Tough choice with Bannan

We have 2 games in a short period of time

Keep the midfield 3 as it was yesterday for the Millwall game giving Bannan a little extra time to recover

for Luton rest Hutch, Reach and Lee. Bring in Bannan, Luongo and Pelupessy

last thing we need to do is risk Bannan if he’s not completely 110% fit

Just now, chizumgeorge said:

You would have thought so , but some on here are saying dont change a winning team/ leave Bannan on bench! I would always play Bannan

It's all very subjective, it's nice problem for Bullen to have, unless Bullen sees a weakness in Millwall side where he believes Bannan would exploit.

I for one would keep the same team, Bannan will rise to the occasion and once back in the team will make it difficult for Bullen to drop him.

But would be more than happy if Bannan did play, highlights that we have plenty of quality.

• Like 1

Horses for courses...……..Iorfa starts against Millwall away for me, and we need to be really sensible with Hutch and Lee,s workloads as we can see what a difference they make when fully fit.

Also hope FF takes up the challenge of winning a shirt, how good would it be to see him firing on all cylinders again.

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

I find it staggering that anyone can suggest not picking Bannan when he’s available.

He’s an absolute Rolls Royce of a player and a fabulous footballer.

100% that he's a Rolls Royce of a player but that doesn't guarantee him a place in the side.  We now have more options, I don't think we missed him yesterday.  

Good idea to play Iorfa at Millwall but has to be at right back instead of Obujado, you don’t change the centre of defence unless you have to. His height would help a lot and they are similar defensively.

If Bannan is fit he will play with Reach going out wide instead of Murphy.

If Luongo is 100% fit then play him instead of Lee for this game to make us more robust and to rest Lee.

22 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I find it staggering that anyone can suggest not picking Bannan when he’s available.

He’s an absolute Rolls Royce of a player and a fabulous footballer.

For me he has long outshone FF as our most skilful player and proved far more robust than Lee who is his only serious contender for best player at the club. 

That said, when he is forced deep

and the team is pressed intensely, the net effect can be for us to become slower and we can have games like Pigs and Leeds away last year when we can’t actually get a foothold in the game.

In short, just like Pep/ Klopp will sometimes vary things depending on circumstances, squad rotation, Bullen is in the happy position of actually being able to manage the team rather than be desperate to play the same XI which proved to be the demise of CC and the near ruination of the careers of Hutch Hoops Lee etc. 

• Like 1

Bannan for Reach, Westwood for Dawson.

I know Bullen said Lee might need fewer games, but he hardly looked like he was struggling at anytime during yesterdays game, in fact he looked stronger later on.

Reach through the middle rarely works, its not his fault, but his wider position is now a competition for places.

Lets hope the players who are out of the first team see it how the fans see it, all in this together cos its a vital season for the club.

We have options we have virtually never had before, the pace in the side is frightening

20 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Good idea to play Iorfa at Millwall but has to be at right back instead of Obujado, you don’t change the centre of defence unless you have to. His height would help a lot and they are similar defensively.

If Bannan is fit he will play with Reach going out wide instead of Murphy.

If Luongo is 100% fit then play him instead of Lee for this game to make us more robust and to rest Lee.

Agree I would probably go for the below starting line up at millwall.  Make the midfield a bit more combative and bring in Iorfa’s height at the back. Let the two pacy players upfront play on the counter 

Harris   Fletcher   Murphy 

Bannan   Hutch.  Luongo 

Palmer  Borner   Lees   Iorfa 

Westwood 

I would put Westwood back in without hesitation.

A pretty simple conversation to be had with Dawson over the matter. Kid did well but knows he is No.2.

Bannan though would be different. There is the team morale element and it would be pretty difficult saying to Lee or Hutch who were both superb that they had to make way.

Harris or Murphy? Again a difficult discussion as both played really well. Might also mean Lee goes out right and lose that dynamism up and down the middle of the park.

Think Reach is the one to look over his shoulder but whilst not his best game he was in a slightly different role and covered a lot of ground and worked hard.

Would Bannan fill that advanced midfield role better? Think he probably would if the game was about bringing Murphy and Harris also Lee into the game to support Fletcher.

As a no. 10 then think Reach a better option but my view is we would be too one dimensional as it would be big boot to Fletch or wide to the new boys.

Think Bannan in the hole gives more options.

So... my view is Bannan bench from a team morale and ethic perspective but at HT if it needs it then Reach may be the one if he not better than yesterday.

FFS we now know how Guardiola struggles every weekend.

:biggrin::rolleyes:

Edited by 33
Love a bit of Bully really

Not sure about the middle 3 but Harris and Murphy must start wide. Barnsley couldn't handle them as they basically played as wingers so one was always free, then when they shifted to close the free one down the other side was wide open.

Not sure how this is all going to play out against the Leeds and westbrom of the league but against the mid and bottom teams this is going to kill teams.

Reach ought to know that his first two games have been lower than his standard.

And though Bannan was far from his best at Reading, he still had a good game and got an assist.

Dropping Reach for Bannan is perfectly consistent with the principle of picking players that maintain their standards of performance, and dropping them and giving someone else a go when those standards drop.

Furthermore, though it was less apparent in the second half, we really struggled to retain possession in the first half yesterday. To some degree, this issue was offset by our workrate and pressing game (an absolute joy to see), but our inability to keep the ball yesterday isn't in itself a good thing and against better opposition, I'm sure, would've been fatal.

4 hours ago, Night King said:

I thought Reach played well yesterday. I think that’s his best position driving through midfield. Great to have 5 or 6 players who are able to play that central midfield role. 

Agree the number of times Reach broke forward into the box to support the attack was great too see and something that Bannan doesn't do enough of.

Having said that prefer Bannan as he has better vision and decision making.

What Doesn't seam to work is Bannan and Reach working together in midfield.

7 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

We have 2 games in a short period of time

Keep the midfield 3 as it was yesterday for the Millwall game giving Bannan a little extra time to recover

for Luton rest Hutch, Reach and Lee. Bring in Bannan, Luongo and Pelupessy

last thing we need to do is risk Bannan if he’s not completely 110% fit

With the players available at the minute pelupessy should be nowhere near the first 11!

If he's fit, I'd bring him in for Reach. To be fair to Reach, he played the first match in a role he's rarely played for us - wide right in a front three - and then shifted position again yesterday. I think he sometimes suffers from having his position moved around so much. He's still a quality player but in a 4-3-3 I think Murphy or Forestieri offer more in attack and Bannan is more suited to the midfield. 

22 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Not to everybody's taste this but we always play better without Bannan, no matter who the manager is. 

Have to agree. I love Bannan but am not blinkered to the fact that he is very one-footed and any opposition player who nullifies his left footed passing ability has him taped. Yesterday proved in some degree that we have good options when he is not available/sitting on the bench.

22 hours ago, Dan™ said:

Going by Bullen's post-match press conference Bannan will be on the bench for Millwall, assuming he's still picking the team next week.

Same goes for Westwood, I assume.

I understand a winning team keeps its place but Westwood has to start and would be amazed if he doesn’t.