Well done Monk

9 hours ago, s6 owl said:

As soon as the subs were made i expected us to surrender and throw away the points once again. 

Play negative and you'll get negative results it's as simple as that.

Absolutely this.

It's not that I don't rate Luongo but the second he came on for Fletch we might as well have placed a massive neon sign above Dawson's goal saying "Please batter us at will for the next 20 minutes".

It was a white flag substitution. 

• Like 1

I’ve nothing against who he brought on but it’s who he took off that’s the problem. 

Murphy for Rhodes allows us to put a pact player (Murphy or Harris) up top with fletch to try and scare them back a bit and worry about pace of counter attack. 

Luongo for Bannan is fine, Bannan when we control game is a master, when we’re under the cosh he’s like an air traffic controller. Pointing and screaming but no idea what purpose he’s actually serving. 

10 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

it’s never going to happen for Rhodes 

gutted thats the case but we’ve persevered 1 too many times 

First half the partnership of Rhodes and Fletcher up front looked more lively in attack than we've done so far. Rhodes, lacking match fitness, worked well then and the two read each other's moves and flicked on and moved on the other one's actions. Rhodes, probably due to fatigue, faded in 2nd half and understandably was subbed. Striker for striker so we kept up with it, it wasn't a poor substitution.

I'm guessing Harris must have signaled he was shot too seeing as we subbed him for Murphy, fresh pair of legs to swap over and threaten down their other side. Reach came over and offered overlap to Fox down the left as well.

It's the third substitution that was negative.. I'm guessing Fletcher must have been shot; it wasn't him that needed subbing, Odubajo was a risk and I don't know how many times others came to cover for him; even Fletcher was down at right back at one time, but for the most part, Iorfa played the part of RB + CD, and if that was the case, I'd have swapped out Odubajo for Börner and stuck Iorfa out on the RB spot with Lees and Börner able to hold the mid. Less free kicks and maybe could've avoided the penalty if Odubajo had gone much sooner, as someone replied to me yesterday, he was being targeted, all the time since Martin struck out at him early in first half, and Odubajo fell for it and it just got worse with more muscling and tugging and reckless tackles/obstructions. Penalty was never a penalty, but I'm guessing the ref saw it was Odubajo who once again went down with his man and awarded it cumulatively.

3 games in a week, 1-0 up, takes off Fletcher and Harris (with another tough game at forest coming up), brings on 3 attacking players to influence the game

Hardly Monk’s fault Nuhiu and Murphy didn’t apply themselves to any reasonable standard is it

He is dealing with the cards he has been dealt

Players like Fletcher and Harris can’t go flat out like they started the game for a full 90

Especially with 3 games in a week. that’s a fact, not a managerial issue

Blaming Monk is ridiculous 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vulva said:

People forget that Fletcher and Harris looked injured. Monk wouldn’t have taken either off otherwise. 

We are an average team in an awful league. The Championship is absolute tripe this season. Worst it’s been for a long time. Some random outfit is going to fluke promotion through the playoffs. Leeds and West Brom will finish 20 points clear, and even they are nothing special. The team Carlos put together that got us to Wembley would be up by March in this division. 

Although I agree that the Carlos team is better than this one let’s not kid ourselves that it was a team of world beaters. Scraped into the playoffs on the last day, effectively got a bye in the first leg of the semis but then went on and lost to hull. Season after lost out to Huddersfield who were one of if not the worst team to get promoted from the championship. 

The spine line of this team is still here, they weren’t good enough to take advantage then and they haven’t got any better.

9 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Although I agree that the Carlos team is better than this one let’s not kid ourselves that it was a team of world beaters. Scraped into the playoffs on the last day, effectively got a bye in the first leg of the semis but then went on and lost to hull. Season after lost out to Huddersfield who were one of if not the worst team to get promoted from the championship. 

The spine line of this team is still here, they weren’t good enough to take advantage then and they haven’t got any better.

Can you explain that in more detail?  

3 hours ago, BRUCE LEE said:

3 games in a week, 1-0 up, takes off Fletcher and Harris (with another tough game at forest coming up), brings on 3 attacking players to influence the game

Hardly Monk’s fault Nuhiu and Murphy didn’t apply themselves to any reasonable standard is it

He is dealing with the cards he has been dealt

Players like Fletcher and Harris can’t go flat out like they started the game for a full 90

Especially with 3 games in a week. that’s a fact, not a managerial issue

Blaming Monk is ridiculous 

Spot on, nothing left to be said.

Except - calm down everyone.

Its not the subs that's annoying me, you can understand why he took Fletcher off as he had the knock in the first half.

For me its the whole ethos of the team. We start well again pressuring them and pinning them back and eventually got the goal. Its was what happened after that annoyed me. Instead of carrying on and pressing for a 2nd the whole team just seem to change and settle for the 1-0. strikers dropped back, everyone started time wasting  with hardly any attempt to push on and finish the game off.

Derby in the first half were there for the taking, they offered nothing yet we settled for the 1-0. The whole thing just reminded me of the Huddersfield 1st leg of the playoffs, where we just settle for the draw in the hope we did them at home.

15 hours ago, vulva said:

People forget that Fletcher and Harris looked injured. Monk wouldn’t have taken either off otherwise. 

We are an average team in an awful league. The Championship is absolute tripe this season. Worst it’s been for a long time. Some random outfit is going to fluke promotion through the playoffs. Leeds and West Brom will finish 20 points clear, and even they are nothing special. The team Carlos put together that got us to Wembley would be up by March in this division. 

The team that S. G built and Carlos added a bit of creativity and firepower to, you mean lol

Fletcher felt his hamstring,how we all jump to conclusions in heat of moment.. I think we've been playing some great stuff under Monk, the dressing room is good & that's showing in the team spirit, we look very dangerous at times. He can only pick players on merit so if they then play crap given their chance it's hardly the managers fault.

Edited by S1Owl

It’s as if people forget there are two teams on the pitch.

It’s not always down to us what happens, the opposition changes things as well.

We came out second half against Brentford and looked a different team . We gave our players and manager credit for that.

Derby , who have a good home record, will have got a half time verbal lashing last night, the manager will have made some adjustments and yes we struggled to cope with it.

At no time did I think our manager had said sit back and play for a 1-0.

Guest Willow Owl
16 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Yep derby 9th bottom but looked worse so why settle at 1-0 with so long to play?

Why always nuhiu and lumping it?

Why take harris off?

Consistent late costly goals are his doing, he is not learning, bruce knows the value of pace, energy, countering, game management etc and would have had maybe 10 points more and comfortable top 6.

Looking mid/top half at best with monk, massive gulf in pedigree imo

He’s not had a transfer window yet to change things, we are around the play off places with the transfer window coming. Give the guy a chance ffs.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can you explain that in more detail?  

A Brighton team that had blown their chance of automatic promotion on the last day just a week beforehand. Also pretty sure they had dunk and Stevens missing for the first leg who were 2 of their most influential players. They also then had a number of injuries during the game with Knockaert being one of them and I think they played most of the second half with 10 men due to the injuries.

We couldn’t have wished for a better time to play them.

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

A Brighton team that had blown their chance of automatic promotion on the last day just a week beforehand. Also pretty sure they had dunk and Stevens missing for the first leg who were 2 of their most influential players. They also then had a number of injuries during the game with Knockaert being one of them and I think they played most of the second half with 10 men due to the injuries.

Pretty sure we played 46 games previous to get into the play offs. 

15 minutes ago, 83owl said:

So it was nothing like a bye, all clubs now use a squad system and sometimes clubs get injuries (SWFC last season).  Down to the manager  to utilise the squad in the best possible way. They didn't we did. 

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

He’s not had a transfer window yet to change things, we are around the play off places with the transfer window coming. Give the guy a chance ffs.

A transfer window won't necessarily change tactics and game management, even if we do sign someone.

Theres more to a manager than signing players, appreciate he's a young learning manager but the tactics/subs made before constant late shipping of goals can't just be bad luck and needs addressing whether we sign nobody or somebody imo (ffs).

Edited by Ash77

I'm always of the opinion , you don't try and mend what isn't broke.

If Fletch and Harris were carrying injuries fair enough...If not...See me first sentence.

It was Derby having trouble competing in the first half, why change owt?

I would honestly have settled for 1-1 pre match...Its just the way it bloody happens..and its avoidable, its bloody frustrating.

West brom..Swansea..Birmingham.now Derby..it all too often.

What a frustrating season this is turning out to be...

We dont even know if the points are worth owt!!!

Heads down...keep goin'

Really dont get the Monk bashing, saw the substitutions as saving our best players for Forest. Murphy is sheet but I imagine Monk brought him on so that he could prove himself & gain some much needed confidence against a pony Derby side, sadly he didn't & the ref gave the home side an undeserving draw.

14 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

Really dont get the Monk bashing, saw the substitutions as saving our best players for Forest. Murphy is sheet but I imagine Monk brought him on so that he could prove himself & gain some much needed confidence against a pony Derby side, sadly he didn't & the ref gave the home side an undeserving draw.

I see the "Saving for Forest" thingy...But 3 points were there at Derby....Take 'em..and worry about Forest when we play 'em