European Football Official Thread 2019/20

There is quite a rebuild to be done there. 

Assume Ake will partner Laporte, but you will need another as the other options aren't good enough. 

David Silva moving on is massive and Aguero isn't getting any younger. 

Pep has thrown this away tonight. Yes, big miss from Sterling and poor goalkeeping from the the normally reliable, Ederson but that starting line up was an absolute disgrace. Not only the shape of the team has been changed but he’s played rodri, gundogan and Fernandinho who are all defensive minded players. That negative mindset has cost City tonight and I’m not sure whether he has over-thinked his team selection or he’s been trying to be too clever, I don’t know. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

There is quite a rebuild to be done there. 

Assume Ake will partner Laporte, but you will need another as the other options aren't good enough. 

David Silva moving on is massive and Aguero isn't getting any younger. 

Forgot they signed Ake.

Decent player, but no the player to solve their defensive issues. They need a leader at the back. I don't see Ake or Laporte as a leader.

Should have gone for De Ligt before Juve did. Young and showing great leadership qualities. Would set you up for the next 10 years if he continues to progress (I'll admit to not seeing much, if any of Italian football, so not sure how he's doing at Juve)

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Nah, I reckon they would. 

I dunno about that, he's improved the stature of the club in that they're a team of team players that work hard rather than an overpaid brilliant on their day but erratic behaviour bunch than before, but for things won and how close they have to winning the CL he's a let down. I think they should move on now.

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I dunno about that, he's improved the stature of the club in that they're a team of team players that work hard rather than an overpaid brilliant on their day but erratic behaviour bunch than before, but for things won and how close they have to winning the CL he's a let down. I think they should move on now.

He's won a host of domestic trophies though. 

Won a domestic treble last season and won back to back leagues too. 

Europe is the ultimate barometer, but it is knock out football at the end of the day. Some teams are better at that than others. Heck, Real won three out of four, despite not being all that great in their own domestic league. 

As Scram says, I think part of the problem is City are in a period of transition. Only Aguero remains from the original title winners and they are clearly struggling to replace the likes of Kompany and I'd imagine will have similar issues with David Silva now leaving. 

Just now, SiJ said:

He's won a host of domestic trophies though. 

Won a domestic treble last season and won back to back leagues too. 

Europe is the ultimate barometer, but it is knock out football at the end of the day. Some teams are better at that than others. Heck, Real won three out of four, despite not being all that great in their own domestic league. 

As Scram says, I think part of the problem is City are in a period of transition. Only Aguero remains from the original title winners and they are clearly struggling to replace the likes of Kompany and I'd imagine will have similar issues with David Silva now leaving. 

I don't get the argument, their players are much better than anything Lyon have got, whether they're in a transitory period is irrelevant for me, though Silva and aguero are on their way out the rest of the squad are a good age. Silva is already replaced so essentially they only need a better striker the Jesus and a new centre half and they easily have the best squad in the league and probably the best in Europe

Bad line up choice from Pep.

Relied solely on De Bruyne for creativity, and apart from his goal, had an off game. 

He'll still be at Man City next season, any other top European club he'd be out of the door tbh. No CL final for him in 9 years.

Lyon were distinctly average tonight, which showed how poor City were. Can't see them giving any of the other teams in the competition a game, pretty much Bayern's to lose. 

3 hours ago, Putney said:

I know it’s a small sample size but I really like the single game knockouts. I wouldn’t necessarily get rid of the two legged ties as there is something fantastic about seeing a team come back and win but this is good fun.

You mean like it used to be before UEFA and the TV companies went for their pound of flesh

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 442 said:

Why?

Not aimed at me I know, but I think he’s overrated. Not exactly a flat track bully but I don’t think he delivers enough in the biggest games (granted, he had a good game yesterday, that miss notwithstanding). He is notably poor every time they play Liverpool for example, and is yet to score against Man U either.

16 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's overrated imo, for the money he will be on and what he has spent he has done nothing that you wouldnt expect. Put it this way if city could go back four years and know Guardiola would win 2/4 PL, 1 FA cup, loads of league cups but most importantly for them no CL, they would not hire him

Not as easy as that is it. 

Juve have walked Serie A for a decade and have been trying to build for their first CL this century but if anything are getting further away, other teams put all their focus on the CL - Real Madrid, PSG.

Barcelona haven't hit the heights they had when he was in charge.

Yes the owners at City want the CL but they have no divine right, the football they have played under Pep has been a joy to watch at times, record points, trebles. 

Be careful what you wish for if any City fans want Pep replaced.

13 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

You mean like it used to be before UEFA and the TV companies went for their pound of flesh

When was the last time the latter stages of the European Cup weren't played over 2 legs?