My take

Under normal circumstances and in any of the seasons since DC came in, we’d be no where near good enough. But this league is gash. Absolute gash. And that’s the frustrating bit. A tripe side will get promoted this year, and it could be someone like Preston or Brentford. 

Monk looked at Swansea’s side and went for power. Had we been able to finish early on, we’d have won that game 4 or 5. Early goal, play on the break with Murphy and Harris. That was the plan. It didn’t work. 

Missed Hutch massively, and Lee isn’t strong or fit enough anymore to play in a 2 with Bannan. 

That number 10 was playing in acres of space. 

We are playing for 6th spot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Under normal circumstances and in any of the seasons since DC came in, we’d be no where near good enough. But this league is gash. Absolute gash. And that’s the frustrating bit. A tripe side will get promoted this year, and it could be someone like Preston or Brentford. 

Monk looked at Swansea’s side and went for power. Had we been able to finish early on, we’d have won that game 4 or 5. Early goal, play on the break with Murphy and Harris. That was the plan. It didn’t work. 

Missed Hutch massively, and Lee isn’t strong or fit enough anymore to play in a 2 with Bannan. 

What happened with the chutney ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Perhaps its bannan that's not strong enough to play with Lee. Lee was far better imo today

I actually thought we played better offensively without Hutch. Looked dangerous on the break and attacked well for the majority of the game. The downside is we looked very open at times. 

But on the other hand, that shouldn’t have been a problem. We should have gone in at half time at least 2-0 up. We are simply not clinical enough. And we now are in a rut of going into panic hysteria every time we take a lead. 

So to sum up, mid table. With a bit more composure at both ends of the pitch we’d be in a promotion battle. Very frustrating. 

• Haha 1

My take is that we are a mid table side, capable of any sort of result every week. Even seeing us go 2-1 up didn’t fill me with excitement because ultimately I know our credentials. 

If we sign a box box to box midfielder and striker then we’ve got a shot at the play offs, otherwise just give us 12th now 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vulva said:

I feared that we would get overrun in midfield today when I heard the team.
We did miss Hutchinson’s presence and Luongo’s running and eye for goal. On the whole though there was a more attacking look to the team with Lee making some good forward runs. He faded in the second half and gaps appeared in midfield allowing Swansea more control.
Don’t think it was Monk’s preferred midfield but with Hutchinson and Luongo both injured there were few other options.

Lee actually had his best game since his injuries and showed signs of getting some sharpness and running power back into his game. Just needs to show he can do it consistently for 90 minutes now.

All in all a thoroughly entertaining game that we should have won comfortably on the number of great chances created.

Long break now to concentrate on seeing game out and defending set pieces.

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I actually thought we played better offensively without Hutch. Looked dangerous on the break and attacked well for the majority of the game. The downside is we looked very open at times. 

But on the other hand, that shouldn’t have been a problem. We should have gone in at half time at least 2-0 up. We are simply not clinical enough. And we now are in a rut of going into panic hysteria every time we take a lead. 

So to sum up, mid table. With a bit more composure at both ends of the pitch we’d be in a promotion battle. Very frustrating. 

Very frustrating........ but fixable. There are many drills that can be worked on at the training ground over the international break to improve finishing, to control the ball under pressure and playing with composure and control. Basic coaching manual v1 and I’m confident we will see improvement if we all stay together behind Garry and the boys given it’s so obvious that this is where we need to improve most. 

Agree with vulva, this league is average, very average. Just look at PNE. 

Im seriously hoping we can limp through till January and pull a couple of rabbits out of hats. 

The squad for most part, looks old, tired and devoid of ideas. Just going through the motions. Weve now seemingly, created the old monkey on our back, of not being able to hold onto a lead. 

Its beyond frustrating. 

Edited by Maddogbob

We did ok today. We are not a very good side and they were better than us in most areas. But as others have said, this is a poor Championship this year and I doubt the table will look much different to how it looks now. anyone in the top 8 that wins four or five in a row will set the pace for the rest.

We're an old squad. We're not a very talented squad. For Rhodes, Reach and FF to come on and spark us into life shows us where we're at.

Our failings are 90% in the head.

The thing I noticed today was Monk. I like him as a bloke but I see no Monk effect on the team, they played the same under Bullen. In the post match he sounds like the teams counsellor. I don't like him sitting down when we go 0-1 down. I want him to come on the radio and be a bit more bullish about the pros and cons. He's a reasonable man and he's adapting himself to the team. Change comes through unreasonable men.

Several players are now too far past their best. Lees isn't a captain or a leader...we need a true leader for the last 15 minutes in games...we panicked today (again).

6/10 for the team today and it was a fair result.

3 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

We did ok today. We are not a very good side and they were better than us in most areas. But as others have said, this is a poor Championship this year and I doubt the table will look much different to how it looks now. anyone in the top 8 that wins four or five in a row will set the pace for the rest.

We're an old squad. We're not a very talented squad. For Rhodes, Reach and FF to come on and spark us into life shows us where we're at.

Our failings are 90% in the head.

The thing I noticed today was Monk. I like him as a bloke but I see no Monk effect on the team, they played the same under Bullen. In the post match he sounds like the teams counsellor. I don't like him sitting down when we go 0-1 down. I want him to come on the radio and be a bit more bullish about the pros and cons. He's a reasonable man and he's adapting himself to the team. Change comes through unreasonable men.

Several players are now too far past their best. Lees isn't a captain or a leader...we need a true leader for the last 15 minutes in games...we panicked today (again).

6/10 for the team today and it was a fair result.

Better than us? Sorry dont agree with that, even said to my mate today that I didn't rate Swansea at all,  it's ok all this possession game but they were keeping the ball in their own half without even troubling us. Routledge is still the same pansy he was years ago throwing himself to the ground whenever fresh air touched him. They stole a point today from our goalkeepers errors and our mental strength sunk.

59 minutes ago, vulva said:

Tend to agree with this, but our inability to see games out will ultimately cost us. Unless we get our mentality right quickly, we'll continue to chuck points away. Seven points tossed aside in the last few minutes of games in just the last five games. Show a bit of composure and resolve in those important moments, and we could be sat in 2nd place. 

Make no mistake, we are no better than any of the rest of the gash.

Today, we went direct, and ugly. And had we scored early on when we were dominant, the game probably would've taken a totally different route. 

However, we didn't score early on, we've gifted them a goal, and Swansea began to look like a very handy outfit. For the amount of chances our play created, Swansea created just as many decent moments, and looked a very good side at times. Their trio of Grimes, Byers and Celina looked a step above at times. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Better than us? Sorry dont agree with that, even said to my mate today that I didn't rate Swansea at all,  it's ok all this possession game but they were keeping the ball in their own half without even troubling us. Routledge is still the same pansy he was years ago throwing himself to the ground whenever fresh air touched him. They stole a point today from our goalkeepers errors and our mental strength sunk.

You're right for the reasons why they stole a point, but from a footballing point of view, they were superior today.

We put them under pressure during periods of the game, but only capitalised during one of those phases.

But for the most part, Swansea were a step above. 

Our performance today reminded me of a type of display you'd see from Millwall at the Den. Direct, quick through the thirds and basic. Nothing wrong with that, it's made Millwall a very tough team to play against, and it worked in the manner that it produced our most effective attacking display. But don't fool yourself into thinking Swansea weren't superior to us, especially in the midfield areas. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Show us your Chutney 

27 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Yep, I get what you mean...but they looked comfortable on the ball and we didn't. We did gift them the point today...but I think we were 2nd best for large spells of the game. What do you think about Monk?