offensive players. The back line, save for a couple of full backs isn't that far away. We need two/three midfield players - a winger and two strikers - one to replace Fletcher and a nimble, pacy one who plays off the shoulder and down the channels.

Bring in a new team for next season and the optimism will return - we're stale and things/personnel need to change and move on.

6 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Yes. The world didn’t start this season. There was a season before. And before that. All very dull.  Keep up. 
I also went to Lincoln away and watched Reach pass it back to whoever was the right back and pass back and pass back. 
Dull and very boring. 
I won’t say try to going to matches because whichever saddos are on here clearly go to matches.
See how you go on season two. 

I do apologise you were bored when we played Lincoln. I hope you didn't go to Middlesbrough, Forest, Brighton or Leeds you may have got a bit of a fright. 

Hillsborough seems to drain any confidence out of the players as soon as they walk onto the pitch.

It's becoming more than a coincidence they are reflecting what's happening in the ground.

I know it's not the done thing for managers to do, and I know it's the team that should ignite the fans, but Monk should make a plea for the fans to make a noise to spur the players on, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.......at least for the first 10 minutes.

Then we should sell 2000 tickets in the center of the kop only for people who want to sing, at a reduced rate.