Bannan and Hutch have strengths but we seem happy to ignore their weaknesses then wonder why we get performances like Preston.

Our midfield rarely functions as a unit. Apart from Millwall we haven’t had much possession in games.

Hutch looks like a defender playing midfield, because that is what he is. If he is to continue playing deep then we need fullbacks who continually get forward and cause the opponents problems or we end up with a back five and a big hole in midfield.

People defend Bannan by saying he is our best passer, which he is albeit only with one foot. However those who say he needs to play further forward are living in cloud cuckoo land. He doesn’t get in the game when playing further forward, he is incapable of getting on the ball because he loses any physical challenges.

I came to the conclusion ages ago the only way they will successfully play in central midfield together is as a two in a 4231.  Play them at the side of each other, give them responsibility for making sure the team play high up the pitch. 

Stop Hutch dropping deep and let Bannan use his passing where he has a bit more space.

But they must absolutely not drop deep and must play at the side of each other to avoid the big hole that continually appears in our centre midfield.

On 27/08/2019 at 13:26, fpowl said:

Think he’s going to be our best signing this year and considering the start Borner and Harris have had that’s a pretty good signing 

he’s been unlucky because the teams been winning but he’s nailed on to start against toy town 

and then hopefully keep his place against his old club 

Its amazing we have managed to bring in these 3 players in my opinion and I agree I think they will all be very good players for us over the next few seasons, a much improved squad we have now!

Guest LittleG
47 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Bannan and Hutch have strengths but we seem happy to ignore their weaknesses then wonder why we get performances like Preston.

Our midfield rarely functions as a unit. Apart from Millwall we haven’t had much possession in games.

Hutch looks like a defender playing midfield, because that is what he is. If he is to continue playing deep then we need fullbacks who continually get forward and cause the opponents problems or we end up with a back five and a big hole in midfield.

People defend Bannan by saying he is our best passer, which he is albeit only with one foot. However those who say he needs to play further forward are living in cloud cuckoo land. He doesn’t get in the game when playing further forward, he is incapable of getting on the ball because he loses any physical challenges.

I came to the conclusion ages ago the only way they will successfully play in central midfield together is as a two in a 4231.  Play them at the side of each other, give them responsibility for making sure the team play high up the pitch. 

Stop Hutch dropping deep and let Bannan use his passing where he has a bit more space.

But they must absolutely not drop deep and must play at the side of each other to avoid the big hole that continually appears in our centre midfield.

You could have also included Lee in your assessment of the players in midfield and their weaknesses; he's way below his previous standards. Another worrying aspect is that we are still relying on these same 3 midfielders that hit the heights 3 years ago. 

On 26/08/2019 at 09:23, paddyowl said:

For who though ?

Lee? 

Bannan?

Hutchinson?

Serious question.

Depends how we want to set up .. if its to go for the jugglar then probably Hutch, it its to at least have a bit of control in midfield it would be Klee or Bannan ..

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

You could have also included Lee in your assessment of the players in midfield and their weaknesses; he's way below his previous standards. Another worrying aspect is that we are still relying on these same 3 midfielders that hit the heights 3 years ago. 

Lee was poor on Saturday.

For me it was the first time season he hasn’t looked like he is on his way back.

The reason I didn’t include him is I think the role he plays is quite clear. 

I haven’t seen enough of Luongo to say who he would replace , none of the 3 are irreplaceable, anything but, but he needs to start tonight and stake a claim. 

Guest LittleG
12 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Lee was poor on Saturday.

For me it was the first time season he hasn’t looked like he is on his way back.

The reason I didn’t include him is I think the role he plays is quite clear. 

I haven’t seen enough of Luongo to say who he would replace , none of the 3 are irreplaceable, anything but, but he needs to start tonight and stake a claim. 

It's all about opinions but from my point of view I'm not sure Luongo could replace Hutch as the DM ( even though Hutch is like a 3rd CB), not sure he could replace BB as the creative MF ( BB just needs to be told to play 20 yrds further up the pitch) but from the cameo appearances he's made I think he could replace Lee. He seems to like to get forward and play positively. Hope he takes his chance tonight if he plays.