False Position?

I’m just playing devils advocate here . . . . .

On Tuesday we could rise up to 2nd place and they say after 10 games the league represents a true indication of how things are going but if we look at who we’ve faced, the results and where they currently are in the league :-

Preston 5th place - 0 points

QPR  9th place - 0 points

Fulham 10th place 1 point

Luton 16th place - 3 points

Millwall 17th place - 0 points

Middlesbrough 18th place - 3 points

Reading 20th place - 3 points

Barnsley 22nd place - 3 points

Huddersfield 23rd place - 3 points

We play Hull on Tuesday who are in 15th place so will have then played 7 out of the bottom 10 teams in our first 10 games and admittedly we’ve done well against them and need to beat these teams if we are going to push for promotion but against the 3 teams we have played in the top half we’ve taken just 1 point.

The ‘easy’ run then continues with a game against 22nd placed Wigan.

Obviously you can only beat who is in front of you but the real tests I feel are to come and we’ll see a true reflection of where we are at the end of November after Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and the surprise team Charlton.

WAWAW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might get a bit of stick @owl-zat for being negative, but it’s a very fair question and I think you are throwing it out as a question.

The average position of the teams we have played is 15th. 

5 of our 9 have been away. Which becomes 6 out of 10 on Tuesday. 

We we lost our excellent manager days before KO. We spent six games under a caretaker.

Our form under Monk is WDW with two aways.

I think without doubt there is nothing false about our league position. Plus, success breeds success in any case.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, owl-zat said:

On Tuesday we could rise up to 2nd place and they say after 10 games the league represents a true indication of how things are going but if we look at who we’ve faced, the results and where they currently are in the league :-

We play Hull on Tuesday who are in 15th place so will have then played 7 out of the bottom 10 teams in our first 10 games and admittedly we’ve done well against them and need to beat these teams if we are going to push for promotion but against the 3 teams we have played in the top half we’ve taken just 1 point.

Obviously you can only beat who is in front of you but the real tests I feel are to come and we’ll see a true reflection of where we are at the end of November after Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and the surprise team Charlton.

WAWAW

Lets worry about the league position with only a few games left in April.

Imo we should have done better in the opening month of the season. However we have done better than I thought in September. 7th at the minute is a very decent position. Hull and Wigan next, on paper 2 winnable games. No doubt about it though we have played some of the so called poorer teams in the league so far. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

It’s the championship teams go on positive and negative runs all the times. This could easily be the new manager bump. 

Yesterday was great, but we could easily come down to earth with a bump Tuesday and Saturday! 

A couple of things that go in our favour though .. our squad is a solid upper table experienced championship one.

We have strength in depth.

We have manager who after 4 games looks to not play a system to please as many players as possible but plays system to get results.

Far too early to call anything out yet.. it’s a fair point by the OP though.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, owl-zat said:

WAWAW

Agree but by then monk will havs had more time to instill his policy's and hopefully we will be a much improved unit. 

• Like 1

I’m sure Fulham expected to beat the Dingles , I’m equally sure Blackburn expected to beat Luton and ditto Swansea expected to beat Reading but this division doesn’t work like that 

Anyone trying to predict results in the Championship is on a fools errand because the cliche that anyone can beat anyone on their day could have been coined specifically with the Championship in mind 

• Like 1

Don’t think we are in a false position at all.

IMO we have a top ten squad.

Where we finish in that top ten will be determined by the right tactics, motivation and of course a little luck with injuries and decisions.

Pace up top and a quality left back is where I believe we still fall a bit short 

I'd say not appointing Monk until the international break and being deprived of one of our better players for 6 games evens out the kind fixtures. 

In the circumstances, think we've done better than expected. If Monk can get the best out of our players as he seems to be doing, we've as good a chance as anyone else in challenging in the top 6 but not taking anything for granted.

I'm just enjoying us creating chances and scoring some goals for a change.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3