European Football Official Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, WatfordOwl said:

If only they had a goalscorer...........oh wait they did.

Sevilla's defence was immense, but Man U ran out of ideas once Sevilla got men behind the ball.

Classic European performance from Sevilla, deserve to be in the final. 

Exactly and Sevilla had the Moroccan Leon Clarke up top and still won. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, scram said:

Man u won't do anything until they realise they wasted £70m on a semi mobile doughnut at centre back and replace with a REAL high quality defender.  One who leads a well ala Ferdinand, Stam or Vidic

Of course it is not all down to Maguire but the huge money signings need to deliver

He's rank

I agree. But it’s weird how Maguire has made pundits’ team of the season. Partly due to a Man U bias, but also indicative of the paucity of decent defenders around.

Maguire is marginally - and only marginally - better than the laughably awful John Stones

Sure they can pick a pass now and then - unfortunately they are hopeless defenders

Every good team has defenders who can defend

Look at Sevilla's 2nd goal - Lindeloff was coated for it - but he was doing his job - what the absolute f*ck was Maguire doing?

He got drawn across the penalty box for what? There was no danger in that area, there was nop player mark, there were no opposition players to cover 

All he did was drag is co-defenders across with him - which was why Lindelof was out of position - because he was keeping his defensive line intact according to the positioning of his wayward defensive partner

Maguire at best is a lower level premier league CB

Man U need to wise up

Swiftly

Man U have no depth.

The first XI is decent enough and there is certainly something there with Bruno, Pogba and the front three.

Still not overly sure on the defence. Ironically, I think you need to bring in someone world class to partner the 80 million pound CB...he's decent, but that's about it. 

Sevilla defended very well. Extremely dogged performance and clinical at the other end. Europa League is kinda their tournament. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lift a 6th one.

8 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think the problem with CB for man utd is that there not actually that many good CBS about anymore. I don't follow much European football so correct me otherwise, who could they go for?

Me neither.

But apart from Van Dyjk the top clubs have all wasted a lot of on defenders who have been poor.

Aresenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City have all ended up with a defence that isn’t good enough at top level in Europe 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Me neither.

But apart from Van Dyjk the top clubs have all wasted a lot of on defenders who have been poor.

Aresenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City have all ended up with a defence that isn’t good enough at top level in Europe 

I just don't think it's a fashionable position now, you need to be some sort of God to be regarded as a top player there like Van Djik since you not only have to have the traditional defensive skills, you also have to be as good as a midfielder on the ball too. Amazingly if they have to favour one or the other, it seems top clubs go for the ball playing skills rather than actual defensive abilities

• Like 1

Maguire isn’t too bad, but he was overpriced and shouldn’t be Man U captain really - but there’s a lack of other options. 

On the back of De Bruyne being honest about City failures, it seemed strange to hear similar from Maguire - it feels like he’s only just got in the building. 

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Setien sacked.

Surprised it took so long.