Tough choice with Bannan

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

He looks like the man for the high press.. very positive and direct..

He looked like he could rampage.

I love a rampaging midfielder. 

Who was the last rampaging midfielder we had?

I like Bannan.  But it was great to see us play today without him. Lee, Hutch, Luongo and Joey all offered something in that position and we played with a greater freedom, I often feel like we can't shoot at goal until Barry has touched the ball, we have to give it to Bannan.  

He shouldn't be a guaranteed starter, nobody should, but if we get to a point where he's warming the bench, this season is going to be really good. 

4 hours ago, 33 said:

Nice one to have but our best player of last season not sure of a start next game after that performance?

Difficult one for Bullen.

Personally I'd stay with today's midfield and Bazza gets a spot on the bench.

For me it builds team ethos and also everybody knows their place not guaranteed.

Lose your place and you have to fight to get it back.

All good for team and winning culture.

Always been a fan of win and keep your place. Particularly outfield.

That said even Dawson made a strong shout today too.

Bodes well for the season

Bannan in Reach out... 

Murphy and Harris are such great outlets it will ensure Millwall have to defend deep giving our midfield space to operate... 

Sod Mwall, attack, attack, attack

10 hours ago, Dot said:

Dawson would be straight out for me....his distribution is shocking

The wingers were getting in acres of space, I think Bannan would be pinging the ball to them all the time

Too small to play in goal tho. :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Bullen talked about horses for courses in a press conference prior to season beginning.. Millwall are hurling ball into box at every opportunity and playing physical game. therefore this is a game where  the selection of a team to meet the challenge is required. We have to deal with the lump that is Matt Smith. hink you also need out ball available to keep them pinned back. It is not an easy decision but would not change from basic outline we have been using.

1 hour ago, Night King said:

I thought Reach played well yesterday. I think that’s his best position driving through midfield. Great to have 5 or 6 players who are able to play that central midfield role. 

I think he is far better as a winger but he is a capable CM and I thought it a very wise call by Bullen to put him in for Bannan.

Yes he had a good game. Put Barnsley under lots of pressure.

7 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

Did you not see Borner today? Twice the centre half that Hutch is.

That is obviously a matter of opinion, he did ok yesterday and the week before, but the fact that we were trying hard to sign Hector suggests that that area needs improvement 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

That is obviously a matter of opinion, he did ok yesterday and the week before, but the fact that we were trying hard to sign Hector suggests that that area needs improvement 

The will get an aerial work out next week, that’s for sure

12 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Not too sure as wasn't able to see today, but how is Murphy off the ball? 

Tricky away game at Millwall would be good to have Murphy and Harris to counter, but if we need to be a little more Solid and move Reach higher then understandable too 

or we may choose to adopt jos' set up and go without any attackers.

12 hours ago, 33 said:

Nice one to have but our best player of last season not sure of a start next game after that performance?

Difficult one for Bullen.

Personally I'd stay with today's midfield and Bazza gets a spot on the bench.

For me it builds team ethos and also everybody knows their place not guaranteed.

Lose your place and you have to fight to get it back.

All good for team and winning culture.

Always been a fan of win and keep your place. Particularly outfield.

That said even Dawson made a strong shout today too.

Bodes well for the season

still say we missed him big time yesterday

Reach was wandering around like a man lost

Bannan straight back in. We missed his composure in the first half especially. Reach can cover that roll to some degree but he’s not the best option if Bannan is fit. I’m a big fan of Reach but he’s a touch out of sorts at the moment, not bad, just not his best. A little bit of pressure on Reach is a good thing and we have that competition for places in several positions now.

Edited by Morepork

12 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Bannan often looks for Fletcher first - swinging it over their back 4. 

If Bannan comes back in, I’d just want him to supply the wingers - don’t overdo it. 

NO! all options must be open to be exploited.

we've had enough of the dogma anchor.

19 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

What's not to say Hector was a replacement for Lees. From what I have seen I rate Borner above Lees, obviously early days. 

I was taking issue with the fact that you would chose to play Hutch out of position at centre half over Borner, which is crazy.

6 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

What's not to say Hector was a replacement for Lees. From what I have seen I rate Borner above Lees, obviously early days. 

I was taking issue with the fact that you would chose to play Hutch out of position at centre half over Borner, which is crazy.

What has Hutch done wrong when he has played centre half that makes you think that its crazy ? 

And you Rate Borner above Lees ? how do you come to that decision after 2 games in which Lees has been solid as a rock ?