Fox linked with Champ teams

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I think you could argue that there’s not much between Palmer and a Fox at LB. But if you play Palmer there it means Odubajo playing, and he is a real weakness.

If Iorfa plays CB then Palmer and Fox have to be our full-backs.

I think Fox is still improving too. And his early-struck outswinging crosses are gold-dust with any two from Fletcher, Rhodes and Nuhiu playing.

Fox's aerial ability when defending is a plus on Palmer at left back aswell. But agree Palmer and Fox have to be our full backs.

The back four we got at the moment is a good one. With Borner to come in as well when needed.

16 hours ago, Royal_D said:

For what it’s worth, I think we might struggle to keep Fox depending on who comes in for him , he’s had a rough time with the majority of fans and I don’t think he will forget that in a rush if he gets an offer that appeals to him 

Liam Palmer had a u-turn when he re-signed last time, wanted out for a while

Thing is I know Fox has improved but theres surely even better left backs available if he did leave. I'd have trusted Bruce with bringing someone in. Monk is an unknown at this point in regards to signings. 

I’d be really interested to hear the options that those advocating letting him go have in mind. 

Our defence looks solid as a rock and our left hand side attacking play with Fox, Harris and Bannan interchanging is some of the best football we play. 

It be a no brainier from me to keep a settled player, playing well and likely at a nominal fee by comparison. 

• Like 1

To keep Fox might require giving him a three year contract which is ok IF he continues to play like he has in the last handful of matches rather than his performances over the previous two and a half years. Bit risky that, but let's see how he goes over the next batch of matches. One plus for Fox, he's rarely out injured.

On 16/12/2019 at 11:27, Sultan_Pepper said:

Still our best defensive left back, has been for 3 years. People still don't appreciate how good his covering across the back is. He's a top 6 championship left back, always has been. And no I'm not just saying that now, I've been backing Fox and Palmer for years. Now that we've been playing with a proper focus on shape and players covering each other under Bruce and Monk we're seeing what full backs playing as full backs can do. They were always good enough, they just had FF or McGeady or some other half arsed winger in front of them who makes one run back and everyone thinks they provide good cover.

McGeady....

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, edited said:

People saying they’d turn down £1.5m :biggrin: 

I would.

He’s not ‘irreplaceable’ in footballing terms. As impressed as I’ve been with him this season, and I’ve never really thought his was THAT bad to begin with (just lacked confidence), there are obviously better left backs about. There’s potential that Penney could come back and do equally as good a job. 

However £1.5m is absolutely NOTHING in today’s football money. It’d be a laughable sum of money for a 26 year old left back who’s been playing well as a starter for a team in the play offs. A player with a shout at going to the euros in 2020.

I’d be wanting £3-4m at a minimum.

We criminally under value our own players.

It’d only be a sum of money I’d accept reluctantly if Fox was to turn down the contract we eventually offer. And if he did so, it would be the fans at fault for all the abuse he’s had over the years.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

I would.

He’s not ‘irreplaceable’ in footballing terms. As impressed as I’ve been with him this season, and I’ve never really thought his was THAT bad to begin with (just lacked confidence), there are obviously better left backs about. There’s potential that Penney could come back and do equally as good a job. 

However £1.5m is absolutely NOTHING in today’s football money. It’d be a laughable sum of money for a 26 year old left back who’s been playing well as a starter for a team in the play offs. A player with a shout at going to the euros in 2020.

I’d be wanting £3-4m at a minimum.

We criminally under value our own players.

It’d only be a sum of money I’d accept reluctantly if Fox was to turn down the contract we eventually offer. And if he did so, it would be the fans at fault for all the abuse he’s had over the years.

Bit of a daft comment to make.

I know that Fox has had more than his fair share of moans and groans over the last 3 years.  But he’s only just started to look like a consistently competent left-back in the last two and a half months or so.  And good on him for finally turning his form around.

If Fox walks away from SWFC at the end of the season, then it will be because the player perceives it to be the best option for his own career.  To suggest otherwise is conjecture.

For example, Nuhiu has had far worst abuse off our fans and he’s ended up signing contract extensions in the past.

7 hours ago, Lincowl said:

Left footers are already a niche premium, let alone ones who are good at football, let alone ones that play fullback. He's a valuable player.

He would be if he wasn't coming to the end of his contract.

On 16/12/2019 at 11:41, SiJ said:

Might be something in this. 

People were raving about that Cash lad at Forest prior to Saturday. 

He got absolutely rinsed by Harris time and time again. 

I sat in the forest end Saturday, as my best mate is a forest fan. He sits with us at Hillsborough and I sit with them at their ground. 

All I heard was "where the fk is Cash?"

"Cash has been non existent"

I have no idea who he is! But seems they expected a lot more from him.