Pathetic

Guest LondonOwl313

This is what happens when you try and win every game 1-0. It’s obvious that we don’t create enough clear cut chances and we don’t take enough of them when we do

Evenually it ends up costing you points. Should have beaten Cardiff. Should have beaten Leeds. Should have made something of the 10 corners in the first half today but we didn’t, then we implode at the end.

We’ve won 3 games this season (Stoke, Luton, Wigan) all 1-0 too where we didn’t dominate.

Need to step it up if we’re going to go up. This squad isn’t as good as the play off teams. Pudil was better than the recently improved Fox. Hunt was better than Palmer. Lee isn’t as good as he was, Westwood isn’t quite as good. Wallace had less pace but more end product than Harris or Murphy. Hooper and Joao are gone.. FF can’t get in the side and he would have literally forced his way in back then. The only players you could argue are comparable to then and haven’t declined are Bannan, Hutchinson and Fletcher, and you could argue the new CBs are better than Loovens and Lees

The division is poor but we haven’t improved. I still think we’ll finish somewhere between 5-8th this season but we’re far from convincing. If we did fluke our way up we’d need 20 new players. Also need some goals from somewhere to even achieve that.. about time FF played

Disappointing, very disappointing. Could've been an impressive away performance if we'd rode out those last minutes and get all 3 pts, but that's life... or "The Wednesday Way" as many will have it. Not consistent enough; somewhat due to injuries but also many players on the pitch not managing to keep their cool and play sensibly/tactically.

But looking at the table, I notice something, we're still 7th, 4 pts off autos and a point off play offs. But more importantly, look at the form of those above and below... there's no straight greens, just another testament to this league being chaos. Nobody is cruising through here like Liverpool and Man City are in Prem League, but you just got to expect tough matches all the time and you'll get your share of freak losses and lost points.

Yea, we're the team with 5 losses there, and fewest draws, so there's something to take away in terms of becoming even more solid at the back and not throwing away leads like we've done today and v Cardiff. But looking at the form, it doesn't quite seem "The Wednesday Way" only applies to us.

image.thumb.png.f9c65c99f86535c47abb13d125ba6037.png

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Preston, Leeds, Fulham, QPR, Blackburn

zero wins.

Keep drinking the kool aid

2 draws against decent sides, a defeat at a place we never seem to win at, and 2 typical championship matches where we didnt turn up and lost?

Dont see your point there, mate.

2 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

We were  7 minutes away from a 'Good teams grind out a win, even when playing poorly' post from someone.

This is true - and in some respect they would have a point. However, the problem with our players, set up and tactics is most games will be attritional, tight and fairly poor quality. People will just need to accept this and hope we gather enough points to stay in touch.

We are a fairly well drilled team, with individuals who have mixed ability. They do have serval years of championship experience, but are one dimensional, which is probably down to successive manager's reaction to what they inherited. CC's 2nd season was the moment we fecd up IMO - we had the chance and cash to get 4/5 really good players into the existing squad who would have pushed us on but we failed. The two performances against Huddersfield are still being churned out regular 2 an half years on

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

This is what happens when you try and win every game 1-0. It’s obvious that we don’t create enough clear cut chances and we don’t take enough of them when we do

Evenually it ends up costing you points. Should have beaten Cardiff. Should have beaten Leeds. Should have made something of the 10 corners in the first half today but we didn’t, then we implode at the end.

We’ve won 3 games this season (Stoke, Luton, Wigan) all 1-0 too where we didn’t dominate.

Need to step it up if we’re going to go up. This squad isn’t as good as the play off teams. Pudil was better than the recently improved Fox. Hunt was better than Palmer. Lee isn’t as good as he was, Westwood isn’t quite as good. Wallace had less pace but more end product than Harris or Murphy. Hooper and Joao are gone.. FF can’t get in the side and he would have literally forced his way in back then. The only players you could argue are comparable to then and haven’t declined are Bannan, Hutchinson and Fletcher, and you could argue the new CBs are better than Loovens and Lees

The division is poor but we haven’t improved. I still think we’ll finish somewhere between 5-8th this season but we’re far from convincing. If we did fluke our way up we’d need 20 new players. Also need some goals from somewhere to even achieve that.. about time FF played

That one sentence for me is the most frustrating thing about this season.

There are teams that will end up in the top 6 in May that wouldn’t have been good enough in previous years.

Very ordinary league, which we’re not taking advantage of.

2 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Disappointing, very disappointing. Could've been an impressive away performance if we'd rode out those last minutes and get all 3 pts, but that's life... or "The Wednesday Way" as many will have it. Not consistent enough; somewhat due to injuries but also many players on the pitch not managing to keep their cool and play sensibly/tactically.

But looking at the table, I notice something, we're still 7th, 4 pts off autos and a point off play offs. But more importantly, look at the form of those above and below... there's no straight greens, just another testament to this league being chaos. Nobody is cruising through here like Liverpool and Man City are in Prem League, but you just got to expect tough matches all the time and you'll get your share of freak losses and lost points.

Yea, we're the team with 5 losses there, and fewest draws, so there's something to take away in terms of becoming even more solid at the back and not throwing away leads like we've done today and v Cardiff. But looking at the form, it doesn't quite seem "The Wednesday Way" only applies to us.

image.thumb.png.f9c65c99f86535c47abb13d125ba6037.png

It's a very open league this season. In fact, over the last 6 games, the two form sides were Brentford and Huddersfield, who actually played each other today - and neither of them were even in the top half of the division.

18 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Nobody's said we have a divine right to win matches and if you think only Wednesday fans respond badly to a defeat then you're sadly mistaken. We've been out of the top flight for 20 years, I think we've earned the right to be a little cynical about our chances of returning there 

Nobody really cared aviht losing til we got to the playoffs the other season.

Like I say, that season gave some of our fans the thoughts that we could just turn up and win every game cos we're massive Wednesday. Not gonna happen, defeats like today happen. We'll still be around top 6 at seasons end, and hopefully in it 

“Lads lads lads and everybody”as the ad on telly goes, 

the sooner we are all able to be realistic and manage our expectations then the sooner we won’t all go into a meltdown when we lose.

I yelled “f•ck” at the tele in front of my wife when their second goal went in but that was out of disappointment rather than surprise .

The two words that a lot of Owlstalkers turned to at the end of the match were mid table and that about sums us up. 

There are several teams better than us and not so many that are worse ( bit of a glum appraisal but that’s my opinion) and when we put these sneaky little runs together where we ride our luck and win by one goal thereby finding ourselves within striking distance of the top three then I’m as delighted as the rest of you , but I know that without a little more creativity and someone who has the habitual knack of scoring we are always going to be fairly bog standard.

I still really believe in The Monkmiester and I’m hoping for a flippin good transfer window.

Still in a decent position in the table but we seem to be overly defensive at the moment , and I have to admit the alarm bells were ringing for me yesterday when he was gushing about Pelupessy,s performance last week.

It may have been just his way of boosting his confidence but if he REALLY thinks JP played well against Leeds then that IS a worrying sign.

42 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

4 pts off the top, we go again. Need to stay within 6 up to the transfer window ideally. Anyone can beat anyone in this league look at Fulham today.

I don’t think it’s the defeat that has p*ssed everyone off. It’s the manner of the defeat

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Like I say, that season gave some of our fans the thoughts that we could just turn up and win every game cos we're massive Wednesday. Not gonna happen, defeats like today happen. We'll still be around top 6 at seasons end, and hopefully in it 

Pre Chansiri though we had poor players. All we could hope for every year was to be solid, grind out results and finish mid table. Never looked like threatening the play offs once in 11 seasons at this level between 2000-2015. That means there’s no point getting bothered about it either way. 

Since then, we bought new players and are a better side.. but it makes it more frustrating because we still don’t make it look like we’ll get promoted when we could do it if we were just a bit better. We’re also paying rip off prices for the privilege so that raises people’s sense of entitlement. Then you look across the city and it makes you even more angry

58 minutes ago, erowl said:

We were very poor for 3/4 of that game ... Ans as for Pelupessy's corners .. WOW!

Certainly didn't deserve to win it and probably a fair result in the end

Wtf Pessy took the corners over Reach? Surely Harris a much better option too.

Guest LittleG
8 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I think you're way out of touch with the majority of Wed fans. We all know the "massive" thing is just tongue in cheek and I don't know one fan who thinks we only have to turn up to win. I think you need to get out and about amongst the true fans. As for the top 6, unless we improve our goal scoring I think we will be some way off.