Urhoghide should be seen as Palmer’s successor and not his replacement

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The lad has done well but he’s still got an awful lot to prove that will already be second nature to Palmer simply through experience. 

Signs are good and I wish him (and Palmer) well but one step at a time. It’s fairly likely we’re getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

This. Absolutely this.  My guess is that there is a succession plan that relates to Urhoghide making one of the defensive positions his and my guess is that plan doesn’t involve him coming into the team and instantly replacing Palmer. 

Edited by shandypants

Probably over time we will see him make appearances right across the defensive line. Recall BFR when Roland got injured asking John Harkes had he ever played right back "Yes boss" was the retort; He looked like a fish out of water for about ten minutes but quickly settled.

I think he like Iorfa has a bit of that Palmer drive in him. Could be something brewing here ! 

I’m leaving that one to the manager... he sees them both on a daily basis and it’s my guess that he will pick whichever one is most useful to the team.

Anyway, it’s good to go from screaming that we need new fullbacks to not being sure which effective fullback is the best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shandypants said:

This! This is all I’m trying to say. I’m excited as the next person about Urhoghide but history shows us that expecting too much of a young player can fvvck them up good and proper. 

Urhoghide might succeed Palmer with months but it might also take years to do so. 

You honestly think Penney's progress has been stifled by the fans' expectations?

You don't think the change of management and then injury last season was the main reason for him ultimately finding himself down the pecking order?

7 minutes ago, cowl said:

You honestly think Penney's progress has been stifled by the fans' expectations?

You don't think the change of management and then injury last season was the main reason for him ultimately finding himself down the pecking order?

Urho's (fun fact: 'urho' could be translated as 'valiant' in Finnish) sudden appearance in the first team could do very good for Penney. He'll know that it's possible to feature if you are good enough. I'm hoping that he gets fit and starts pushing for a place to get more competition there.

The lads only just come into the squad, made his league and cup debut in a week and some fans are hailing as the best player.

Give the lad a break and time, just think if we get tonked by Blackburn and he makes a mistake, the same fans will be asking why he was playing/

Give the kid a break.

• Thanks 1

Just now, FinnishOwl said:

Urho's (fun fact: 'urho' could be translated as 'valiant' in Finnish) sudden appearance in the first team could do very good for Penney. He'll know that it's possible to feature if you are good enough. I'm hoping that he gets fit and starts pushing for a place to get more competition there.

I assume he'll be going back out to Germany once their winter break's over. I hope so anyway, as he's far better off getting games out there than playing for U23s back here.

Perhaps, we'll get him to sign another contract before he goes, but really, Penney will probably only come back into the equation from next summer onwards.

I’m really interested to see how Monk develops Urhoghide now. He’s done extremely well against two pretty good sides but playing at that level consistently might be beyond him at only 19 years of age.
He should certainly be a member of the match day squad from what we’ve seen up to now, and it would be cruel to just drop him because Palmer is fit. For me it’s Palmers shirt to win back but at the first signs of tiredness from Urhoghide he should be withdrawn like he was on Saturday.

Careful handling Mr Monk & team.

Watching the Leeds highlights he got caught napping on a couple of occasions and on another day it could have cost us more dearly.  In reality he’s bound to make mistakes, but it will be his strength of character and inner belief that will be the difference. In fairness to Palmer I think he’s improved this season, but in the modern game you’d probably want him to show a bit more offensively.  

The real test for the young lad will come on the back of when he makes a real howler. Hopefully he’s got what it takes to brush off a few setbacks, but Palmer’s no world beater so I hope they can push each other on.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

I think having beside Big Dom beside him is the perfect opportunity for Urhoghide to have a decent run of games. He was caught out of position a couple of times against L*eds, but straight away Iorfa covered for him. Definitely a raw talent that could become a very good right back. 

We have to manage him well because we did the same with Penney looked a find last season then after 10 or so games Dross started messing with his position and he started to struggle because of this and he eventually disappeared from the first team.

If this lad is a right back , play him there game in game out and give him a chance to win the place as his own.

The same goes for the centre backs, Lees need to sit and wait now for a chance though it could be a long wait as Iorfa/Borner partnership is the best we have had since Walker/Thome 

Guest Ferkorf

Palmer used to be a right midfileder aswell so he will always be a decent player to have around the squad.

After seeing the young lads runs forward saturday against Leeds I'm wondering if he can be pushed forward in future.

One step at a time anyway.

30 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The lads only just come into the squad, made his league and cup debut in a week and some fans are hailing as the best player.

Give the lad a break and time, just think if we get tonked by Blackburn and he makes a mistake, the same fans will be asking why he was playing/

Give the kid a break.

He made a big mistake against Leeds in the first half letting Harrison get in front of him. Inexplicably and luckily for Urhoghide,  Harrison missed a sitter. He got caught out a couple of other times too. 

All understandable and did great at other times.

Palmers played hundreds of Championship games for a number of managers who presumably know a bit about the game.