Sam winnall on sky sports now

2 minutes ago, debram said:

Our other gears were all on the bench, until it was too late that is. 

Good decision by Monk. I'd rather take 3pts on sat'dy. 

Just now, full fathom five said:

People are talking like it's a given, what if we lose on Saturday? How does that make last night's team selection look?

I get where your coming from but I would still say it was the right decision... Gives us every chance of beating 'boro' with a rested team of course your right nothing is a given

3 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

People are talking like it's a given, what if we lose on Saturday? How does that make last night's team selection look?

Yes, but we arguably give ourselves a better chance by resting a few for Saturday. 

Football management is about taking gambles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. 

Gary Monk isn't going to sit there and be worrying about a hypothetical scenario where we lose both games. 

Right or wrong, we, like most clubs, will prioritise the league. That's just how it goes. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Not sure I agree. Everton had another gear if they needed it. 

I would expect them to have at least one more. A team with 8(i think it was) changes going up against a decent premier league team, happy we didn't get mullered to be honest. 

Not really bothered about yesterday’s match we all know the outcome of that anyway Liverpool Man City final so what’s the point in trying I know it sounds a bit defeatist but nine times out of 10 that’s the why is it going to be a big team against a big team at the end 

Just now, full fathom five said:

Don't really think hindsight was required with last night's team selection if im being honest.

haha

we decided not to go

been to enough of these games to know

people wont agree with me but id scrap the league cup.  no championship team will win it and there's no prestige in getting to the quarters.

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but we arguably give ourselves a better chance by resting a few for Saturday. 

Football management is about taking gambles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. 

Gary Monk isn't going to sit there and be worrying about a hypothetical scenario where we lose both games. 

Right or wrong, we, like most clubs, will prioritise the league. That's just how it goes. 

Fair enough but I'd arguably watch my team attempt to win every game and give it's self the best chance of doing so in every game. Guess i must be an old romantic but i always played sport to win.It just seems fashionable to simply write games off nowadays and nobody blinks an eye.

Edited by full fathom five

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Fair enough but I'd arguably watch my team attempt to win every game and give it's self the best chance of doing so in every game. Guess i must be an old romantic but i always played sport to win.It just seems fashionable to simply write games off nowadays and nobody blinks an eye.

We did attempt to win the game. 

Arguably, we had the better chances. 

But yeah, it wasn't our strongest team. We are hardly unique in putting league before the cups. 

5 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Can't blame you for not going tbh

I think the result against Arsenal was rare and a bit of a freak result..meeting us at a time when we were on a positive high wave.

But I'm sure they got over it in about a week and moved on.  Much like Spurs will.  Bet nobody remembers that result apart from Radio Sheffield and Wednesday fans.

Great atmosphere and fun at the time

But i'd have given a right arm to beat Fulham last Saturday.  That's the difference.