Palmer, Fox, Rhodes

Whilever he remains part of the squad then you never know? He can't get on the bench at the moment so the chances of him producing are next to nil. Also he needs to be part of an orthodox front two. We don't play this way. We need to move him on but will probably struggle to do so?

16 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Came on against Hull for 20 mins and was anonymous 

No he wasn’t. He got on the end of three half-chances in those 20 minutes with his usual excellent awareness and movement.

I’m not saying he’s worth a place. But credit when it’s due.

• Thanks 1

This Rhodes issue could have only happened to us.  Who would have thought back then that 3 years on we would have FF, Rhodes, Winnall barely getting any game time, Hooper released and Big Adthe effectively a first eleven player in a front two! 

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

This Rhodes issue could have only happened to us.  Who would have thought back then that 3 years on we would have FF, Rhodes, Winnall barely getting any game time, Hooper released and Big Adthe effectively a first eleven player in a front two! 

We well and truly snookered ourselves with the Rhodes deal, didn't we? By the time we actually signed him permanently, making him our record signing, we didn't really want him!

If only we'd taken on that initial loan without committing to a future purchase, things could have turned out so much better. Were we even in competition with other clubs trying to sign him at the time?

Neither Palmer or Fox have improved their skills, they are simply fitter than before and have both realised that unless they do better more consistently, they will be out of the club. This transformation was down to Bruce and Monk has the same work ethic so he's inherited two OK squad members. Rhodes on the other hand would appear to be out of favour... can't even get on the bench.

I doubt we will ever see him as a regular here and will be surprised if some arrangements haven't already been made to sort him out in January.

7 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Neither Palmer or Fox have improved their skills, they are simply fitter than before and have both realised that unless they do better more consistently, they will be out of the club. This transformation was down to Bruce and Monk has the same work ethic so he's inherited two OK squad members. Rhodes on the other hand would appear to be out of favour... can't even get on the bench.

I doubt we will ever see him as a regular here and will be surprised if some arrangements haven't already been made to sort him out in January.

Palmer had improved long before Bruce arrived

21 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He won’t be going anywhere on those wages.. nobody is going to take him on 40k a week when he can’t get on our bench

its the same with Winnall.. Would probably bang them in in League 1 but nobody would pay him 15k a week

have to hope that he can force his way in but seen nothing to suggest he’s doing that. Not making excuses for him, but he’s useless up front on his own.. only way it could possibly work is if he played alongside Fletcher in a 4-4-2 with wingers getting balls in. But we don’t play like that.. either we’re playing 1 up front or 2 up with both expected to hold the ball up

Vast majority of his appearances for us have been either on his own, alongside FF or coming on for 20 mins replacing Fletcher. It’s no wonder he doesn’t score. But given that’s been going on for 3 years his confidence must be shot. Probably end up sat around until the end of his contract now 

Rowett is a fan of Winnall I can see him going to Milwall

Rhodes is done - pathetic excuse of a footballer now. 

Doesn't bust a gut, doesn't get in the positions, not interested and I don't even think he has the togetherness that the rest of the squad look to have with one another at the minute - for whatever reason 

Get him gone 

2 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

I agree with this to some extent.  Fox is so much fitter and stronger.  I remember one game (maybe Wolves?) he was so knacked he got himself sent off, he was completely out of gas.  He showed no signs of fatigue at all last week in 2 defensive battles.

Often repeated, but not as often as ignored. 

.......I’m (nearly) always right. About everything. Even my wife has accepted this now.

As requested, next week’s lottery numbers.....

4, 5, 13, 28, 48, 49.

Looking forward to Rhodes’ next hat trick. 

I’ll end with Monk’s Saturday Afternoon Symphony no. 4 in E Minor.............

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/10/2019 at 11:54, theowlsman said:

Palmer and Fox are the most improved players at the club. I think our manager’s influence and confidence in them has helped tremendously. Under Monk, can we expect Jordan Rhodes to also improve substantially to the point where he can fully justify regular starts?

We know what Rhodes can do when fully confident, but are we to stop believing that Monk can get the best out of Rhodes too? I for one, would love to think that Rhodes can get back on track.

Top top work mate.

Some of the comments on this thread are gold dust.

Not for some on here, the disappointment of a player who's not lived up to his reputation.

Not the hope that he may somehow would find the form he had once shown.

No acknowledgement that his form in pre season had been an indication of what possibly was to come if a manager showed faith & gave him a run in a formation that may suit his style.

No. None of these. Just the stone cold certainty (not an opinion that was preceded with the words "I think", or "it appears" or "In my opinion") that "he's done", or "less said about this dross the better", or "Forget Rhodes he's finished" and much worse. 

This absolute total uncompromising certainty and the abuse that went with it (stealing a wage, not interested & worse) that he was finished, makes your original post (and any of the other minority who shared your view) all the more refreshing. Vulva also called it spot on saying he should be given an unbroken 5 game run in the side. 

Also big big credit to Gary Monk for sticking with him and giving him the chance.

Life must be getting really tough in the scapegoating stakes. Rhodes (seemingly, hopefully) having exorcised his demons, Morgan Fox looking like Lewis Buxton re born, Adam Reach looking his majestic self again. Suppose there's always old Atdhe to fall back on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Palmer and Fox are OK and seem to be improving, Rhodes is not what he was and I think it is unlikely he will regain the form that made his reputation as a prolific striker at this level but fair play to him yesterday and that may spark an interest for his services from somewhere.

If decent offers came in for any of them in January I would not be berating Monk if he let them leave.