Pathetic

10 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

You’re definitely right to call for perspective. However, wouldn’t you agree that at the moment if feels like we’re on a knife edge. We could improve from poor performances and good results I.e. Stoke into good performances and good results. 
However it feels just as likely we might go the other way, poor performances and poor results. I.e. Blackburn.

I don’t think we could’ve complained too much if we’d lost to Cardiff and Leeds which would put a different perspective on things. It’s time for performances to improve and become a bit more comfortable 

Agree with this.  On balance I’m a little worried about performance levels, very little to get excited about other than relatively determined defensive efforts.  On the face of it our league position is encouraging but I never take too much notice of that until new year.

Overall I just don’t think we have the players for promotion.  Very little attacking impetus from full backs (especially down the right) and no real creativity in midfield. Banana is a nice footballer but falls between 2 stools - has never been Premier League calibre and doesn’t have the energy / physicality to sustain a challenge in the Championship.  Hutchinson offers little going forward and is probably a better centre half than holding midfield player.  And these are two of our better players.

Up front Fletcher always puts in a shift but will not score enough and needs a partner (or better support from wide players in a 433).

It’s true that in this league you just never know, and a play-off spot might be achieved, but right now I can’t see much evidence beyond blind faith to support that view.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

True pal. But brings you back down to earth, we aren’t a promotion side if we can’t hold on in situations like that. 

It will have to be a chance to turn a negative into a positive 

After the pigs drew 3-3 at Villa they barely dropped a point.

We really need to bounce back. Would make a huge statement.

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I know it’s a silly superstition, but the moment commentator on iFollw says I’m just checking the table we’re 4th at moment you know it’s going to all go wrong. 

Agreed. We seem to be much better at chasing a play off slot than consolidating one, its been the case since chanairi came in 

18 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Agree with this.  On balance I’m a little worried about performance levels, very little to get excited about other than relatively determined defensive efforts.  On the face of it our league position is encouraging but I never take too much notice of that until new year.

Overall I just don’t think we have the players for promotion.  Very little attacking impetus from full backs (especially down the right) and no real creativity in midfield. Banana is a nice footballer but falls between 2 stools - has never been Premier League calibre and doesn’t have the energy / physicality to sustain a challenge in the Championship.  Hutchinson offers little going forward and is probably a better centre half than holding midfield player.  And these are two of our better players.

Up front Fletcher always puts in a shift but will not score enough and needs a partner (or better support from wide players in a 433).

It’s true that in this league you just never know, and a play-off spot might be achieved, but right now I can’t see much evidence beyond blind faith to support that view.

I think we're a very similar team to that of 2016/17. Same Keeper; resilience at the back; practically the same midfield (certainly no improvement, which we needed); Fletcher up front playing for scraps. Only improvement is Harris really and you could argue Wallace gave us options; which Harris doesn't. 

My point being, in an equally poor division this year, we certainly could end up in the top 6.

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

I’m coming round to the idea of a relegation battle and League 1. The apathy of mid table security is quite mundane. 

When you're 7th and a point off play offs, don't be ridiculous... imagine being in the situation of of Boro or Stoke supporters; until then, enjoy our fight for the play offs while it lasts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Blackburn better than us lol

Sure, hats why they'll be the side challenging the bottom 6 and we'll be the side thrusting the top 6 come May.

Defeats happen, deal with it. As a fan base, Owls don't seem to be able to take defeats very well. Some verge on suicidal. Reckon kf we got to Prem some might even go through!

Yea better than us ..... they just beat us 2-1!

Guest The Horse

Bigger picture is that realistically it will take until the season after next to get the FFP monkey off our backs properly and really shake the squad up.

That will take patience on our side.

On the flip side, while ever we fail to control a game, fans will feel on edge.

I've never felt that this season we've been convincing except against Barnsley.

I don't mind grinding results out whilst we're winning but the moment it goes wrong, it's hard to stomach.

Even though I know it's gonna take time and patience to get us where we need to be, it's hard for the crowd to get behind and create an atmosphere to fuel the players.

If we can start to win 1-0 but consistently keep the opposites far away from the final third until we find our more offensive side then fine. But we don't. It's last gasp stuff usually and we invite constant pressure on our penalty area and too many opportunities which was going to catch-up with us.

Patience, I know.

But.. FFS.

Terrible performance on a whole. Total lack of creativity and desire to play on the front foot. A midfield 3 of Lee, Hutch and Pelupessy won't win many games at this level. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s the hope that kills you. Deep down I know this side is mid table no matter who is in charge. But I thought after last weeks game we could maybe challenge with a bit of luck.

Today brings you right back down to earth. Garbage Wednesday.

This for me. We're never gonna be that WOW team. Its a right old slog just for us to be clinging to the play offs. 

Mid table vibes in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, vulva said:

Our season is next season. Clear the decks of the big earners who’s contracts are up, give Monk and his staff a full preseason and bring in younger, hungrier players. 

I genuinely hope so, I really do. Far too many players at this club part of the Carlos regime who should not be here. Sentiment has to go, it really does.

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Our season is next season. Clear the decks of the big earners who’s contracts are up, give Monk and his staff a full preseason and bring in younger, hungrier players. 

Who’s off in june? Personally think this is weakest championship in ages... whether we take advantage of that however....

40 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It will have to be a chance to turn a negative into a positive 

After the pigs drew 3-3 at Villa they barely dropped a point.

We really need to bounce back. Would make a huge statement.

They don’t have it in them for me. 

Three players away from challenging and we need to clear some players out whilst we are at it.

4 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Who’s off in june? Personally think this is weakest championship in ages... whether we take advantage of that however....

Think I heard the commentary today mention that 5 of the starting 11 are out of contract this summer. Off the top of my head presume that Joey, Fletcher and 3 others???

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

This for me. We're never gonna be that WOW team. Its a right old slog just for us to be clinging to the play offs. 

Mid table vibes in my opinion. 

Full backs aren’t good enough. Midfield isn’t strong enough. And strikers aren’t clinical enough. 

We address these four positions we might have a chance. Like Bruce said, we’ll need 3 transfer windows to sort us out.