Sam winnall on sky sports now

22 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

haha

we decided not to go

been to enough of these games to know

people wont agree with me but id scrap the league cup.  no championship team will win it and there's no prestige in getting to the quarters.

Think to make this cup worthwhile, Prem teams should be banned

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We did attempt to win the game. 

Arguably, we had the better chances. 

But yeah, it wasn't our strongest team. We are hardly unique in putting league before the cups. 

We didn't give ourselves the best chance of winning the game that's the difference that's why we are supposed to be professional.

Just now, Ian_D said:

Yea I was thinking that.

I bet when Man City won it it just gave a chance for some fans to visit Wembley when they might have struggled to get tickets for the FA cup visits.

And they could still put out a second string and still win the match

They never stop moaning that they play too many games as it is.

12 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Or teams in European competitions shouldn’t take part. It would help them with their own fixture congestion and ensure the big 6 clubs at the time aren’t in the league cup.

Or have a PL league cup and put the championship clubs into the Johnstone’s paint trophy or whatever it’s called now 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but we arguably give ourselves a better chance by resting a few for Saturday. 

Football management is about taking gambles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. 

Gary Monk isn't going to sit there and be worrying about a hypothetical scenario where we lose both games. 

Right or wrong, we, like most clubs, will prioritise the league. That's just how it goes. 

We've nothing to prioritise for - it's ridiculous.

Anyone would think we've got a title decider on Saturday - I would much rather us win last night then beat middlesborough.

1 hour ago, full fathom five said:

People are talking like it's a given, what if we lose on Saturday? How does that make last night's team selection look?

If we lose, so be it. At least we gave ourselves the best possible chance of winning by resting key players. Bannan, Fletcher, and Hutchinson are now of an age where sat'dy Tuesday sat'dy will break them. Certain players do need protecting from themselves. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Not sure I agree. Everton had another gear if they needed it. 

anyone who was there when and how fast they they scored their second must surely have thought (well i did)  this could be a terrible score  thankfully they just didnt engage top gear 

56 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

haha

we decided not to go

people wont agree with me but id scrap the league cup.  no championship team will win it and there's no prestige in getting to the quarters.

I know mate, and no mediocre premier League team will ever win the league and no former Stocksbridge park steels player will ever win Premier League player of the season..

What's the point of it all?

Edited by keepitsteel89
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbster said:

I get where your coming from but I would still say it was the right decision... Gives us every chance of beating 'boro' with a rested team of course your right nothing is a given

Monk said he wanted to give fringe players a chance to impress and put themselves in the gaffers plans.

Pointless risking losing  one of the pivitol cogs of the side for a few weeks in this totally de-valued mickey mouse, camel hump cup. 

19 minutes ago, ka58 said:

We've nothing to prioritise for - it's ridiculous.

Anyone would think we've got a title decider on Saturday - I would much rather us win last night then beat middlesborough.

Are you on crack? 

People are talking like it's a given, what if we lose on Saturday? How does that make last night's team selection look?

I don't think were taking it as a given, but its common sense that we have more chance of winning Saturday when some of the first team have had a few extra days rest and we haven't added any injuries to the list.

Also the "first" teamers who come in on Saturday wont have been part of the team that lost last night so their confidence should still be high.

Over the course of a season we will get injuries and suspensions (Sam and Barry spring to mind) so will need these "fringe" players to be ready to step up

Games like this are a god-send for managers in our league with two players for every position. Remember the comments GM made about the Bury game........

Similar sized crowd to league games gives it that bit of an edge compared to U23's etc.

He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t . If Harris , Börner , and fletcher has all got knocks he’d be getting pelt for not resting players . Instead Luongo , Pelupessy , winnall and nuihu got vital minutes, making them sharper when called upon 

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

haha

we decided not to go

40 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Or teams in European competitions shouldn’t take part. It would help them with their own fixture congestion and ensure the big 6 clubs at the time aren’t in the league cup.

Or have a PL league cup and put the championship clubs into the Johnstone’s paint trophy or whatever it’s called now 

Can't agree with this, how is it any different to how the League Cup has been for decades? When was the last time a team outside the top flight won it? :tongue:

Having the big teams that play in Europe is part of the attraction, especially for young supporters. Arsenal were Champions League regulars when we beat them in 2015, one of the most enjoyable and memorable games outside play-offs in many years at Hillsborough. Pretty sure Colchester fans were happy to draw Spurs rather than a Burnley or a Newcastle even before their result yesterday as well.

6 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t . If Harris , Börner , and fletcher has all got knocks he’d be getting pelt for not resting players . Instead Luongo , Pelupessy , winnall and nuihu got vital minutes, making them sharper when called upon 

Exactly. 

The league is the priority, it has to be. 

We are outside the playoffs by 1 point at the moment, 4 points off top. 

As mediocre as we have been/might be, there probably is a chance to do something in the league this season, on account of how meh it is. 

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I'd have thought this is the obvious answer - but I doubt any sponsor would agree

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Not a PL league cup - they don't need the fixtures or the revenue

But Championship clubs in a modified Trophy format? Sure

It would allow clubs to utilise their squads AND remain competitive - but it wouldn't attract the crowds