Steven Fletcher

Yes I admit it that I used to give him a lot of stick. I found him to be wasteful and wanted us to have pace up front somewhere. No we have that on the wings, his all-effort win every flick on is really paying off and I give him all the credit he deserves. Tbh this qualities were most notable today when he was subbed for Rhodes who still looks really laboured. I hope he can shake it and make the most of our new pace and crossing abilities but I really worry watching him amble around even though he was only on for 20 mins. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Superb today.

What is a battle-worn 32 year old doing closing down sweepers and keepers? And successfully too.

Best thing for me today.  Last season it would have been Fletch chasing shadows on his own.  In the first half today it was him, Lee, Reach and Harris hunting in packs and they got the ball back more than once, That extra energy in the squad is priceless.  Keeps us on the front foot. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Best thing for me today.  Last season it would have been Fletch chasing shadows on his own.  In the first half today it was him, Lee, Reach and Harris hunting in packs and they got the ball back more than once, That extra energy in the squad is priceless.  Keeps us on the front foot. 

The swasp K Lee plus the natural pace of Harris and Murphy means we can really press teams in their half. 

When Bannan is back looks like Reach has a real fight on for his place... 

Wednesday, TOTL! 

Made a Believer out of me last season at home, hosting Swansea(?), overhead-kick, goal.  Somebody on Owlstalk can tell me when the last time was, that a SWFC Player did score from an overhead-kick?"  Fletcher can score from most any scenario, he's not a 20+ goal-scorer, but he'll give you 8-10-12, when it really counts, and it did count today because there were 30 minutes yet to play, plus stoppage, and Wednesday has been known to lose, on the very last kick of the match, in stoppage time.

Absolute class act and always thought so.

Took some stick on here, think mainly down to his reported wages. Yet I always thought as he was brought in on a free it’s still a bargain. Strikers like that cost millions even at the age we signed him. We just put a bit of that transfer fee onto his wages.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Yet I always thought as he was brought in on a free it’s still a bargain. Strikers like that cost millions even at the age we signed him. We just put a bit of that transfer fee onto his wages.

Good point. If the reported £30,000 a week is true, then over his three seasons here it will have cost us around £4.5M. He has been easily worth that. 

Played really well but my concern is, across the team, is goals. I’d have liked us to move in Winnall and Rhodes, and bring in a striker capable of scoring 20 - not sure Fletcher will do that. Where is our Pukki, Mitrovic, Abraham etc. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve been one of his harshest critic, mainly because of the role he was asked to play, as a lone striker My thoughts were, that the role demanded a more mobile striker Well Fletcher has become that more mobile striker

He was exactly the same last season where he was the fittest I’ve seen him.  Difference yesterday was that he had willing runners getting up in support of him. Lost count of the times I’ve watched him battle on his own against a back four / five with little help as the rest of our lot were sat too deep. 

Said in another thread that I don’t think we’ve got anyone to replace him in that role. 

4 minutes ago, Walt said:

He was exactly the same last season where he was the fittest I’ve seen him.  Difference yesterday was that he had willing runners getting up in support of him. Lost count of the times I’ve watched him battle on his own against a back four / five with little help as the rest of our lot were sat too deep. 

Said in another thread that I don’t think we’ve got anyone to replace him in that role. 

Maybe you’re right, and the pace and movement around him, created more space. The major difference for me this season, is that he is looking to get away from defenders, and not just engage them in a battle