Sam winnall on sky sports now

3 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

But i'd have given a right arm to beat Fulham last Saturday.  That's the difference.

3 hours ago, Hookowl said:

giphy.gif

We've run out of right arms.

Will one of these left one's do instead.lol

• Haha 1

But if you take the top tier out of the cup, it kills all the excitement of a giant killing. 

You take away everything the cup games stood for.

It will end up exactly the same,  just that the giant killing can't come from the Championship, because they will then be the top tier.

All you would have is mundane cup games, that will be exactly the same as mundane Championship league games. 

16 minutes ago, MAL said:

But if you take the top tier out of the cup, it kills all the excitement of a giant killing. 

You take away everything the cup games stood for.

Yes, but I don't see how excluding those sides who've qualified for Europe would harm the competition

That would still leave around twenty or so 'big' clubs in the draw

Plus, the winner might actually qualify for the Europa League, rather than pass the place onto the next highest finisher in the PL table

I'm all for breaking the stranglehold the current top 6 have on domestic trophies

They've already ruined the FA Cup imo by abolishing replays

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, but I don't see how excluding those sides who've qualified for Europe would harm the competition

That would still leave around twenty or so 'big' clubs in the draw

Plus, the winner might actually qualify for the Europa League, rather than pass the place onto the next highest finisher in the PL table

I'm all for breaking the stranglehold the current top 6 have on domestic trophies

They've already ruined the FA Cup imo by abolishing replays

Yeah, that's a fair enough point, but...

I was looking more at the spectator view.

Fans turn up for the big games (Us v Arsenal) they are not going to pay to see a match against what is another Championship or a little bit better team.

IMHO there would not be anywhere near 20 "Big Clubs", that would attract any sort of attention, unless you progressed closer to the Final.

21 minutes ago, MAL said:

IMHO there would not be anywhere near 20 "Big Clubs",

Of course there are

It doesn't have to be Arsenal, ManC or Liverpool, Chelsea or ManU every time

But the imbalance that currently exists makes it harder for those 20 clubs to succeed

... and by doing so, set about the seemingly impossible task of closing the gap

As for public attention focussed only on the latter stages - well that's exactly where we're at now, isn't it?

Guest Grez Bez
2 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Of course there are

But the imbalance that currently exists makes it harder for those 20 clubs to succeed

As for public attention focussed only on the latter stages - well that's exactly where we're at now, isn't it?

If it's anyone out of the top 6 plus Everton, Villa or Newcastle then Its not a pull.

The cups need a champions League place to make people take it seriously

3 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

If it's anyone out of the top 6 plus Everton, Villa or Newcastle then Its not a pull.

The cups need a champions League place to make people take it seriously

Yes, but are you talking about us? Or any other club in the competition?

An early round or say, the quarter final?

I think the biggest "pull" would be having a realistic chance of winning the thing

And that aim could well stretch to half a dozen sides currently battling it out in the Championship

Guest Grez Bez
20 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, but are you talking about us? Or any other club in the competition?

An early round or say, the quarter final?

I think the biggest "pull" would be having a realistic chance of winning the thing

And that aim could well stretch to half a dozen sides currently battling it out in the Championship

I think it's the same for all clubs.

If there's no big clubs there's no point. Nobody wants to win the LDV Vans trophy fir the same reason

6 hours ago, wilyfox said:

If we lose, so be it. At least we gave ourselves the best possible chance of winning by resting key players. Bannan, Fletcher, and Hutchinson are now of an age where sat'dy Tuesday sat'dy will break them. Certain players do need protecting from themselves. 

should have played best side,we had a chance of progress,so if we dip Sat weve wasted a good opportunity ?

44 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Of course there are

But nobody will want to watch those teams, you have included Everton in your "Big Clubs".

We had them last night, 21,000 turned up, that was including a big following from them.

It would just die a quicker death than it is now.

7 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

If there's no big clubs there's no point. Nobody wants to win the LDV Vans trophy fir the same reason

I don't know where to start  :sad:

Those 'big' clubs you refer to are monsters created over the past dozen or so years in the name of greed

You could say if they're going to win everything from now until whenever then there really is no point

I'm merely suggesting a competitive alternative

As for the LDV Vans trophy?

I couldn't name a past winner off the top of my head

But I'm sure whoever did were as pleased as punch - and their fans were glad they turned out to see it

9 minutes ago, MAL said:

But nobody will want to watch those teams, you have included Everton in your "Big Clubs".

We had them last night, 21,000 turned up, that was including a big following from them.

It would just die a quicker death than it is now.

So there are only four or five clubs in this country that actually count for anything

Perhaps another half dozen across Europe

The rest are totally irrelevant - not worth turning out to watch

That makes 21,000 sound like a bloody good crowd, doesn't it?

But what if it was a quarter final. Same game

Think it'd be the same crowd?

I remember drawing the pigs in the league cup the season after BDM - there was around 24k at Hillsborough

Couple of years later - Burnley at home, FA Cup qtr final replay - over 41k

I'd say it's the match, the prize, that holds the appeal - not necessarily the opposition

But most domestic cup competitions nowadays are like a procession, perm two from six

And the finals are instantly forgettable

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Are you on crack? 

No - I take it you disagree?

give us a quick explanation as to why you think beating middlesborough away on Saturday is better than beating Everton on Tuesday then?