Tough choice with Bannan

2 minutes ago, Spookone said:

I understand a winning team keeps its place but Westwood has to start and would be amazed if he doesn’t.

Id be amazed id Dawson, didnt know this and wassnt aware of his current role. 

If fit Westwood plays, hes the senior keeper. 

We now got a squad good enough to take an approach of play our best team and let the opposition worry about us. The player who has the least firm atm is reach. Bannan should replace him. Good player can play any system. Dawson deserves another game for me. Don't think anyone should walk back into a winning team unless there is a player who has room for improvement. Never made any player any worse having to fight for your place in the team. This has to apply to ever everyone in the squad. No exception 

Bullen's got a lot of tough calls to make in midfield. The three we played yesterday were all outstanding, plus Luongo looked brilliant in his admittedly short cameo.

On his day, Bannan is probably the best of the lot, his energy, creativity and drive are brilliant. The only criticism I'd have of him is that he's not the most disciplined footballer, you can try and set out your midfield in whatever shape you like but Bannan's always going to go searching for the ball.

That's great when he's chasing down a nervous opposition defender who then gives the ball away, it's not so great when he's dropping back 30 yards to collect the ball from the back four and trying to run the game from there as he did under Jos and later in Carlos' spell.

In the name of keeping a winning team together, I'd keep this three in tact for Millwall, but have both Bannan and Luongo ready to come on from early in the second half if the game needs it. The thought of Bannan feeling like he's got a point to prove would terrify me if I was going up against him.

Bannan getting his place back straight away reverts us back to the last 3 season..... Not getting promoted.

We have a good squad and yesterday showed we have some top midfielders.

Bannan will get his shot like everyone else. It's so important than we don't rely on "fan favourites", but actual ability and form, which includes fitness. He's currently not fit, he has to go to the back of the queue.

After yesterday's game if anyone is going to replace Reach it's got to be Luongo. 

And to be honest Pelupessy played well, but you lot won't want to hear that.

Be a test for bullen this. A good manager whilst bringing his no one keeper back is the right thing to do, changing the outfield after such a great performance on Saturday sends out a poor message to the squad. I know he's a fan's favourite and does lovely pirouettes, but he also slows us down. I think we saw on Saturday a more direct and quick tempo, he's too good not to get back into the team I just think he needs to wait his turn as most players would accept after such a good result and performance. Saturday was the first time that I've thought we have something special since Carlos season 1. 

Exciting end to end footy, a real buzz in the crowd and smiles on faces. 

• Like 1

Our team finally has quality in depth

No one should be guaranteed a starting spot

Be it Westwood lees bannan  (favourites)

If your aren't performing then you don't start ,simple as that 

Reach is walking a fine line 

No way should Murphy or Harris be dropped so reach can play there 

He either steps up his game like Harris and Murphy have shown or he warms the bench cus Lee hutch bannan and the Aussie have shown more so far 

42 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Bannan getting his place back straight away reverts us back to the last 3 season..... Not getting promoted.

We have a good squad and yesterday showed we have some top midfielders.

Bannan will get his shot like everyone else. It's so important than we don't rely on "fan favourites", but actual ability and form, which includes fitness. He's currently not fit, he has to go to the back of the queue.

After yesterday's game if anyone is going to replace Reach it's got to be Luongo. 

And to be honest Pelupessy played well, but you lot won't want to hear that.

We didn’t miss out on promotion because of Bannan. We missed out because others weren’t as good, and because of some management issues.

2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

We now got a squad good enough to take an approach of play our best team and let the opposition worry about us. The player who has the least firm atm is reach. Bannan should replace him. Good player can play any system. Dawson deserves another game for me. Don't think anyone should walk back into a winning team unless there is a player who has room for improvement. Never made any player any worse having to fight for your place in the team. This has to apply to ever everyone in the squad. No exception 

Dawson’s distribution was poor, and he knew nothing about the point blank save, it just hit him.

This worries me against a decent team who actually attack our goal.

Westwood is a class above, we need to maintain the excellent start and have a far better chance with him playing.

4 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Dawson’s distribution was poor, and he knew nothing about the point blank save, it just hit him.

Westwood is a class above, we need to maintain the excellent start and have a far better chance with him playing.

You do realise that at that range a goalkeepers job is to make himself big and hope the ball hits him. This is exactly what he did, it was very good goalkeeping and a great save.

Of course Westwood will come back in.

Just now, oldishowl said:

You do realise that at that range a goalkeepers job is to make himself big and hope the ball hits him. This is exactly what he did, it was very good goalkeeping and a great save.

Of course Westwood will come back in.

I don’t think he knew anything about it - in fact he looked mighty surprised :PhotoEditor_20190811_181128351:

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We didn’t miss out on promotion because of Bannan. We missed out because others weren’t as good, and because of some management issues.

Bannan is just an example of my point.

That third season under Carlos where injuries became a problem, Carlos was criticized because his "fringe" players weren't able to step up.

This happens for one of two reasons, they aren't good enough, OR, when they are good enough they still don't get a chance of a first team spot and when the time comes (when every Tom wee pipe and Harry are injured) they aren't up for it.

Lopez should have started in that final instead of Hutchinson.

We just beat Barnsley convincingly, without Bannan, who is injured. Fitness has been a big problem for us. First and foremost, play players who are fit.

We brought in subs who showed like they aren't here to fill numbers but want a starting place.

Starting Bannan, next match, despite if we win or not, does not send out the right message, unless it's specifically tactical and he is given a specific job that others can't do and that reason is explained to those who have a shout at a starting position.

I would normally advocate never changing a winning start.  However I would take the opportunity to rest KL at Millwall and Sam against Luton.  Also think only one of Harris or Murphy will start next Saturday.

I wouldn’t put bannan back in.

our play has become a bit predictable with him playing - I would swap keepers for Saturday but that’s all.

I'd imagine we wont use both speed options in Harris and Murphy at Millwall so that we have one of them fresh for Luton on Tuesday. Which means we might see Reach out wide again. Doubt we'll see Lee and Hutch in both either so plenty of chance for others to step in. 

Nice problems to have for a change

16 hours ago, Spookone said:

Rules need to be installed for everyone. I get your point. Eventually the benefits far outweigh the odd times a superstar has to make way for a few games. It's important to have competition for every position. This brings best from everyone. Dawson doesn't deserve dropping. If he keeps his place he will try and lift his game making it harder for him to be dropped. It's a natural reaction from every player when they have genuine competition for their place. Also if Dawson is dropped for Millwall the next time Westwood is unavailable Dawson has no incentive to raise his game again if he knows that no matter how he plays he will be dropped when kW available again. If Dawson does not impress with his chance in 1st team nobody has any complaints when he replaced. 

I not saying Dawson the better keeper or I got a grudge against kW. Its a long season and we want the best from the squad. We have a big strong squad and genuine competition for places. Now is the time to employ a system of keeping players at their best. This system benefits everyone and has to be excersised completey with everyone with no exceptions. Otherwise bad feeling and favouritism is likely to be felt. Professional or not human beings cannot change the mentality of natural human emotions. Regardless of what they may say in interviews. The team has to be rotated through the season and this will allow it to happen naturally. 

Another positive is if kW has to fight for the shirt back he will be less likely to make a silly decision to rush out of the box and foul the opposition again. A 1 match ban for the foul and sending off is the leagues punishment. A player of his experience should have made a better decision in those circumstances. A few more games helps install the right mentality for any future instances to make a better decision. Other players also will think about consequences before rash decision making.