Big club? Crowds now crowds then

9 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Growing up in my day you always had the impression that we were a big club because we could match or even exceed the kind of crowds that most of the successful teams attracted. Man U and Liverpool were maybe 88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.thumb.jpeg.fbb6d5663a9d6dcbf951862dd994919f.jpegout on their own but Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc were nothing special as the picture attached attests. Things have changed massively now with clubs like West Ham attracting 50k/week but it wasn’t always like that in an era when a fine club like Ipswich were attracting 11k. Makes me wonder what kind of crowds we’d get if we had a successful period now and got our pricing sorted out! 

My granny's got more chance of having a successful period..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

We would sell out Hillsborough easily in the premiership. Football has boomed since the 80s

Yes, get to the premier league & you're in a different dimension. I don't go now for a number of reasons but cost is a massive factor, however if we got to the premier league I would be getting myself & my child a season ticket, as I know it could be a once in 20 years opportunity! There are thousands like me. Plus the premier league is also a big draw for local neutrals looking to go & see a game at that level. Our attendances would receive a boost from this. Hillsborough for a premier league game would also be a much bigger draw for a neutral than the sty if the pigs are still up. 

Edited by Colinwestzicoest

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

some smaller clubs gates have doubled since the days we were in the prem...theres no reason ours should'nt rise in comparison....

Ive listed these before....

Wednesday are not an anomoly

No we wouldn't. I agree that we would sell out against Man Ure/ Liverpool etc but theres no way we are going to sell out against Bournemouth, Watford etc. 

Without checking I believe our "sell out" is 31.5k so we can't possibly average 30k over a full season.

9 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Yes, get to the premier league & you're in a different dimension. I don't go now for a number of reasons but cost is a massive factor, however if we got to the premier league I would be getting myself & my child a season ticket, as I know it could be a once in 20 years opportunity! There are thousands like me. Plus the premier league is also a big draw for local neutrals looking to go & see a game at that level. Our attendances would receive a boost from this. Hillsborough for a premier league game would also be a much bigger draw for a neutral than the sty if the pigs are still up. 

Why would Hillsborough be a bigger draw for a neutral?

Obviously it would be me as a Wednesdayite  (non league football at Hillsborough would be a bigger draw than Champions League at BL) but what makes you think Hillsborough would be a bigger draw for a neutral?

Genuine question I think they would be cheaper priced and more centrally based, if anything I'd think that gives them the slight edge to neutrals. 

Although I do think our crowds would exceed theirs as we still have the larger fanbase.

10 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Growing up in my day you always had the impression that we were a big club because we could match or even exceed the kind of crowds that most of the successful teams attracted. Man U and Liverpool were maybe 88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.thumb.jpeg.fbb6d5663a9d6dcbf951862dd994919f.jpegout on their own but Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc were nothing special as the picture attached attests. Things have changed massively now with clubs like West Ham attracting 50k/week but it wasn’t always like that in an era when a fine club like Ipswich were attracting 11k. Makes me wonder what kind of crowds we’d get if we had a successful period now and got our pricing sorted out! 

wow those crowds have shocked me.chelsea getting 15000 in august villa 10000 arsenal 18000 . this cant be right ive been to highbury in 1985 to watch arsenal vs us and remember there large kop standing area been pretty full don't know what the crowd was but id have guessed 30-40000 . also seen all those goal scorers live tony woodcock david speedie frank mcavennie frank stapleton mark stein or was it brian stein for luton. were those clubs having 3 areas of there ground shut for trouble? aston villa never in a million years had 10000 in top flight I was also there in 1985 think we lost 3-0 and it was a huge crowd . has tipex been used? 

9 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Why would Hillsborough be a bigger draw for a neutral?

Obviously it would be me as a Wednesdayite  (non league football at Hillsborough would be a bigger draw than Champions League at BL) but what makes you think Hillsborough would be a bigger draw for a neutral?

Genuine question I think they would be cheaper priced and more centrally based, if anything I'd think that gives them the slight edge to neutrals. 

Although I do think our crowds would exceed theirs as we still have the larger fanbase.

As you say we have the bigger fanbase, so larger crowds plus the capacity to take more neutrals. Hillsborough is still a superior stadium to the sty, Hillsborough has more history, Hillsborough will attract larger away followings, all this will add up to a better atmosphere and matchday experience for a neutral. 

8 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

No we wouldn't. I agree that we would sell out against Man Ure/ Liverpool etc but theres no way we are going to sell out against Bournemouth, Watford etc. 

Without checking I believe our "sell out" is 31.5k so we can't possibly average 30k over a full season.

Season tickets would be up massively, I'd guess at least 25k S/tickets 

I also assume that "matchday tickets" for the "bigger games" would be on a points basis, meaning to get these people would have to attend the "lesser games"

25k S/t holders and an average of 3k (maybe more) away fans that's 28k straight away, without the other people who would be clamouring for tickets to see the big clubs in the PL, (especially after 20 years away) even if due to restrictions (which may well be lifted by then) the ground only held 31.5k we would average over 30k.

Though the figures of upto 42k some are mentioning are very unrealistic especially considering even without restrictions the capacity is less than that.

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Just over 10,000 at Villa!!
Football now is a lot more fashionable than in the mid 80s, think clubs in London have benefited the most from this.
Not sure why our attendances have always seem to average about 25,000 but clubs like Newcastle now get twice as many as they did in the mid 80's.

got to be rubbish m8 I was there that season think it was april 1985 ,the ground was packed and the capacity was nearer 45000 plus as holte end was standing and nearly as big as our kop . were all the supporters outside doing a protest? against deadly doug ellis? or was it some tax fiddle making out there was 10000 cause there is no way they had 10000 for a league fixture in august . at our game there were between 30-40000 ive got programs from all them seasons I will have to check them to see what attendances were at the away grounds. how can oxford have around same crowd as villa? 

Anyone who believes we wouldn’t average 30,000 in the premier league ( sag permitting) is living in cloud cuckoo land . The list of clubs who have done so since we got relegated is long and would be longer had clubs like stoke had bigger stadiums. Apart from a few most of those clubs will never have been among the top six supported clubs in the land for a number of seasons. We are no different to other clubs if we go up we will see a huge surge in attendance the trick will be to maintain and gradually grow to the point we have to redevelop or move has others from a lower starting point have on the back of little or no real success merely being in the premier league 

3 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Season tickets would be up massively, I'd guess at least 25k S/tickets 

I also assume that "matchday tickets" for the "bigger games" would be on a points basis, meaning to get these people would have to attend the "lesser games"

25k S/t holders and an average of 3k (maybe more) away fans that's 28k straight away, without the other people who would be clamouring for tickets to see the big clubs in the PL, (especially after 20 years away) even if due to restrictions (which may well be lifted by then) the ground only held 31.5k we would average over 30k.

Though the figures of upto 42k some are mentioning are very unrealistic especially considering even without restrictions the capacity is less than that.

I alluded to the full house of 31.5k in a previous reply. For us to average 30k it means 27k (ish) home fans is the absolute maximum we can account for and attending every single home game....it won't happen.

I do remember that in mid eighties just before Wilkinson went to leeds . that the worlds biggest club/ euro champions only had 8000 on a Saturday league game ,there the most fickle support going they only had 16-17000 even 2-3 years ago for some league games.   some reasons also for lower attendances then would be the huge amount of violence at games ,which put families off going 

2 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

As you say we have the bigger fanbase, so larger crowds plus the capacity to take more neutrals. Hillsborough is still a superior stadium to the sty, Hillsborough has more history, Hillsborough will attract larger away followings, all this will add up to a better atmosphere and matchday experience for a neutral. 

Tbh it's all about opinions,  I don't think neutrals would be drawn to Hillsborough over BL or vice versa, but I do believe if priced correctly and with where he's from Chansiri, could draw in a large portion of the "Oriental market". 

Not sure if this would be a good thing, I might be old fashioned but I prefer a traditional "Sheffield/Yorkshire" crowd, getting passionately behind their team. (No offence meant to the many "non Yorkshire" Owls fans out there)

6 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I alluded to the full house of 31.5k in a previous reply. For us to average 30k it means 27k (ish) home fans is the absolute maximum we can account for and attending every single home game....it won't happen.

It would. Do you know how many season tickets SUFC have this season? 

Do you think their support is bigger than ours?

Edited by OWL1969

TBH the reason that set of fixtures and crowds caught my eye is because I was starting to wonder if I’d imagined taking the pee out of Forest fans at College when they were European champs and fans of other clubs in Div 1 for having worse crowds than us who spent first part of the 80s in Div2. 

Whatever the situation now, that loyal hardcore of support meant we at least appeared to be in the second or third tier of clubs in terms of fan base for the formative years of my supporting the Owls.