Steven Fletcher

On 13/08/2019 at 15:19, DuttyTeabags said:

I think you've been wearing the Rhodes tinted 'messiah' specs again.  If he strikes it cleanly, he's got half of the unguarded net to hit.  It's not even a difficult angle, but he miscues it towards the opposite bottom corner where there is a covering defender and keeper.  You'd score it, I'd score it.  He gets paid 2.5m a year.  As said.  He's just not good enough.  Winnall def sticks that away.

Cows arris.jpg

That is misleading to the point of untruthfulness..

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 02:19, DuttyTeabags said:

I think you've been wearing the Rhodes tinted 'messiah' specs again.  If he strikes it cleanly, he's got half of the unguarded net to hit.  It's not even a difficult angle, but he miscues it towards the opposite bottom corner where there is a covering defender and keeper.  You'd score it, I'd score it.  He gets paid 2.5m a year.  As said.  He's just not good enough.  Winnall def sticks that away.

Cows arris.jpg

Even the picture you've used to try and prove your point, where the ball is yet to drop, shows that the defender is always getting across to block that.

As a centre back I'd be kicking myself if I wasnt in the way of that shot, from the positions shown.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 11/08/2019 at 19:47, Walt said:

Even with a fit and scoring Rhodes I just can't see him doing the job that Fletcher does. He may well benefit from having wingers in the side but for those wingers to work someone needs to hold the ball up and do the dirty work for this system to work. With the best will in the world Rhodes isn't going tp do that as he can not battle with centre halves, his hold up play is poor and his work when out of possession is a major flaw. He's made a career out of being 'selfish' in a good way meaning that his goals allow him to just get on with what he does / did? best - score goals and not contribute much else.

It looks like he is the first choice to replace Fletcher so it will be interesting to see how we adapt to accommodate him (I think it will have to be us adapting as he can't imo). The most obvious choice to replace Fltetcher would have been Nuhiu imo but then he lacks the mobility, so you are left with Winnall. Maye a fit Winnall back when we signed him cold have done the job as I seem to remember an energetic all action type of player when he was at Barnsley and I think he played that role in a 433?

Nuhiu is the replacement in this formation for Fletcher not Rhodes.

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Nuhiu is the replacement in this formation for Fletcher not Rhodes.

From his substitution and his press statements it appears Bully disagrees. 

I think Rhodes looks more like a 442 striker, but I’m looking forward to seeing what a goal-poacher does with the service he’s likely to get from our flying wingers in our 433.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I think Rhodes looks more like a 442 striker, but I’m looking forward to seeing what a goal-poacher does with the service he’s likely to get from our flying wingers in our 433.

I think we’ll see vs Luton. 

On 10/08/2019 at 23:40, NYCOWL said:

I never understood all the “stealing a wage” stuff was leveled at him on here. He couldn’t help being injured.

Hes a great pro.

Agreed, some of the stuff spouted when he was injured during CC’s latter days was utter nonsense.

He is a Prem std striker and proves it when fully fit.

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think we’ll see vs Luton. 

If Carling did early seasons it would be:-

Saturday - Millwall - Fletcher

Tuesday - Luton - Rhodes

Saturday - Preston - Fletcher

Saturday - QPR - Fletcher

TWO WEEK INTERNATIONAL BREAK. Recharge batteries and limbs while admiring the league table on the massage table.

With Rhodes scoring v Luton and one from the bench in another game.

And I think you are right. Carlos flogged Hooper and Fletcher to early injury. From what we have seen so far Bully will be more intelligent and long-term.

Hope so.

Just now, Holmowl said:

If Carling did early seasons it would be:-

Saturday - Millwall - Fletcher

Tuesday - Luton - Rhodes

Saturday - Preston - Fletcher

Saturday - QPR - Fletcher

TWO WEEK INTERNATIONAL BREAK. Recharge batteries and limbs while admiring the league table on the massage table.

With Rhodes scoring v Luton and one from the bench in another game.

And I think you are right. Carlos flogged Hooper and Fletcher to early injury. From what we have seen so far Bully will be more intelligent and long-term.

Hope so.

I hope so too, not just Fletch but Lee, Hutch, Harris and Moses all have dubious injury records so need to take advantage of having the strongest squad depth I can remember. 

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I hope so too, not just Fletch but Lee, Hutch, Harris and Moses all have dubious injury records so need to take advantage of having the strongest squad depth I can remember. 

And that’s a big part of management. Does Bully have the skill to first see it, then implement it? I’m optimistic that he does.

When Jesus comes in for Aguero it’s not a dropping. It’s resting a prize asset to get the best out of him over a long season.

There you go Fletch. Have that one on me. An analogy comparing you with Sergio Aguero

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Those wingers rarely get a look in if the ball is not sticking up front which it won't do imo if Rhodes is playing that role. So the service will not be anything like when Fletcher is playing and the 'wingers' are up with play. You also lose Fletcher's off the ball defensive work big time, something that Rhodes lacks.

So if I am right we will have to find a different way of playing when Fletcher is out and Rhodes is the stand in, and it appears that Rhodes is the first choice. For me he'd be the last choice to play that role from the strikers we've got at the club.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He May well do but in my opinion Rhodes will be useless in this system. Come to think about it, I’m not sure what system suits him.