Urhoghide should be seen as Palmer’s successor and not his replacement

7 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

again what a load of rubbish...if a 19 year old can’t come into a side that it currently sat in the playoffs, with no pressure on him then he isn’t going to make it. We’re not a side battling relegation and getting hammered every week!!! 

mental burn out, seriously the lad is 19 and absolutely buzzing and craving a living as a professional there is no better time perform and prove his worth.

seriously this is a thread of football manager players looking for something that isn’t there!! 

You have no idea 

Every player in a squad is a replacement for someone, if they are not then they need to f\/ck off.

If Palmer wants to get back in the team he either earns it or Big O loses form.

Same with Westwood, Lees, Hutch, Harris, FF and all the others not in the first team.

Come on as a sub, takes those minutes and do everything you can to get in the first 11.

For instance take TAA, was back up to Clyne. Injury meant he got an opportunity, he took it with both hands and has never looked back since.

6 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

You have to manage each player on a case by case basis. Some young players can come into the team and perform consistently from the off. Others need a more gradual introduction. Monk will know which category urhoghide fits into.

We should also be careful not to get carried away or expect too much too soon. Let's not forget Penney who got hyped up on here as the next big thing only to soon lose his place and get shipped out of the club.

On the subject of Penney do we know if he is back ?? 

To respond to the OP long term I think he will be a CB not a RB so don’t think he will he Palmers long term replacement. However he has started well and deservedly has the shirt. 
Palmer has improved but he is someone who I do want to improve on. Was hoping Odubajo would be the one but Monk has quickly debunked this.

13 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

the original post says Palmer should get his shirt back...which means he’s an automatic choice for RB/FB. 

I never said that. I said that I was concerned that fans would clamour to play Urhoghide ahead of Palmer and nothing about Palmer getting his shirt back. My posts relate to understanding that we need to allow Urhoghide to develop correctly. I think there’s no doubt that Palmer will get his shirt back relatively quickly but it would be unfair on both Palmer and Urhoghide if that fans start shouting for Urhoghide to be first choice. Here is my opening post. 

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

I fear that there will be a real risk of a clamour from fans to play Urhoghide ahead of Palmer. I hope that this doesn’t happen because it would be unfair on both players. Palmer is in the box seat at present and we should accept and acknowledge this. 

Ok, this kid has come in at right back.    I've seen video's of him playing left back.   Others say he's a centre back - then at least one other person says central midfielder.

I take it this kid hasn't nailed down a position yet?

Edit:   I keep saying kid for a reason, I am some way of being able to get odd-jobs name right without looking it up, never mind this kids name

Edited by Salmonbones

Burnout?   So he got cramp - he's going to be on the single biggest massive high of his life having played in those two games.

Next up is hopefully a game in front of the home fans - and lets be honest, we can be cruel to players under performing, but i've never seen it done to emerging players.

Look! All I’m saying is that we shouldn’t heap the pressure on this young lad. Whether it’s Palmer, Fox, Lees, Börner/Iorfa, Hutchison or whoever that he replaces, we shouldn’t expect him to be the next big thing that has to play every game. He needs to be allowed to develop. After two games, he looks like he’s going to be a good ‘in but let’s not fvvcking weigh him down with expectation before he’s started. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Stop been a drama queen the world is no worse or better than ever before

But yeah play him

typical OT though isn’t it. Let’s try been a cyber manager and come up with terrible theories/ideas and spout poop!! 

Did Rooney, Shearer, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and player like that suffer with “burn out” once they had made their first team debut? On a similar level and closer to home...did Harry maguire, Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton suffer “burn out” once they had made their first team debut? No they didn’t, they went from strength to strength so this “burn out” Theory is a load of big fat, dangly gonads!! 

Just now, Wednesday_Jack said:

typical OT though isn’t it. Let’s try been a cyber manager and come up with terrible theories/ideas and spout poop!! 

Did Rooney, Shearer, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and player like that suffer with “burn out” once they had made their first team debut? On a similar level and closer to home...did Harry maguire, Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton suffer “burn out” once they had made their first team debut? No they didn’t, they went from strength to strength so this “burn out” Theory is a load of big fat, dangly gonads!! 

He's nineteen loads of players have started at that age.  Bet he's bouncing about looking forward to Saturday, hope he's enjoying the attention he's getting but keeping it real.

He's on the verge of really kick starting his professional career, if he keeps progressing then he can look forward to a rewarding career  plying his trade to at least (at the moment) an above average level.

Hope he will keep grounded realise this is where real work starts and is well advised by the club.  

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Shouldn't we wait to see how Urhoghide performs over a decent period of time first?

If he's putting in better performances, then the shirt should be his.

This. He’s not 16. Good enough, old enough

15 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

He's nineteen loads of players have started at that age.  Bet he's bouncing about looking forward to Saturday, hope he's enjoying the attention he's getting but keeping it real.

He's on the verge of really kick starting his professional career, if he keeps progressing then he can look forward to a rewarding career  plying his trade to at least (at the moment) an above average level.

Hope he will keep grounded realise this is where real work starts and is well advised by the club.  

Exactly that...no need to pull him from the side. He's been more than good enough and good luck to the lad. For me he can be there for as long as he's good enough/performing.

Palmer is nothing special, yes he's improved and is steady but that is all...steady. 

6 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They also rarely reached 50 years old too pal. Those that didnt die in an accident that is.

Any guesses why?

I'd guess it was the conditions they worked in rather than the hours they out in. I doubt the lad is going to be subjected to dust, noise and fumes (unless we play the grunters away).

11 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I’m leaving that one to the manager... he sees them both on a daily basis and it’s my guess that he will pick whichever one is most useful to the team.

Anyway, it’s good to go from screaming that we need new fullbacks to not being sure which effective fullback is the best.

This. We have a quality manager these days and have 100% faith in what he’s doing and trust him to make the right call.

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think the challenge will do Palmer good to be honest. Keep him on his toes.

As for the boy....I think the kid will charge about putting on 100% whether Palmer is fit and challenging or not. He's clearly got bags of enthusiasm.

I trust the manager to give him a breather when the time is right. 

Palmer looked better when he wasn't guaranteed first shirt and Jack Hunt was around.  Think he'll raise his game accordingly.