1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Neither were the other 8 starters. Yet that midfield 3 were geniuses a fortnight ago. 

I'd be rotating Luongo with them from now on though rather than keeping him in the bench every game. 

Not by me.

At the moment midfield players in the championship need to be able to do a bit of everything.

Run , win tackles, play a bit and an odd goal would be nice.

Bannan and Hutch have obvious strengths but glaring weaknesses.

Lee is the  most complete of the 3 but his comeback ain’t going to be smooth and unfortunately Saturday was the first time this season he didn’t look anything like fit.

We don’t know what Luongo will bring or if he will improve us but he looks a strong runner and tackler with just enough ability.

We need to find out if he improves us and if he does then forget rotation.

The guy is used to playing 40 games per season 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Time for a start? None of the midfield 3 performed on Saturday.

Can’t argue with that.

So for whom?

Home to QPR...has to be Hutchinson. We absolutely do not need a third CB, which is where Hutch defaults to playing. Lee scores goals. Bannan is the heartbeat that holds it all together.

I’m happy to start him but I don’t think this is the problem. I think we have no cohesive plan in how we should play. The whole midfield is not functioning. Personally, I think we should be playing higher up the pitch for a start and the full backs playing further forward. 

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’m happy to start him but I don’t think this is the problem. I think we have no cohesive plan in how we should play. The whole midfield is not functioning. Personally, I think we should be playing higher up the pitch for a start and the full backs playing further forward. 

From what I have seen, missed Millwall game, the plan appears to be 

don’t play out from the back when keeper has it, get it forward although occasionally you are forced to pass it across the back

then use a high press with Bannan Lee and the wingers supporting Fletcher 

if the high press fails retreat , defend and try and hit on the break with our pace out wide 

problem is when a side packs midfield like Luton, Preston they can pass round the high press 

also with Bannan playing further forward he never gets on the ball so our possession and passing is non existent.

with the wingers playing wide no room for fullbacks to get forward, even if they were capable.

So in the worst case scenario we end up with the presses out of the game, a big hole  in midfield and the opposition attacking.

To be fair the defence apart from right back have been very good 

Edited by oldishowl

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Starts against toytown, plays well and gives bullen a real selection dilemma

Someone also needs to tell Hutchinson that he is allowed in the opponent's half, Carlos left ages ago

Perhaps it's as well that he doesn't go in the opponents half, did you see how he panicked when he was through against Luton in the second half.

11 hours ago, paddyowl said:

For who though ?

Lee? 

Bannan?

Hutchinson?

Serious question.

Away from home in the league I would play-

Hutch Luongo

Lee

At home in the league I would play- 

Luongo Bannan

Lee

Since Carlos’s first season with Lee, Hutch and Bannan in the team we have had the problem of being over-ran in midfield. It was often because we only had 2 in the middle versus a 3, but the combination of the 3 is just not enough to take us that step further, need more strength.

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Can’t argue with that.

So for whom?

Home to QPR...has to be Hutchinson. We absolutely do not need a third CB, which is where Hutch defaults to playing. Lee scores goals. Bannan is the heartbeat that holds it all together.

Luongo being a box to box player, capable of winning the ball and good with it too, could easily come in for any one of our first choice midfielders. I'd argue with his energy and reliability, he'd improve our midfield. At first I'd bring him in for Hutch or Lee, has they both could do with a rest when we have two or three games a week. Depending upon form, I'd bring in Luongo for any of them. At present in the last couple of games our midfield as not looked as good as it did in the opening couple of games. Bringing in Luongo will help with the balance and will re-energise our midfield. Over time I would make Luongo first choice, as I think he's too good to be merely a sub or cover, I'd personally have no qualms about bringing him in for either one of our current midfield three, has I believe he'll improve our midfield.

13 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Luongo being a box to box player, capable of winning the ball and good with it too, could easily come in for any one of our first choice midfielders. I'd argue with his energy and reliability, he'd improve our midfield. At first I'd bring him in for Hutch or Lee, has they both could do with a rest when we have two or three games a week. Depending upon form, I'd bring in Luongo for any of them. At present in the last couple of games our midfield as not looked as good as it did in the opening couple of games. Bringing in Luongo will help with the balance and will re-energise our midfield. Over time I would make Luongo first choice, as I think he's too good to be merely a sub or cover, I'd personally have no qualms about bringing him in for either one of our current midfield three, has I believe he'll improve our midfield.

Agree completely.

In 15/16 this midfield trio was:-

Lee 27 - Hutchinson 26 - Bannan 26 

Hutch had always been in and out thru injury but the other two were freakily healthy athletes in their prime.

Now

Lee 31 - Hutchinson 30 - Bannan 30

Not for one moment am I saying they are past it, but inevitably they can’t get around as athletically as four years ago.

26 year old Luongo seems to have great energy and a fabulous acceleration over a short distance that leaves opponents trailing in his wake. I hope and think we will see him start against his previous club QPR. Bound to be massively up for it.

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Can’t argue with that.

So for whom?

The problem with this is the defaults to playing. When Hutch plays further up the pitch were a much better side. He defaults to playing there when others disappear as  Bannan did Saturday. Hutch is key to how we play. For me it’s him and Luongo in Cm in a 4231 formation against QPR

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agree completely.

In 15/16 this midfield trio was:-

Lee 27 - Hutchinson 26 - Bannan 26 

Hutch had always been in and out thru injury but the other two were freakily healthy athletes in their prime.

Now

Lee 31 - Hutchinson 30 - Bannan 30

Not for one moment am I saying they are past it, but inevitably they can’t get around as athletically as four years ago.

26 year old Luongo seems to have great energy and a fabulous acceleration over a short distance that leaves opponents trailing in his wake. I hope and think we will see him start against his previous club QPR. Bound to be massively up for it.

Aye, all three were brilliant in their prime. Especially during the play off seasons. However, Hutch has unfortunately not been the most reliable, and Lee has had a long time out, and the most consistent and reliable of the three Bazza, has even had spells out. For those reasons, plus Luongo's ability, consistency and reliability, I'd like to see him become first choice over time and I think he will. I hope Luongo can come in for any of them. Although I think we might regret not bringing in a younger more reliable version of Hutch, I think Luongo has the ability to come in for any of our current first choice midfielders, has he's a more complete midfielder with elements of all three in his playing style. I think he will prove to be a very astute signing.

11 hours ago, Think tank said:

Away from home in the league I would play-

Hutch Luongo

Lee

At home in the league I would play- 

Luongo Bannan

Lee

Since Carlos’s first season with Lee, Hutch and Bannan in the team we have had the problem of being over-ran in midfield. It was often because we only had 2 in the middle versus a 3, but the combination of the 3 is just not enough to take us that step further, need more strength.

I agree with that, I think we need a bit more aggression & mobility in midfield away from home and as much as I love Bannan he can sometimes become the problem rather than the solution when teams mark him out of the game.