Luongo red card

Guest Theboylangers

Irrespective of our abysmal performance, the tone of which had already been set, a red card for that sort of challenge is ridiculous.

We got no more than we deserved out of the game today, and yet, we've started as lethargic and disinterested as this in more home games this season than not, with the only difference today being that we've been ruthlessly punished.

Still, given that I doubt we'd have been so utterly humiliated as we were had it not been for the sending off, and though it changes nothing about the fact that the players and manager need to look at themselves first and foremost, I've no doubt the ref's ridiculous decision to send Luongo off killed the game as a contest.

Should our appeal be successful, the ref ought to serve the 3 match ban in Luongo's stead. Refs absolutely shouldn't be having this kind of impact on a game.

We were awful before the sending off so may not have won anyway, but it certainly made it much more difficult.  As for the red card, very poor decision from a very poor ref who should probably go back to the A League, which is about his standard.

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

I said before the game that this ref was card happy, 59 yellows in 15 Championship games. He set his stall out early by booking Borner for an innocuous foul and minutes later sent Luongo off for that.

It didn't look anything like a red to me at the game, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt in case it was a worse challenge than I thought. But I saw a poor quality video of it at HT and having now seen it properly on SSN it's an appalling decision. The ref indicates a stamp, but to show a red he has to be 100% sure it was one - but how can he have actually seen a stamp when there wasn't one? 

Its actually giving a strong case for VAR in the Championship- the implementation of it in the PL has been poor but it does at least get the vast majority of decisions correct, eventually. The refs at our level need it more because they're incompetent and don't get basic decisions correct. 

Borner got caught in possession and proceeded to hack his man down. It was far worse than Luongo’s red card challenge and, a booking everyday of the week.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Was not a sending off offence but that doesnt make an excuse for a woeful performance.

Do not think having read all the above that anyone is trying to use the red to excuse the performance, it was woeful yes.  The debate in this topic is red or not red, for me at the time did not even see it as a foul.  If that is a red, and the assault on Palmer a yellow, then the games broke.

• Thanks 2

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

It was a shocking decision. 

In saying that, I thought Luongo looked half asleep like the rest of them. 

We were woeful yesterday; utterly abject. 

Looked like we'd been on the pi55. 

Love to know what the players were discussing in their pre-match huddle. 

It didn’t look a red from a long way away on the kop.

The referee just seemed very naive to me all game.

I know Luongo represents Australia, has he played there, do him and the ref have history.

As for not changing the result, we will never know.

With 11 on the pitch if we had gone in at HT 1-0 down who knows what could have happened.

We were pretty poor first half against Brentford, went in 1-0 down, but were a different team second half and Monk would have got a reaction second half.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Albertowl said:

Well it “changed the complex of the game” , so Garry told us 3 times in his post match interview...

Changed the COMPLEX ...       WTAF does that mean?

Think he meant complexion. 

1 hour ago, Albertowl said:

Well it “changed the complex of the game” , so Garry told us 3 times in his post match interview...

Changed the COMPLEX ...       WTAF does that mean?

Harder? Which of course it did as we were on our arse with 11 men. Definitely wrong call for a red.

Two things about the incident and subsequent decision:

The 'foul'

1. There player went to ground to win the challenge. Luongo is closer to the ball with his standing foot placed next to the ball and he's going through a of kicking the ball:

image.thumb.png.305a4546acb670447e84eb0a2b791061.png

2. Travis gets a toe end on the ball - a fair challenge. Luongo is still attempting to kick the ball and misses:

image.thumb.png.1941ba0b499271a683280f1cf1a0f893.png

3. Luongo in following through his kick at the ball catches Travis' shin:

image.thumb.png.e04f2f74092a0c89da9d761d9e81aaca.png

4. Luongo is still following through the kick with the ball now gone. At no point does Luongo move his standing foot and trajectory of his kick at the ball:

image.thumb.png.a7614f239f2cf73a07fc7ff5c514b7a5.png

2. The 'ref'

This clown who is around 10 yrds from the incident then pulls a straight red, signaling a stamp. Where was the stamp?

image.thumb.png.efcae1cb4cd14313e722c9b4247fa362.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The potential career ending injury to Travis as a result of the challenge shouldn't influence the red car decision, the ref allowed it to. 

No hard feelings against Travis though, I hope one day he can take to the field again at some level. Best wishes to him on his recovery; it'll be a long hard road but I'm sure he'll have access to some top quality medical help from Blackburn.

• Haha 2