Luongo red card

Guest Theboylangers

Just playing devil's advocate here (trying to judge whether it will be overturned).

At the time from the North stand it looked as though Travis had launched himself into Loungo and as a result had caught Luongo's foot - he'd hit Luongo not the other way around. Not much Luongo could do about it. He suggests to the referee that he tried to pull his leg out of the way.

The graphics from Animis show the incident clearly. In image 2 Travis has already won the ball and Luongo is about to swing his leg. Could Luongo have pulled out at that point? Watching the replay it looks like Luongo swings his leg some time after the ball has gone (something I didn't see at the time). In fact he makes a pronounced swipe after the ball has gone. That looks bad and maybe that is what will count against him.

On the other hand maybe he couldn't pull out of swinging his leg but was at least trying to lift it higher to avoid Travis and that's why his action looks so exaggerated.

It shouldn't have been a red but it might not get overturned.

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

It was a yellow but you'd expect a talking to at such an early point of the game

It was cynical a foul as you’ll ever see, a yellow card 99/100. The referee doesn’t give you a talking to when you make no attempt to play the ball and hack down the man.

It’s irrelevant anyway, the red card didn’t cause yesterday’s result. We’d have took a hiding anyway.

I had reservations about the ref beforehand as he’s known for dishing out cards like parking tickets on Herries road. 

I don’t know what backwater league he came from but he better improve quickly or he’ll be reffing in the Evostick league by the end of the year. 

Still doesn’t excuse what was thunder***t of a performance by us though.