My take

Just now, toooldforthis said:

Yep, I get what you mean...but they looked comfortable on the ball and we didn't. We did gift them the point today...but I think we were 2nd best for large spells of the game. What do you think about Monk?

All opinions mate, prior to the game I was expecting them to dominate the possession, I just thought they kept the ball well by passing around their own area/half without really threatening, when we pressed early they panicked. I dont think Lee and Bannan partnership worked in middle of the park, we let Swansea have so much space and time in the midfield. But I wouldn't say they were anything special, just adds more frustration that we only got a point.

Personally I like Monk and I think overall with time and hopefully some backing he'll do well here. Football wise it ain't pretty but even with this direct play we are creating chances and looking a threat. It's just typical Wednesday that we fail to capitalise on opportunities, kill teams off and eventually have a moment of madness which costs us a win.

Guest The Horse

It's Morgan Fox I feel for this eve.

Got player of the month, scored what he thought was the winner, giving it the ears to the boo boys and celebrated like a demon had been slain.

Then they all go and royally wee wee on his chips.

Well, I say feel for him...

He'll have just got paid in a week what I almost make in a year so I'm sure he's not feeling too bad.

But you know what I mean.

He deserved to be the match winner today.

Never been as dumbfounded as after that flying start then they get a corner & score! Unbelievable Jeff.

We were treading water until FF came on. Credit to Monk. Then Reach replaced Murphy, who had been virtually anonymous, & things got even better. Again, Monk's decision. He also chucked Rhodes on for Harris, to go 3 upfront, for the win.

I was feeling depressed at the thought of going home & into the int. break after a 1-0 home loss. We got a hard earned draw, by never giving up.

Hopefully we'll be full strength again in 2 weeks

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Under normal circumstances and in any of the seasons since DC came in, we’d be no where near good enough. But this league is gash. Absolute gash. And that’s the frustrating bit. A tripe side will get promoted this year, and it could be someone like Preston or Brentford. 

Monk looked at Swansea’s side and went for power. Had we been able to finish early on, we’d have won that game 4 or 5. Early goal, play on the break with Murphy and Harris. That was the plan. It didn’t work. 

Missed Hutch massively, and Lee isn’t strong or fit enough anymore to play in a 2 with Bannan. 

That number 10 was playing in acres of space. 

We are playing for 6th spot. 

At best, monks selections are starting to be questioned more and rightly so. 

We are a very average mediocre team that every now and then will play some good football and might beat one of the tops up the league

Anyone setting their expectations on a top 6 finish is absolutely deluded and setting their stall out way too high

If we all settle for mid table obscurity and the team perform better than that ... happy days!

• Haha 1

I feel a bit sorry for Monk. He's inherited what he's inherited and he's made a decent fist of it so far all things considered. That said you're only one game away from being declared not being good enough to manage us due to the fragile mentality of our fan base that is the result of two barren decades away from the premier league.

As I've said thousands of times before the squad is an unbalanced mixture of experience, decent quality in some areas for this level, a general lack of pace and physicality (though Bruce in his short time here did his best to address this problem), some solid players but not good enough to take us to the next level plus a weak mental state due to the play-off disapointments and the last two seasons of management upheaval.

The full-backs aren't good enough, they're both triers but that's all they are. The decision to give Palmer a three year deal was ridiculous. I think for now Monk has to make do and mend with his midfield but long term this has to be addressed. I like Bannan but I do wonder if he has to be moved on in the long term because there tends to be a general focus on him when he plays therefore you stop Bannan, you generally stop us? Hutchinson's class but his availability will always be a problem. Pelupessy's not good enough, pure and simple. I don't think Reach is good enough to build a side around and Lee, will he ever be the same player as he was a couple of years ago? I think only being offered a one year deal probably tells you the answer to this?

Harris and Luongo have only just arrived at the club and have made solid starts and will be probably be part of the solution going forward but it's early days for them?

The forwards? A department that has seen little change in three years or more. Fletcher's top drawer but will never score a lot. Nuhiu is an acquired taste. He will work hard for the cause and have his moments but I think he goes into the type of trier and as a result will probably not take us to the next level? Rhodes and Winnall, they've both had spells away from the club on Loan which perhaps says it all. At the moment the best they can hope for is a place on the bench. I don't see either having a long term future here under Monk. The shining light may be Forrestieri but I suspect this will be his last season here? Once again it's make do and mend until Monk can address the issue.

In summary Monk's doing his best and we could perhaps still challenge for a Top 6 spot but in truth with this squad this really is the best we can hope for?

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, A12owl said:

We've got a box to box midfielder. Luongo says himself that's his best position.

The only trouble we have is that every player we sign gets a dose of the Wednesday curse and finishes up injured after they join us. Players who havnt missed a game for 25 years get injured after they sign for us. 

Not sure what the answer is. 

If as you say players in their 25th year, there's the problem. 

:duntmatter:

I don’t think Monk did anything wrong yesterday.

Team selection worked better than I expected, when I saw it.

Correct to leave Reach out and thought Murphy did ok.

Thought Palmer didn’t look fit so perhaps could have played Obubajo.

Bannan didn’t look 100% fit  but guess he had to risk him.

Could have left Nuhiu on but the changes were needed.

Don’t see them finishing top 2

Edited by oldishowl

It’s hard to assess Monk’s tenure so far. There have been some good signs that’s for sure, but as yet, he’s not yet established a clear way of playing. Does he see it as just a case of grinding out results, so we are not too far off the pace come January? If that’s the case, does he envisage making big changes come January? That’s unlikely to be sanctioned, and in my opinion anyway, is probably unnecessary upheaval. More reasonable, would be to bolster the squad with 2 or 3 young players, who could fit seamlessly into an established way of playing. We are a bit all over the place in that respect. Maybe this is because Monk believes he lacks the key elements to play the way he wants to play? Results for me, reflect the abilities of the squad, but the slight concern is, there is no clear pattern to what we are doing. As I said, perhaps it’s horses for courses, just to try and glean enough points to stay in touch. 

We are a decent enough Championship side who have a shot this season.

There is plenty of ability in this side, but I fear that mentally we are simply not strong enough.

You have to be ruthless at this level and we simply are not.

Missing easy chances and conceding sloppy goals has unfortunately become part of this team's identity over the last few years.

Those last few minutes summed us up. Show great character to deservedly get a winning goal - putting us back in the top 6 - to then completely lose the plot and throw it away. Happens time and time again.

I think we miss Luongo from the team. He does make us more competitive. This 2 weeks at least gives Monk and team time to rebuild and get at the busy period. The fact we are 7th still and we are talking about what ifs shows we still have a chance. Need to draw a line now and stop the self inflicted damage on ourselves.

16 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

They offered nothing and even the goal came because of a goalkeeper error. 

The Carlos season 1 side would walk this league. 

you mean stuart gray's defence would hold better, and we'd have to hope we didn't 'bottle' the big games when we got near the finishing line this time around.

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Very frustrating........ but fixable. There are many drills that can be worked on at the training ground over the international break to improve finishing, to control the ball under pressure and playing with composure and control. Basic coaching manual v1 and I’m confident we will see improvement if we all stay together behind Garry and the boys given it’s so obvious that this is where we need to improve most. 

one of 'the drills' could be the keepers judging a cross and then catching it, but I figured they'd have done that at school.

specsavers maybe.