3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Leicester...crowds doubled

Norwich crowds up 10'000

Southampton..crowds doubled

Newcastle United up 16'000

West Ham crowds doubled

Spurs plus 20'000

These are all since 2000 when we dipped

Others from the time that paper was printed are even more remarkable...

What earthly reason is there that Wednesday would not put a meagre 5k on the gate?

Save your breath ,its like talking to a brick wall 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Football is a totally different beast today. At least in 1985 those people who went were real  football fans. I get the impression now that a lot are treating it as a "tourist" day out. How else do you explain West Ham (a similar sized club to us) getting over 50,000 crowds ?  They used to get similar crowds to us, they haven't won anything (I don't think) since 1980 and are never likely to (like us). 

I'm not going to go over it again but our crowds are remarkable over the last 20 years and we would easily sell out in the PL even if the ground held 40,000. Our fans are at least as passionate as West Ham and leicester.

Good post. The tourist effect.of premier league football in London is very significant.

Before Chelsea and West Ham got lucky with the Russian and the Olympic stadium respectively, we legitimately competed with them. In terms of size..

13 hours ago, Bulldog said:

No we wouldn't. I agree that we would sell out against Man Ure/ Liverpool etc but theres no way we are going to sell out against Bournemouth, Watford etc. 

Without checking I believe our "sell out" is 31.5k so we can't possibly average 30k over a full season.

Your forgetting that as soon as you get to the Premier league. The SAG and SYP remove all restrictions on attendance and road closures. I know this as it is the only possible reason that the blades can have numerous incidents around their away end and business as usual.

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

Good post. The tourist effect.of premier league football in London is very significant.

Before Chelsea and West Ham got lucky with the Russian and the Olympic stadium respectively, we legitimately competed with them. In terms of size..

Yes spot on, London clubs are swamped with tourists wanting to watch a PL game, think a fair number are not concerned which club just want to go to PL match. Think the stadium is a draw ie the Olympic stadium and Spurs new ground. Sheffield just isn't enough of a draw, not really a tourist destination. Council will disagree but the types who do visit are here for the peak district etc and not the bright lights of the city so are less likely to go to football.

14 hours ago, Bulldog said:

No we wouldn't. I agree that we would sell out against Man Ure/ Liverpool etc but theres no way we are going to sell out against Bournemouth, Watford etc. 

Without checking I believe our "sell out" is 31.5k so we can't possibly average 30k over a full season.

I think we would, for one whatever needs to be done at west end of stadium would be done, and more importantly we should be able to afford to reduce ticket prices, especially for games against smaller clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth and Watford. 

There's always a chance these 3 clubs could get relegated and replaced with much bigger clubs Leeds and West Brom along with us.

I think it's safe to say that should we get promotion this season, there will be some important decisions to be made around Hillsborough as a PL venue.

I would fully expect DC to maximise exposure against the top 6/8 clubs where we should be expecting circa 35k with 3-5k away fans - if nothing else, for his own vanity and prestige in his homeland

Currently, Hillsborough is so riddled with poor media coverage, poor facilities and ridicules crowd and capacity restrictions, we will end up having a capped capacity of circa 31k. There will be around 7k seats not used, with sell out boards up on Penistone Rd weeks in advance, which isn't sustainable for revenue and PR purposes. Imagine MoTD covering the home match again Man U trying to explain the empty seats - how long before 89 is churned out.

I hope that having come so close in 2016 & 2017, DC will have got a plan ready to implement. For me we've got to spend a massive amount of money at Hillsborough - £10s of millions or just move to a new stadium. It won't happen overnight but I'd like to think a quick announcement would be made to take the initiative to manage the above.

On 30/10/2019 at 08:43, torryowl said:

I think we have a loyal hardcore of support that sticks with us thru thick or thin and a decent amount of floating fans that can soon lose a bit of interest when things go on the wane  ... 1 season in the last 55 years of an average over 30k says our support isn't huge .

when I was a kid (late 60's) I lived some 16 miles from sheffield, 10 from Donny, and about 6 from jokewell. the biggest supported side in the area was wednesday, with (of course) manu running second.

years later (perhaps) mid 80's to 90 I was at my sisters some 8 miles further away (and in west yorkshire) and saw a team of lads with blue and white scarves on (we were in what I took to be l**ds territory) so took 'em for featherstone rovers fans (blue and white), my nephew pointed out they were indeed wednesday fans, close to 25 miles from s6.

over time with our lack of success wednesday have become less of a draw to people outside the more local catchment area.

that along with our support is aging (and dying off) and high gate prices, whilst the place in the premier needed to attract more attention and the younger support has gone to the far side of the city.

51 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think it's safe to say that should we get promotion this season, there will be some important decisions to be made around Hillsborough as a PL venue.

I would fully expect DC to maximise exposure against the top 6/8 clubs where we should be expecting circa 35k with 3-5k away fans - if nothing else, for his own vanity and prestige in his homeland

Currently, Hillsborough is so riddled with poor media coverage, poor facilities and ridicules crowd and capacity restrictions, we will end up having a capped capacity of circa 31k. There will be around 7k seats not used, with sell out boards up on Penistone Rd weeks in advance, which isn't sustainable for revenue and PR purposes. Imagine MoTD covering the home match again Man U trying to explain the empty seats - how long before 89 is churned out.

I hope that having come so close in 2016 & 2017, DC will have got a plan ready to implement. For me we've got to spend a massive amount of money at Hillsborough - £10s of millions or just move to a new stadium. It won't happen overnight but I'd like to think a quick announcement would be made to take the initiative to manage the above.

Don't know how true it was, but I am sure I read on here that our ground isn't up to the required standard for the Premier League as it is, something to do with Disabled access and Corporate facilities?

17 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Yet only a few seasons ago we averaged 27,000 in the Championship..... You honestly dont think we would average just 3,000 more than that in the Premier League?

The stadium issues will be resolved by then anyway.

2 hours ago, Miffed said:

Yet only a few seasons ago we averaged 27,000 in the Championship..... You honestly dont think we would average just 3,000 more than that in the Premier League?

What makes you think the stadium issues will be resolved any time soon?...  

3 hours ago, Miffed said:

IF (more likely "When") the stadium issues are resolved then yes, it's a possibility. Until then I stick by my opinion.

The season after the aforementioned crowd of 27K, we achieved around 25 500 followed by last season's 24 500. The present average is just over 24K after 2 Yorkshire Derbies......I see a pattern developing!

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

I think we would, for one whatever needs to be done at west end of stadium would be done, and more importantly we should be able to afford to reduce ticket prices, especially for games against smaller clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth and Watford. 

There's always a chance these 3 clubs could get relegated and replaced with much bigger clubs Leeds and West Brom along with us.

You base that on a lot of supposition

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

IF (more likely "When") the stadium issues are resolved then yes, it's a possibility. Until then I stick by my opinion.

The season after the aforementioned crowd of 27K, we achieved around 25 500 followed by last season's 24 500. The present average is just over 24K after 2 Yorkshire Derbies......I see a pattern developing!

Stay in top 6 all season and we'll be close to matching that 27k. 

All the statistics are easily found, its beyond an argument, but because "Its Wednesday"..we are going to buck the trend and be probably the "only" club who goes up a division and the crowds don't go up...Its beyond ludicrous..Sure if we stay down here until football goes t *ts again..It could happen...but it would happen to almost every club.

6 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Don't know how true it was, but I am sure I read on here that our ground isn't up to the required standard for the Premier League as it is, something to do with Disabled access and Corporate facilities?

Easy to change that; corporate is good enough. Easy enough to make some more space for disabled fans got loads of space on the lepp.

Thing they need to upgrade would be the Press and TV areas. Been in quite a few press areas at PL clubs and dedicated rooms and banks of seats for all the press with monitors, internet access and live commentary. Not unusual at a PL game to have 20 _ 40 press guys including overseas hacks.