Steven Fletcher

3 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

He's a wet lettuce! My nan could push him off the ball. 

He does look fitter though and has got a nice suntan! 

...and she's been dead for years. Are usually the next few words.

*Apologies to Nannan Bigblueowl and her family for any upset caused.

5 hours ago, vulva said:

Played really well but my concern is, across the team, is goals. 

Signs are good though, 5 goals from 5 different players, 2 from centre forwards, 2 from wingers and 1 from central midfield. Plenty of chances being created as well. 

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Yes he was hungry. Played a delightful ball thru for Luongo with almost his first touch.

Would have been the cherry on the icing of the cake if Rhodes had scored. What a difference to our season if he and Fletch become pretty much inter-changeable.

your right pal deffo the 2 iw we play 2 up top,miles in front of our other strikers now imo

Oh and on Fletcher - fantastic centre forward play. He’s got the heart of a lion and as others have said his technical skills are often underestimated. I suspect defenders don’t look forward to facing him especially now he has willing runners in support. 

5 hours ago, vulva said:

Played really well but my concern is, across the team, is goals. I’d have liked us to move in Winnall and Rhodes, and bring in a striker capable of scoring 20 - not sure Fletcher will do that. Where is our Pukki, Mitrovic, Abraham etc. 

If we carry on scoring at the same rate, we'll get 115 this season.

54 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Got to feel for Fletchers new hair transplant though. Can’t be easy to bed a new barnet in with all that ball heading

I think he has got his new hair follicles from an 18 year old, he looks so much fitter than when he joined us 3 years ago.

He will really benefit from the new attacking policy, in the past teams could put 2 men on him knowing we had very few other attacking options. With the new system and players they will not be able to do that.

15 hours ago, Beholder said:

Also thought Rhodes looked excellent when he came on. 

Fitter and stronger than I remember

Could (arguably should) have had a goal and an assist. Not bad for a 20 minute cameo. Love to see him knock one in soon to bolster his confidence.

For as long as it's getting results, however, Fletch has to remain first choice.

16 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

He’s hugely under rated by loads of our fans. At this level absolutely top notch striker. 

Whenever he’s had a run of games he’s contributed to goals (scoring or assisting). I remember one run where he got a goal or assist six games on the bounce in his first season including that long range effort at Blackburn and people were still slating him. 

Would walk into most Championship teams. 

I think you are talking about the second play off qualification when he dragged us into the playoffs single handedly. 

Top quality centre forward, all he needed was pace on both flanks to get beyond his build up play. Loves a decent cross too. I'd like to see Rhodes do well, but I also want Fletcher to stay fit as he'll thrive with the new wingers. 

3 minutes ago, trev said:

IF he stays fit for 30 games he will score 12-15.

He will get so many chances now we have wingers and Lee and Bannan in more advanced roles.

May even get twenty with the better quality on the wings, plus plenty of assists from holding up the play and good distribution. 

Just now, Ozymandias Owl said:

May even get twenty with the better quality on the wings, plus plenty of assists from holding up the play and good distribution. 

If he scores 20 from 30 games I'll be amazed tbh.

I say 30 games as he will be out injured...he plays in such a way that injuries are inevitable.

I've always been a fan of Fletcher and with the way we play now, I actually think he has become arguably our most important player. 

I wouldn't be confident that Rhodes, Nuhiu or Winnall could play that centre forward role anywhere near as well as he does, whereas for every other position on the pitch we have very capable alternatives. 

As well as Harris and Lee played yesterday, Fletch was man of the match for me. 

Last summer it was rumoured he was going to leave to go and play in Greece, but his wage demands saw the move fall through. At the time I was disappointed - I felt we could do with him off the wage bill as he wasn't really featuring in the first team.

He's completely proved me wrong - he is a vital part of the team who always gives 100%. Hopefully he can have a great season...