Luongo red card

Guest Theboylangers

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Absolutely. The irony is that the kalvin Phillips challenge is one of the worst I’ve seen in a very long time. The qpr player is lucky that kalvin has just missed his standing leg otherwise that is a career ending injury. Phillips should get a 6 game ban for that. 

well I hope the league increases his ban and also gives there keeper 9 game ban like forestieri got. 

3 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

To be fair, Borner took the guy out and took one for the team. Definitely a yellow. 

Fair enough, I was some way from it but it didn't look too bad to me, you certainly usually see worse fouls than that go uncarded especially early in the game. 

The more I watch it the more I think Luongo is f*cking stupid 

As a footballer you should know when to go in, pull out, or ride and make a meal of the challenge. He must’ve known he wouldn’t make that challenge, and the way the Blackburn player dived in if he could went over and rolled around like he did, it could’ve been a completely different story. 

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Both 

Sorry, Philips was a very bad challenge today. Defo red card. If he caught him, that would be curtains for the qpr player. I agree the hoilett challenge was bad and should’ve been a red, but that was worse.

Luongo wasn’t a foul IMO.

18 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I said before the game that this ref was card happy, 59 yellows in 15 Championship games. He set his stall out early by booking Borner for an innocuous foul and minutes later sent Luongo off for that.

It didn't look anything like a red to me at the game, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt in case it was a worse challenge than I thought. But I saw a poor quality video of it at HT and having now seen it properly on SSN it's an appalling decision. The ref indicates a stamp, but to show a red he has to be 100% sure it was one - but how can he have actually seen a stamp when there wasn't one? 

Its actually giving a strong case for VAR in the Championship- the implementation of it in the PL has been poor but it does at least get the vast majority of decisions correct, eventually. The refs at our level need it more because they're incompetent and don't get basic decisions correct. 

you want var in the championship? I bloody hate it totally ruined football . I cant stand watching the premier league because of it , that last min west ham goal last week summed up var . things are very bad at min down at Hillsborough but please no no no var.  llongo will get this overturned , and even if he didn't get a red we would have still been well beaten today. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

The more I watch it the more I think Luongo is f*cking stupid 

As a footballer you should know when to go in, pull out, or ride and make a meal of the challenge. He must’ve known he wouldn’t make that challenge, and the way the Blackburn player dived in if he could went over and rolled around like he did, it could’ve been a completely different story. 

It's a contact sport fella well just about anyway but unfortunately for us the referee saw it as an opportunity to make himself centre of attention and dished out the red card.

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Fair enough, I was some way from it but it didn't look too bad to me, you certainly usually see worse fouls than that go uncarded especially early in the game. 

It was right in front of us.  Just clumsily tripped him up cos he was out of position (we wont know if it was intentional)

Only reason must be him putting his authority on the game.

I've only seen the replay once and not even sure he touched him. The tw@t rolls around likes he's been shot.

Despite the awful start I reckon we could have pretty much got something out of the game.  We usually grow into games and the second half could have been totally different.  The ones saying we wouldn't have gotten anything are just being over reactionary.

We just sweep this under the carpet and hope its a one off.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the decision (and it sounds like it was wrong), hopefully some good will come out of it and today serves as a big wake up call to the club, which frankly is badly needed. And especially to Monk, who I’m sure, has learnt an awful lot about his players today. 

3 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Can blame the red card all we want. Yes it was certainly harsh and everyone was bemused, but we would have got hammered either way. 

We'll never know for sure but I reckon it would have been less than the 5-0, might even have come back to win game, we've started games badly before and turned things around. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The final element of the 2nd goal was a little unfortunate but could have been prevented before that. Blackburn's full-back/wing-back took the p**s out of Reach and Fox all 1st half and did so to create space for the shot, Dawson got a weak hand to the shot and will probably feel he should have done more to turn it around the post but he was unfortunate to see it rebound in off him.

The 3rd goal was more haphazard defending than the first one.  

I was right behind the shot. It looked in all the way and was an unbelievable save just to keep it out. I agree he was unlucky with the rebound.

Dawson was the only one to come out with some credit despite conceeding 5 as he made 2 or 3 other good saves and could do nothing about the goals.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It was right in front of us.  Just clumsily tripped him up cos he was out of position (we wont know if it was intentional)

Only reason must be him putting his authority on the game.

I've only seen the replay once and not even sure he touched him. The tw@t rolls around likes he's been shot.

Despite the awful start I reckon we could have pretty much got something out of the game.  We usually grow into games and the second half could have been totally different.  The ones saying we wouldn't have gotten anything are just being over reactionary.

We just sweep this under the carpet and hope its a one off.

I agree. We were awful in that first 20 minutes but it was only 0-1. There are probably thousands if not millions of examples of a team being awful in the first quarter of a football game but turning it round so it's ludicrous when people say we'd have got battered anyway with 11 men. We may have lost, we may not have, but I'm 100% sure it wouldnt have been 0-5. 

The red card completely changed/ruined the game, removing any bite from our midfield ensuring that we got overrun in that area and were out of the game by HT and then the subs were used and didn't change the shape of the team at all. Had it stayed 11v11 we had the option of changing formation and adding an extra striker or Harris but that was gone. The refs incorrect decision singlehandedly ruined the game as a contest. 

Yes we didn't turn up and who knows how the game would have gone with 11 Vs 11. The fact we was none existent as a team though doesn't excuse inept officials. We didn't deserve anything and after that performance in any other job the players and officials would be lucky to get paid never mind keep their jobs.

There was a number of examples of extremely poor officiating including the "elbow" incident and the foul by nuhiu when he came on. My particular favourite was the you can't take a quick freekick as winalls putting his boot back on quickly followed by yes go quick whilst I give the fullback a lecture . 

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

5-0 is unacceptable I agree. But we were fighting a losing battle the minute the ref showed the red.

At 1-0 Blackburn with 11 men you’ve always got a chance despite how poor we started. The 2nd and 3rd goals were fairly fortunate too. 

Bad day at the office. But it was a bit of a freak day. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

That was a yellow card every day of the week.

But he didn't give one.

Why?

Because he will have looked at the red card incident at half time and been embarrassed.

Genuine question:- what on? Do we provide the referees room with a means of watching the first half back?

3 hours ago, mark77 said:

I was right behind the shot. It looked in all the way and was an unbelievable save just to keep it out. I agree he was unlucky with the rebound.

Dawson was the only one to come out with some credit despite conceeding 5 as he made 2 or 3 other good saves and could do nothing about the goals.

Got to disagree and I've seen it back and he should have got a stronger hand on it. His command of the defence throughout the game was non existent and his kicking which has to be among the worst in the division shows no sign of improvement.