Steven Fletcher

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I don't want him to burn out.

if fletch is unavailable what have we to fill that role?

Rhodes is clearly second choice in Bully’s eyes.

I assume Nuhiu after that for the central role.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Rhodes is clearly second choice in Bully’s eyes.

I assume Nuhiu after that for the central role.

Was it just me..or did Rhodes look a bit listless?

When he came on his closing down looked pedestrian..after Fletcher...Maybe its not his game, and he didn't really have time to get into it...Pity that half chance didn't go in.

he got a great reception when he came on...Hope that helps

On 10/08/2019 at 22:07, Salmonbones said:

Chucking him up there as a straight swap Fletcher when we are winning is almost just giving him time on the pitch to keep him fit and happy.    I couldn't see him scoring, but then I suppose we had stopped pushing forwards on the wings too towards the end so maybe i'm not giving Rhodes enough credit.

It did feel like we just chucked him on after having pulled the supply out from under him. Murphy off for Pessy a few minutes before.

Still, a really good ball to slot in Luongo.

He got a bit ****blocked by Hutch when Hutch really should have scored. Rhodes was well positioned for the same pass from Luongo that went to Hutch, Hutch should really have made a more central run, and Rhodes would have been in. Can't blame Hutch of wanting it, but it wasn't the right run. Still Rhodes was alive to get on the end of the rebound, but the defender was on top of it by then too.

He also did a decent Fletch impression, in our own half, surrounded by their players, no out ball, but shielded it and won the freekick. Smart play.

So for a 'last 10' cameo, I thought he did really well. Laid on a goal for someone else, could have scored and got us out of a sticky defensive situation.

8 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It did feel like we just chucked him on after having pulled the supply out from under him. Murphy off for Pessy a few minutes before.

He got a bit ****blocked by Hutch when Hutch really should have scored. Rhodes was well positioned for the same pass from Luongo that went to Hutch, Hutch should really have made a more central run, and Rhodes would have been in. Can't blame Hutch of wanting it, but it wasn't the right run. Still Rhodes was alive to get on the end of the rebound, but the defender was on top of it by then too.

He also did a decent Fletch impression, in our own half, surrounded by their players, no out ball, but shielded it and won the freekick. Smart play.

So for a 'last 10' cameo, I thought he did really well. Laid on a goal for someone else, could have scored and got us out of a sticky defensive situation.

Rhodes should of put the rebound away too...

would of helped if he hit the ball properly. 

58 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

When he came on his closing down looked pedestrian..after Fletcher...Maybe its not his game, and he didn't really have time to get into it...Pity that half chance didn't go in.

I thought he was extremely effective. Sharp, great awareness and movement.

Would have made our third goal but for a very good save.

15 hours ago, sheffwed1 said:

Rhodes should of put the rebound away too...

would of helped if he hit the ball properly. 

There was quite a lot of spin on that ball after the save, so was always going to be hard to take on the volley and he didn't have time to bring it down.

I think you're a being a tad harsh in term of what players "should" score. Aguero's probably getting pelters off you most weeks.

47 minutes ago, cookeh said:

There was quite a lot of spin on that ball after the save, so was always going to be hard to take on the volley and he didn't have time to bring it down.

I think you're a being a tad harsh in term of what players "should" score. Aguero's probably getting pelters off you most weeks.

At championship level it was a very good chance. 

There was time for a touch if there was “a lot of spin” on the ball. 

On 11/08/2019 at 00:55, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Was bang average at best for the first couple of years here. But since the arrival of Bruce, he’s been very much the player we thought we were getting. 

Seems fitter and more confident. I think the faith shown in him by Bruce was exactly what he needed.

Which seasons was he bang average?

16/17 when he missed out as top scorer by one goal, scored at a better rate than anyone, dragged us almost single-handed into the Play-Offs and almost got us into the final?

or

17/18 when he and Hooper forged a partnership in which they scored at almost a goal per game, before Fletcher’s season ended early December from injury?

18 hours ago, cookeh said:

he should have buried that chance, look at it again.  Hooper would have just put his foot through it and roofed it, Rhodes miskicked it, half volley, right foot.  8m says should do better.

23 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

he should have buried that chance, look at it again.  Hooper would have just put his foot through it and roofed it, Rhodes miskicked it, half volley, right foot.  8m says should do better.

It's on target.. it's blocked by the defender..

Oh.. and all hail the mythical hooper. :ghoulguy:

If you sign Fletcher for his all round play you have a great player if it's purely as a goal machine it won't happen.

We ended up relying on him for goals far more than we should have usually as his strike partners were injured or in FF's case banned.

19 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

He's just not as fit, strong or as athletic as Fletcher and never will be.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

It's on target.. it's blocked by the defender..

Oh.. and all hail the mythical hooper. :ghoulguy:

I think you've been wearing the Rhodes tinted 'messiah' specs again.  If he strikes it cleanly, he's got half of the unguarded net to hit.  It's not even a difficult angle, but he miscues it towards the opposite bottom corner where there is a covering defender and keeper.  You'd score it, I'd score it.  He gets paid 2.5m a year.  As said.  He's just not good enough.  Winnall def sticks that away.

Cows arris.jpg

• Haha 2