Well done Monk

Monk was high on my list to replace Bruce. One big reason was his ability to temper expectations.

Rightly, or wrongly, his tactics and post match suggest he’s happy to settle for mid table. Making everything above that a bonus.

Whether I agree with that stance or not it’s hard to see how he’s playing to get into the top 6 currently. Maybe if there’s some movement in January his aims will alter slightly.

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

Monk was high on my list to replace Bruce. One big reason was his ability to temper expectations.

Rightly, or wrongly, his tactics and post match suggest he’s happy to settle for mid table. Making everything above that a bonus.

Whether I agree with that stance or not it’s hard to see how he’s playing to get into the top 6 currently. Maybe if there’s some movement in January his aims will alter slightly.

Well he’s doing a damn good job at tempering expectations, that’s for sure.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Well he’s doing a damn good job at tempering expectations, that’s for sure.

Before tonight I thought he was going to have a real go at cementing us in the top 6 before Christmas.

I like him, but after tonight I genuinely think he’d snap your hands off for a mid table finish. 

We lack adventure and shut up shop so early, which is bizarre because it’s easily our weakest game plan. We look solider going at teams than we do sitting back to protect a lead. 

If the subs had come up to the mark Big Dave was pathetic in the roll he was brought on for 

No way a pen 

Rhodes was blowing 

He gambled taking Fletch if knowing we need him for Saturday 

Derby’s home record is very good 

reality check we ain’t going to win every game 

we are in touch with the top six and that’s all we could expect with Monk using other people’s players 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, vulva said:

People forget that Fletcher and Harris looked injured. Monk wouldn’t have taken either off otherwise. 

We are an average team in an awful league. The Championship is absolute tripe this season. Worst it’s been for a long time. Some random outfit is going to fluke promotion through the playoffs. Leeds and West Brom will finish 20 points clear, and even they are nothing special. The team Carlos put together that got us to Wembley would be up by March in this division. 

Could say the Championship has been bobbar for ages. Still never take advantage of situations and see out games. Masters of our own demise most to the time!

32 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Our season is OK overall - you can definitely see Monks style though now... it’s basically playing the percentages - which in the Championship works sometimes due to the lower quality 

That mentality towards tactics will get you enough points to avoid relegation.  But very few teams get promoted playing that style anymore.

It’s incredibly frustrating as I believe our squad is good enough to challenge this season.  If only Monk would release the shackles a bit, stop going ultra-negative whenever we’ve got a lead to hold onto, I think we’d have a better chance of success.

19 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Before tonight I thought he was going to have a real go at cementing us in the top 6 before Christmas.

I like him, but after tonight I genuinely think he’d snap your hands off for a mid table finish. 

We lack adventure and shut up shop so early, which is bizarre because it’s easily our weakest game plan. We look solider going at teams than we do sitting back to protect a lead. 

Listened to his post match comments and he seems to have missed that Derby were awful all game and were there for the taking. He seems bizarrely satisfied with a point from a game we should have really gone for. 

Murphy for Harris may be questionable, but it certainly isn’t a defensive substitution.

Nuhiu for Rhodes was inevitable and imo an attempt to get a second. Has Nuhiu not got a track record of scoring late goals for us? 

Fletch seemed to be down to injury. He definitely limped off, so I am not sure Monk had the complete say.

Despite all of that, Derby didn’t create a single clear cut chance. The pen was a joke decision, had that been given correctly we win the game. That would have been the end of an 8 match unbeaten run. Not everything can be blamed on the manager, I think he has done a good job and the players certainly think that.

One final point, haven’t we got the oldest team in the league? Could that be why we keep conceding late goals, instead of it always being the managers fault?

• Thanks 1

Both strikers were absolutely shattered and signalled to the bench to come off. They had both stopped being effective.

Rhodes short of games, Fletcher played too many.

No problem with the Nuhiu and Luongo changes. The odd one for me was taking Harris off after 60 mins. Seemed to me like it was a plan they had from the start to let him only play 60 mins 

4 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Think both Fletcher and Harris were for injury rather than tactical. Monk is working with what he has, unlikely to be able to do much in January. We're a point off the play offs, some people need to get a grip.

Coming from someone who said nuhiu was better than fletcher :tango:

16 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Both strikers were absolutely shattered and signalled to the bench to come off. They had both stopped being effective.

Rhodes short of games, Fletcher played too many.

No problem with the Nuhiu and Luongo changes. The odd one for me was taking Harris off after 60 mins. Seemed to me like it was a plan they had from the start to let him only play 60 mins 

Harris was replaced immediately after he'd broken from the lb position and stormed down the left wing to the edge of their box...Monk definitely playing a percentage game..