Urhoghide should be seen as Palmer’s successor and not his replacement

I'm sure Monk and the team will look after Urhoghide and manage him accordingly. 

We don't want to risk burning him out. Too much too soon. Etc etc. 

At the minute though....

The lads playing well. 

When Palmers ankle is better I think he's got to earn the shirt back. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm sure Monk and the team will look after Urhoghide and manage him accordingly. 

We don't want to risk burning him out. Too much too soon. Etc etc. 

At the minute though....

The lads playing well. 

When Palmers ankle is better I think he's got to earn the shirt back. 

I don’t think Palmer should have to earn back his place, I think that Urhoghide has to be managed (as you also state) and taken out of the team when it is the right time to. I think that Palmer having to earn back his place puts pressure on Urhoghide to keep his and, in turn, risks burnout. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Haha 1

I underrstand where you are coming from and for years I had the same hope that Palmer could make the position his own.

I do think his control of the ball looks to have improved but going forward he creates so little and of course he never scores.

Most worryingly his errors against West Brom away and Cardiff home were just inexplicable.

In al honesty I lost faith that he could tie up a position where we have had some really fine players, Wilf Smith, Mel Sterland, Roland, Simek and to a lesser degree Buxton.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Shouldn't we wait to see how Urhoghide performs over a decent period of time first?

If he's putting in better performances, then the shirt should be his.

My view too mate. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I don’t think Palmer should have to earn back his place, I think that Urhoghide has to bebmanaged (as you also state) and taken out of the team when it is the right time to. I think that Palmer having to earn back his place puts pressure on Urhoghide to keep his and, in turn, risks burnout. 

I think the challenge will do Palmer good to be honest. Keep him on his toes.

As for the boy....I think the kid will charge about putting on 100% whether Palmer is fit and challenging or not. He's clearly got bags of enthusiasm.

I trust the manager to give him a breather when the time is right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing away against 2 good teams and being the underdog has suited the new lad.

The question needs to be answered when we have more of the ball and he has to be an attacking outlet 

Yes he can run with it, not seen a final ball as yet 

(I'm not saying that Palmer has the best delivery in the world either!)

Edited by torres

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I don’t think Palmer should have to earn back his place, I think that Urhoghide has to be managed (as you also state) and taken out of the team when it is the right time to. I think that Palmer having to earn back his place puts pressure on Urhoghide to keep his and, in turn, risks burnout. 

rubbish...how can a 19 year old lad be at risk of "burn out"??

Palmer has no right to first choice!! He isn't Roland Nilsson and Palmer has to ear that shirt back IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

Completely agree if urhoghide  is playing well you can’t just shoe horn Palmer back in for the sake of it, he needs to earn that right to be back in the team otherwise what’s the point in progressing the youth players.

You’ve hit in the correct term here in “progressing”. Playing Urhoghide constantly might not progress him, it might send him backwards. 

Ok, I know we’re fans and it’s what fans do but we’re pinning all our hopes on Urhoghide. If you step back and consider things with a clear mind, you can see that we (the fans) are setting up two players (Urhoghide and Palmer) to fail. We have form as well; we did exactly this with Ash Baker. Urhoghide‘s introduction into the  team and development into a first team regular needs to be handled better than Baker’s. 

• Like 1

You have to manage each player on a case by case basis. Some young players can come into the team and perform consistently from the off. Others need a more gradual introduction. Monk will know which category urhoghide fits into.

We should also be careful not to get carried away or expect too much too soon. Let's not forget Penney who got hyped up on here as the next big thing only to soon lose his place and get shipped out of the club.

As long as he is performing as well as he has done so far he ought to retain his place IMO. As for Liam, he will have to be patient just like Borner and Lees had to be when they lost their place.

Early days yet, after all Baker, Penney and Van Aken all made favourable impressions initially yet failed to make a first team spot their own. We really ought not be expecting a 19-year-old kid who was rejected by Wimbledon to be anywhere near the finished article yet. However, any game time he gets is likely improve him as a player.

Let the kid just get some bloody games under his belt before we start fussing over how the competition for a starting spot should be conducted.

We've really no reason at the moment not to think Monk won't know how to best manage this.

And as for appealing against fans' expectations; it's like p*ssing into the wind.

• Haha 1

The lad has done well but he’s still got an awful lot to prove that will already be second nature to Palmer simply through experience. 

Signs are good and I wish him (and Palmer) well but one step at a time. It’s fairly likely we’re getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

You have to manage each player on a case by case basis. Some young players can come into the team and perform consistently from the off. Others need a more gradual introduction. Monk will know which category urhoghide fits into.

We should also be careful not to get carried away or expect too much too soon. Let's not forget Penney who got hyped up on here as the next big thing only to soon lose his place and get shipped out of the club.

This! This is all I’m trying to say. I’m excited as the next person about Urhoghide but history shows us that expecting too much of a young player can fvvck them up good and proper. 

Urhoghide might succeed Palmer with months but it might also take years to do so. 

Watching the performance against Leeds it was clear to me he isn't up to Palmer's standard on the ball.

There were a number of times that players could have passed to him but didn't. 

That isn't to deride his performance, there were some excellent moments and he seems stronger and faster than Palmer so will probably develop to be a really good player. 

But it should be Palmer's place.

• Haha 2