I’m glad we’ve hired Monk instead of the Cowleys...

23 minutes ago, trev said:

The Cowleys would have been afforded more time. They had the vast majority of fans supporting them and excited about them.

Anecdotal of course, but I think you might be overestimating the excitement surrounding the Cowleys in the fanbase as a whole. Outside of OT I haven't seen anything from ST holders I speak to suggest any real clamour.

6 minutes ago, JPA said:

Anecdotal of course, but I think you might be overestimating the excitement surrounding the Cowleys in the fanbase as a whole. Outside of OT I haven't seen anything from ST holders I speak to suggest any real clamour.

Fair point.

41 minutes ago, trev said:

Nah...not having it.

Monk won't be given the time to turn the whole club around. Which we need. His appointment has divided the fan base.

The Cowleys would have been afforded more time. They had the vast majority of fans supporting them and excited about them.

Fans can be fickle I know and it's a results based business. But I just think a few bad results and fans will be on his back early doors. 

He has a very tough job winning over a lot of people. I hope he does, but I just have a feeling he will be sacked within 18 months.

Agree football is results based but sorry I  don’t buy that the Cowley’s would’ve got more time than anybody else. Unproven at this level and let’s say they got the job and we lost the first 5 games there would be hell on. 

30 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Agree football is results based but sorry I  don’t buy that the Cowley’s would’ve got more time than anybody else. Unproven at this level and let’s say they got the job and we lost the first 5 games there would be hell on. 

And if Monk loses his first 5? Way way worse. Because a lot of fans don't like or want him. Plus his previous experience in this league would automatically get rid of the argument that he needs time to get up to speed in this league etc.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I just feel like Monk won't get a honeymoon period with our fans.

1 hour ago, Mishowl said:

I wonder if he will be given the "4 or 5 transfer windows" people were saying Cowley needed? 

Cowley would have got half a dozen games and if we hadn't won at least 3 of them fans would have been saying "here we go, another poor appointment, we should have learned from Stoke appointing Nathan Jones, lower league managers aren't up to it in Championship.

Cowley on record as wanting to join a club in the summer to run a full audit .. I wouldn’t of given them any time to turn around things with 9 points in the bag and our current squad - I want results.

Monk is a realist understands the pressures .. far  more pressure at Leeds from the fans and the chairman at that time.

Cowley were the new Hurst weren't  they - Hurst was the next messiah but goes to Ipswich and fails massively.

Monk is a solid appointment 

DC done two experiments .. Carlos and Jos plus I suspect he was willing to give Bullen a chance as well.

He’s now appointed two solid experienced English managers .. which again I recall was the criteria from there majority of our fan base for soooo long!

Edited by dowls
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Problem is, we are a small club. Clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford are light year in front, on so many levels. We are the Austin Maestros of English football. 

but doesnt everything of yesteryear make a comeback

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Problem is, we are a small club. Clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford are light year in front, on so many levels. We are the Austin Maestros of English football. 

We are behind them but I don't see that we are a small club compared to any of those you mention. 

Behind them currently yes, smaller no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Small clubs don't take 40 odd thousand to Wembley

Small clubs don't take 5,000 to Preston for a meaningless end of season game

Three of the clubs you mention can only dream of a fanbase like ours

The other has nothing else to do at weekends baa shag sheep

Do you like what I did there?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, trev said:

Nah...not having it.

Monk won't be given the time to turn the whole club around. Which we need. His appointment has divided the fan base.

Fans can be fickle I know and it's a results based business. But I just think a few bad results and fans will be on his back early doors. 

He has a very tough job winning over a lot of people. I hope he does, but I just have a feeling he will be sacked within 18 months.

Thats b*llocks.

Cowley or Monk - if we aren’t in and around the playoffs, both will be gone.

If the Cowleys failed, we’d all berate Chansiri for a gamble appointment and be on their backs - not a chance they’d be given more time if results went the wrong way

If Monk fails, we’ll hammer him for not going for someone off the managerial merry go round and do the same

Chansiri can’t win - but he’s gone for the easy option for someone who’s managed on this league before, can’t blame him

Edited by TodwickOwl

1 hour ago, trev said:

And if Monk loses his first 5? Way way worse. Because a lot of fans don't like or want him. Plus his previous experience in this league would automatically get rid of the argument that he needs time to get up to speed in this league etc.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I just feel like Monk won't get a honeymoon period with our fans.

Speak for yourself - I think it’s a split fanbase. 

We was never ever going to hire someone with 100% backing unless Hughton or Cowleys

I remember last time DC signed someone up from fan pressure.....