Big club? Crowds now crowds then

Growing up in my day you always had the impression that we were a big club because we could match or even exceed the kind of crowds that most of the successful teams attracted. Man U and Liverpool were maybe 88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.thumb.jpeg.fbb6d5663a9d6dcbf951862dd994919f.jpegout on their own but Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc were nothing special as the picture attached attests. Things have changed massively now with clubs like West Ham attracting 50k/week but it wasn’t always like that in an era when a fine club like Ipswich were attracting 11k. Makes me wonder what kind of crowds we’d get if we had a successful period now and got our pricing sorted out! 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Growing up in my day you always had the impression that we were a big club because we could match or even exceed the kind of crowds that most of the successful teams attracted. Man U and Liverpool were maybe 88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.thumb.jpeg.fbb6d5663a9d6dcbf951862dd994919f.jpegout on their own but Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc were nothing special as the picture attached attests. Things have changed massively now with clubs like West Ham attracting 50k/week but it wasn’t always like that in an era when a fine club like Ipswich were attracting 11k. Makes me wonder what kind of crowds we’d get if we had a successful period now and got our pricing sorted out! 

Yes but we didnt get 30 k when we were in the prem , people will always make an excuse not to go 

Those figures sort of blow that out of the water 

We now accept the likes of Norwich and Southampton, Leicester have a bigger fan base 

• Haha 3

I think we have a loyal hardcore of support that sticks with us thru thick or thin and a decent amount of floating fans that can soon lose a bit of interest when things go on the wane  ... 1 season in the last 55 years of an average over 30k says our support isn't huge .

Those crowds, results and table are the exception that disproves the rule.

We have always had a hardcore support of around 18/20k which would inflate or decrease by about 4k depending on how we were doing. The thing that muddies the water is that we have a huge away end so when we played Man United or other big clubs we would get 5k visitors and probably 5k fair weather Wednesday supporters who would then as now whinge about the POG prices.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

I think we have a loyal hardcore of support that sticks with us thru thick or thin and a decent amount of floating fans that can soon lose a bit of interest when things go on the wane  ... 1 season in the last 55 years of an average over 30k says our support isn't huge .

1992ish it said we were 4th best supported !

it's certainly not a static list in terms of size of club or size of support.

We have dropped down that list and the only way to move up it is to be in the top division 

We will always be a big club relative to our peers it is just sadly our peers are currently,huddersfield, west Brom and Leeds.where it used to be the likes of  west ham , villa and everton

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Just over 10,000 at Villa!!
Football now is a lot more fashionable than in the mid 80s, think clubs in London have benefited the most from this.
Not sure why our attendances have always seem to average about 25,000 but clubs like Newcastle now get twice as many as they did in the mid 80's.

Because we have been pony for 20 odd years except for a couple of blips 

If it was the same climate as back then we would be looking at 15-16 k 

I think a lot of our fans think that football has gained popularity at every club except ours !

The stat regarding not averaging 30,000 is misleading, considering we’ve been out of the top flight for 20 years and crowds then were much lower. In 1991/92 we averaged over 29,000, which was the 4th highest in the league and higher than league champions Leeds. The following season we had the 6th highest average. If we were ever able to utilise our full capacity again (which seems unlikely) we would average well over 30,000 in this day and age. Even United have managed that already, and should do again (despite not selling out once yet).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

The stat regarding not averaging 30,000 is misleading, considering we’ve been out of the top flight for 20 years and crowds then were much lower. In 1991/92 we averaged over 29,000, which was the 4th highest in the league and higher than league champions Leeds. The following season we had the 6th highest average. If we were ever able to utilise our full capacity again (which seems unlikely) we would average well over 30,000 in this day and age. Even United have managed that already, and should do again (despite not selling out once yet).

Off topic but Castleford Owl? I work in Cas so nice to know there’s Owls around here! lol

Edited by ohgoditsjames

Just now, ohgoditsjames said:

Off topic but Castleford Owl? I work in Cas so nice to know there’s owls around here!

Yep, lived here for 13 years. I know of around 4 or 5 people who I see at Cas Tigers games who follow Wednesday. Usually notice quite a few coming back this way after Tuesday night games too.

We have a core support somewhere in the region of 20,000 to 25,000 and then those who attend games on a semi-regular basis and the people who only bother going when we are good/it is a big game. 

It is a lot better than most clubs. 

29 minutes ago, the monk said:

Yes but we didnt get 30 k when we were in the prem , people will always make an excuse not to go 

We now accept the likes of Norwich and Southampton, Leicester have a bigger fan base 

We would average more than 30,000 if we were in Premier league now, would these 3 clubs average over 20,000 spending 20 years outside top flight football?

I doubt it very much.

4 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Yep, lived here for 13 years. I know of around 4 or 5 people who I see at Cas Tigers games who follow Wednesday. Usually notice quite a few coming back this way after Tuesday night games too.

That’s good to know! I work at Northern Powergrid on Aketon road so you might see me wandering around the station in the mornings or evenings with my Wednesday scarf on as I live around Leeds now!

32 minutes ago, the monk said:

The Premier league is a completely different animal now.

We'd average over 30k easily if we got there.

SAG permitting.

33 minutes ago, the monk said:

1992ish it said we were 4th best supported !

Exactly we were doing well but as soon as we began to tail off the numbers fell .everytime we have been promoted to the  top flight theres great surge of optimism and then 2 years of mid table mediocrity and the wheels tend to come off the feel good factor   .

With social media these days, everybody's aware of everything. 

The clubs that are enjoyable to watch, will get the most eyes on them.

It's all about the here and now, We might have to wait for many years to see us play as good as Man City, Liverpool and Leicester. Its a building process that doesnt happen over night.

I dont see any harm enjoying the premier league, heart will always want Wednesday to do well.

Edited by bigash_swfc

This is kind of not looking at the bigger picture in the mid 80's football was rife with hooligans at every game that drove away a lot of supporters. 

Looking at this period is distorting the figures for fans many drifted away to safer things to do and came back when the premier league started in 92/93. I would not be using the mid 80's as a guide for attendances personally.