False Position?

We are where we are.

There's only a couple of 'stand out' teams in the division and they are guaranteed nothing.

I believe we have a squad capable of causing problems against most teams in this division.

The key is consistency and if we are in this position at Christmas I would expect Monk to have us in the mix come the end of the season.

12 hours ago, owl-zat said:

I’m just playing devils advocate here . . . . .

On Tuesday we could rise up to 2nd place and they say after 10 games the league represents a true indication of how things are going but if we look at who we’ve faced, the results and where they currently are in the league :-

Preston 5th place - 0 points

QPR  9th place - 0 points

Fulham 10th place 1 point

Luton 16th place - 3 points

Millwall 17th place - 0 points

Middlesbrough 18th place - 3 points

Reading 20th place - 3 points

Barnsley 22nd place - 3 points

Huddersfield 23rd place - 3 points

We play Hull on Tuesday who are in 15th place so will have then played 7 out of the bottom 10 teams in our first 10 games and admittedly we’ve done well against them and need to beat these teams if we are going to push for promotion but against the 3 teams we have played in the top half we’ve taken just 1 point.

The ‘easy’ run then continues with a game against 22nd placed Wigan.

Obviously you can only beat who is in front of you but the real tests I feel are to come and we’ll see a true reflection of where we are at the end of November after Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and the surprise team Charlton.

WAWAW

True. But in true Wednesday fashion our achilles heel has always been the lower teams. I have lost count a long time a go the amount of times we have lost a game we were expected to win. 

We should be glad we haven't had 9 nil-ones and occupying the bottom spot. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, owl-zat said:

On Tuesday we could rise up to 2nd place and they say after 10 games the league represents a true indication of how things are going but if we look at who we’ve faced, the results and where they currently are in the league :-

We play Hull on Tuesday who are in 15th place so will have then played 7 out of the bottom 10 teams in our first 10 games and admittedly we’ve done well against them and need to beat these teams if we are going to push for promotion but against the 3 teams we have played in the top half we’ve taken just 1 point.

Obviously you can only beat who is in front of you but the real tests I feel are to come and we’ll see a true reflection of where we are at the end of November after Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and the surprise team Charlton.

WAWAW

Right ray of sunshine aren't you.

If I could -10 neg you I would.

Jeezus Christ.

15 hours ago, owl-zat said:

WAWAW

Fair point but think Miwaw can be taken out as we battered them and that was a smash and grab defeat. 

Preston and QPR dumb defensive mistakes and probably being too defensive in terms of set up. 

I think we'll improve, Monk will find formation / set up which already looks like emerging with Fletcher / Nuhiu axis adding more physicality and Iorfa offering much needed pace, power and aggression in both boxes. 

Let's just look to next game, get the 3 points and let the others worry about us.  Teams will be making plans to deal with Nuhiu/ Fletcher which invariably create space for our ball players... 

• Like 1

We faced most of them with a un proven caretaker manager in charge. Let's judge monk and his team after 10 games. 

I pushed the reset button on our season from Huddersfield. 

We were not looking fantastic, but picked up some points under bully, but monk is a far more experienced manager at this level and far more advanced in tactics and strategies, our form is beginning to improve as he's implementing things, so let's give him a chance, before writing our season off as also rans. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Warringtonowl said:

True. But in true Wednesday fashion our achilles heel has always been the lower teams. I have lost count a long time a go the amount of times we have lost a game we were expected to win. 

We should be glad we haven't had 9 nil-ones and occupying the bottom spot. 

People seem to have selective memory's this has been our problem for years..... Stevenage or Burton anyone?

It will be interesting to see how we do against the likes of WBA but can you see Charlton being in the play off places at the end of the season, I can't

I can only see us getting better and more resolute under monk.....strap in for the journey

The key in this league is finding a way to keep picking up points.

We need to make sure we turn up for every game , battle and scrap to get the points. Every game is so tight.

This is the mentality issue Monk has mentioned a few times. The key thing is for every player to have the belief that they are going to do their job and that we are going to win .

Belief and confidence are the things that make things happen for you in games.

Too often we have been on the receiving end from teams.

This is where you find out as a manager which players you can trust to do their job, week in week out. It’s no good having players who are brilliant one game and don’t turn up the next. Joao was such, a nightmare for a manager.

I have no doubt Monk will have a detailed game plan for every game.

We need players who can be relied upon to consistently execute  it.

Have we got ‘em.?

And of course, draws kill you.

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

No-ones gifted us free points, we’ve earned every one as have the teams above us and below us. We’ve been better than some and worse than others - that’s why the leagues a meritocracy and false positions are a nonsense concept.

Not until you’ve played everyone once it isn’t...

On 29/09/2019 at 10:16, owl-zat said:

WAWAW

Nah you've played well Monk is a great manager and the blues were crushed to lose him. I hope we get auto's this year as the owner seems to want out, I think what he wants we need to be in the prem. I can see you being up there though

On 29/09/2019 at 10:16, owl-zat said:

WAWAW

No easy games in this division, historically supposed easy games have cost us in the past. As we’ve seen before Cardiff were no ones tip for promotion and went up automatically. This division is there for the taking if we’re consistent and want it enough.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:31, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I think it’s a fair question and I suspect the next 9/10 games will tell. There’s also the new manager syndrome, which often kicks in.  I left Middlesbrough elated with that first half performance, but to me there are still many many questions.

1. Is Odabajo good enough at RB. I like his speed, he can beat a player, but his positioning is awful sometimes (often caught wrong side) and when his head is down he makes blind passes. 

2. What is Iorfa’s best position. One awful game at CH but a couple of crackers. He’ll get us goals so he has to play, but yesterday we could have conceded another couple - would we view things differently if it had ended 3-4.

3. Centre midfield. At home Hutch and Bannon sit too deep, yesterday we did well partly because Bannon was more advanced in the first half. Not heard anything about Hutch’s injury, Luongo was ok but in the second half the midfield wasn’t as good. Was that due to the second half plan after leading 4-1 or because he doesn’t quite fit as well. Kieran Lee has done ok, nothing more, but will he be able to step up if we regularly play 2 in there. 

4. Reach was excellent yesterday, can he revert to those standards as he’s not had the best of starts to the season.

5. Playing two up top worked, but we relied on height not pace yesterday, when we all know pace will sometimes be needed. Rhodes looks lost, Winnall still not fully fit (with a full pre-season and still not quite there then that’s a worry), and Nuihu often does best as an impact sub.  He did ok yesterday but if we play Fletch and Dave together most games, teams will adjust so I can’t see it being a long term permanent solution. Fessi is an option once back, but I’d still rather him play wide and he could be a great option to replace Harris or Reach if either aren’t quite doing it.

6. Fletch is so important right now, an injury there and I can’t see how we replace him. He’s perhaps our most important player right now.

7. With other injuries, are Fox, Murphy , Pelupessy etc capable of filling in to the point where results wouldn’t be affected.

Considering the upheaval with Bruce, I’m really pleased with the start. I’d love to think we can make the top 6 then really compete for top 2, but I’m not sure if we really have the wherewithal within the squad. Borner and Harris look real finds and Palmer is answering the LB issue, so they are real positives. 

Wish id not wrote that after Boro. Point 6 especially after tonight. 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Wonder where ‘not a false position brigade’ have gone

Yep, where are you Steelman?

On 29/09/2019 at 23:24, Steelman said:

Right ray of sunshine aren't you.

If I could -10 neg you I would.

Jeezus Christ.

On 30/09/2019 at 20:09, Baggiehy said:

Nah you've played well Monk is a great manager and the blues were crushed to lose him. I hope we get auto's this year as the owner seems to want out, I think what he wants we need to be in the prem. I can see you being up there though

WTF: