Urhoghide should be seen as Palmer’s successor and not his replacement

13 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

He made a big mistake against Leeds in the first half letting Harrison get in front of him. Inexplicably and luckily for Urhoghide,  Harrison missed a sitter. He got caught out a couple of other times too. 

All understandable and did great at other times.

Palmers played hundreds of Championship games for a number of managers who presumably know a bit about the game.

Palmer makes mistakes every game (as does every player) its who makes the least mistakes that matters and hopefully the new lad will learn from his and try to improve in that area. 

Maybe he should ask for Palmers advice

We now have, potentially, two decent right backs, let’s just leave it at that shall we. Palmer saw off the challenge of Iorfa and Odubajo, when most were tipping him to be squeezed out. When he is fit, let’s hope he again rises to the challenge of the young lad. Urhoghide has made a promising start, in two tricky away games, let’s not heap any unnecessary pressure on the lad

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

hahaha...please make it stop!! 

Remember when blokes worked their rocks off in the steelworks for 40/50 hours trained twice a week and played Saturday and Sunday every week 

Dont recall any of them getting "burn out"........is it a new condition?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, the monk said:

Remember when blokes worked their rocks off in the steelworks for 40/50 hours trained twice a week and played Saturday and Sunday every week 

it’s nonsense mate isn’t it. That lad is 19 and fit as a fiddle. If his form drops then yes he gets pulled but until that time it’s his position to lose and why not? 

not seen him yet so cant comment on the strength of just the highlights .heard a lot about his enthusiasm but not anything about getting forward and putting crosses in . ..for those that have seen him  does he  look like he can offer much going forward ?

Edited by torryowl

32 minutes ago, torryowl said:

not seen him yet so cant comment on the strength of just the highlights .heard a lot about his enthusiasm but not anything about getting forward and putting crosses in . ..for those that have seen him  does he  look like he can offer much going forward ?

Well he bulldozers forward clearing out anybody that gets in his way. Did it a couple times on Saturday.

At Leeds he didn’t manage to get any delivery into the box at the end of it.

Didn’t go to Brighton 

3 hours ago, the monk said:

They also rarely reached 50 years old too pal. Those that didnt die in an accident that is.

Any guesses why?

Edited by Birley Owl 1867
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southstand said:

Simple. Let’s not carried away 

kid still got a lot to do before I would consider him a regular first teamer.

Agree to an extent and while Palmer is out Monk will be able to see how he progresses and judge from that.

*forgot to say "more importantly owlstalk will be able to judge from that" lol

Edited by Hookowl
afterthought
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

I fear that there will be a real risk of a clamour from fans to play Urhoghide ahead of Palmer. I hope that this doesn’t happen because it would be unfair on both players. Palmer is in the box seat at present and we should accept and acknowledge this. 

If that’s the case then someone else needs to be Palmer’s replacement because he’s not good enough.

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

We have to manage him well because we did the same with Penney looked a find last season then after 10 or so games Dross started messing with his position and he started to struggle because of this and he eventually disappeared from the first team.

If this lad is a right back , play him there game in game out and give him a chance to win the place as his own.

The same goes for the centre backs, Lees need to sit and wait now for a chance though it could be a long wait as Iorfa/Borner partnership is the best we have had since Walker/Thome 

Penney started to get found out once the halo of being an unknown quantity faded.

The Test for Big O will be whether he is good enough from an ability perspective and strong enough from a physical and mental capacity 

5 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

rubbish...how can a 19 year old lad be at risk of "burn out"??

Palmer has no right to first choice!! He isn't Roland Nilsson and Palmer has to ear that shirt back IMO.

When players first get in to the first team most decent managers 'manage' them. It's a big step up in pace and quality. There's no harm in giving them a bit of a break and it can help keep their feet on the ground. Nobody is saying Palmer should be first choice whatever the circumstances. If the young lad is the better player he will replace Palmer given time but just now a little bit of caution in how many games Urhoghide plays on the trot is wise.

It looks to me like the youngster has got all the tools to be a cracking player, let's give him the chance to develop at his own pace without rushing him. Personally I'd keep him in for his home debut, let him get the taste for playing at Hillsborough, I'm sure he will be really well received by the crowd after his last 2 performances. Then I'd consider giving a couple of games on the bench.  Bring him back and give him another 4 or 5 games. By the time we get to the start of next season he should be well up for it.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it but it's the way i've seen it done over the years and it seems to work.

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

it’s nonsense mate isn’t it. That lad is 19 and fit as a fiddle. If his form drops then yes he gets pulled but until that time it’s his position to lose and why not? 

Burnout is mental not physical.

Just another on in this thread who has no idea what it actually is...

4 hours ago, the monk said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, prowl said:

When players first get in to the first team most decent managers 'manage' them. It's a big step up in pace and quality. There's no harm in giving them a bit of a break and it can help keep their feet on the ground. Nobody is saying Palmer should be first choice whatever the circumstances. If the young lad is the better player he will replace Palmer given time but just now a little bit of caution in how many games Urhoghide plays on the trot is wise.

It looks to me like the youngster has got all the tools to be a cracking player, let's give him the chance to develop at his own pace without rushing him. Personally I'd keep him in for his home debut, let him get the taste for playing at Hillsborough, I'm sure he will be really well received by the crowd after his last 2 performances. Then I'd consider giving a couple of games on the bench.  Bring him back and give him another 4 or 5 games. By the time we get to the start of next season he should be well up for it.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it but it's the way i've seen it done over the years and it seems to work.

the original post says Palmer should get his shirt back...which means he’s an automatic choice for RB/FB. 

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Burnout is mental not physical.

Just another on in this thread who has no idea what it actually is...

again what a load of rubbish...if a 19 year old can’t come into a side that it currently sat in the playoffs, with no pressure on him then he isn’t going to make it. We’re not a side battling relegation and getting hammered every week!!! 

mental burn out, seriously the lad is 19 and absolutely buzzing and craving a living as a professional there is no better time perform and prove his worth.

seriously this is a thread of football manager players looking for something that isn’t there!!