Tough choice with Bannan

4 hours ago, superowls23 said:

I'd imagine we wont use both speed options in Harris and Murphy at Millwall so that we have one of them fresh for Luton on Tuesday. Which means we might see Reach out wide again. Doubt we'll see Lee and Hutch in both either so plenty of chance for others to step in. 

Nice problems to have for a change

Why not use our 2 new speedster. The quick counter attack is just what we need away from home. Neither Harris or Jacob deserves dropping. Resting kl is a good idea. He needs more time to be able to play with out fully recovering after matches. He too important for the team to risk after such a long term injury. Hutch also may need to rest with his past injury record in mind. Both will be missed. But not as much as losing them for games with injury. We have competitive players to replace them. Hopefully they will putting 110% to keep the shirt. All positives that come from having a strong squad. Managing players fitness individually is key for our success this season with these players we know the difference they make to our team when they are fit and available. 

Also last few seasons home and away our lack of pace was a major downfall. Now we have fast wide players we need to utilise them. The form Harris has shown will be a major headache for Millwall. I sure they would not believe their luck if he not starting. 

Edited by hirstys_achilles
Grammar

35 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Rules need to be installed for everyone. I get your point. Eventually the benefits far outweigh the odd times a superstar has to make way for a few games. It's important......

I think it’s a bit different with Goalkeepers though. Westwood is our number one and should come back in. Dawson has cemented his place as second keeper though. He will get any cup games, and be called upon whenever Westwood isn’t available.

Dawson isn’t losing his place, he’s simply keeping his place as first choice backup. That’s his position to lose now, he’s got two keepers pushing him for that position in the squad in Wildsmith and Jones.

1 minute ago, JackSWFC said:

I think it’s a bit different with Goalkeepers though. Westwood is our number one and should come back in. Dawson has cemented his place as second keeper though. He will get any cup games, and be called upon whenever Westwood isn’t available.

Dawson isn’t losing his place, he’s simply keeping his place as first choice backup. That’s his position to lose now, he’s got two keepers pushing him for that position in the squad in Wildsmith and Jones.

You make a good point. Goal keeper is a different story. 

I just can't help thinking that if I was Dawson I would feel a bit aggrieved about losing place after clean sheet and a couple of amazing saves. The thought of what more could he do is not what we need players to feel. 

If he not played so well {apart from distribution} Bullen would have a easier decision to make. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I just can't help thinking that if I was Dawson I would feel a bit aggrieved about losing place after clean sheet and a couple of amazing saves. The thought of what more could he do is not what we need players to feel. 

If he not played so well {apart from distribution} Bullen would have a easier decision to make. 

It is not a hard decision though is it. Westwood is our number one keeper and will come back in.

As for what we call it. The fact is it doesn't really matter. End result is the same. 2nd choice should mean that you can be 1st choice if you play as well if not better. 

Getting sent off in 80th minute away is not something that should be just swept under the carpet. If Dawson had done that we would all put it down to inexperience. In kW case it was rash and poor discipline. This has to be considered in whether Dawson plays against Millwall 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

It is not a hard decision though is it. Westwood is our number one keeper and will come back in.

Maybe. 

My opinion is it should be. 

I understand that you disagree. 

The fact some fans have a downer on Dawson and the way he was treated after Jos is also in my mind 

Our defence would all benefit from not changing after a clean sheet. We all know kW will miss a few or more games in the season. 2 games into the season giving Dawson some more games will have no detriment to kW. Dawson will benefit greatly. There are many reasons for keeping Dawson. I can only see negatives dropping him. Dawsons saves against Barnsley were a bit special. If that was not the case I would agree entirely with you. 

Bannan's range of passing with Harris and Muphy on the shoulder of defenders... yes please!

No one else in the side distributes from deep as well as Bannan does.

And now with Lee back in and Luongo or Hutch working their asses off, the weight of carrying the midfield is not longer solely on Bannan's shoulders. I think that'll see him excel. He's got players around him now and runners ahead of him, it's perfect for him to have a massive impact.

To me it's pretty obvious how we go..

Fletch is nailed on up top. Murphy and Harris' pace is too good to leave on the bench, as long as they're feeling 100%.
Lee looks like he's getting back to his best, which makes him undroppable, and we need Hutch or Luongo doing the rest of the leg work.

So Bannan comes in for Reach.

Reach has been pretty average in both games so far. He's the only guy outside the defense who's not been directly involved in a goal yet, and all he's really done over the two games is miss a 1v1. He'll have his part to play, but based on form so far he's got some catching up to do.

So Bannan in for Reach.

Westwood in for Dawson.

8 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Our defence would all benefit from not changing after a clean sheet. We all know kW will miss a few or more games in the season. 2 games into the season giving Dawson some more games will have no detriment to kW. Dawson will benefit greatly. There are many reasons for keeping Dawson. I can only see negatives dropping him. Dawsons saves against Barnsley were a bit special. If that was not the case I would agree entirely with you. 

Westwood is probably the best keeper in the division...I honestly can't see the point of dropping him when he's available...Dawson also gave Barnsley one of their few chances..not slagging the lad off..Its simply a fact

Dawson or Westwood, I can see both arguments. I suppose the big thing in Westwood's favour is his ability to organize the defence  and Millwall at home will probably throw a lot more at them than Barnsley did. However, if he is on the bench he's only himself to blame after getting a needless red card. That rush of blood could have cost us points whilst it enabled Dawson to make such a strong claim to keep his place. 

2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Why not use our 2 new speedster. The quick counter attack is just what we need away from home. Neither Harris or Jacob deserves dropping. Resting kl is a good idea. He needs more time to be able to play with out fully recovering after matches. He too important for the team to risk after such a long term injury. Hutch also may need to rest with his past injury record in mind. Both will be missed. But not as much as losing them for games with injury. We have competitive players to replace them. Hopefully they will putting 110% to keep the shirt. All positives that come from having a strong squad. Managing players fitness individually is key for our success this season with these players we know the difference they make to our team when they are fit and available. 

Also last few seasons home and away our lack of pace was a major downfall. Now we have fast wide players we need to utilise them. The form Harris has shown will be a major headache for Millwall. I sure they would not believe their luck if he not starting. 

Yeah I tend to agree, didn’t say it’s what I’d do, just what I think we will do. 

Promoted teams are often the ones that use the least amount of players over a season so hopefully this year injuries are kind and we can get through the season using 23/25 players then we’ll be right up there. 

3 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Rules need to be installed for everyone. I get your point. Eventually the benefits far outweigh the odd times a superstar has to make way for a few games. It's important to have competition for every position. This brings best from everyone. Dawson doesn't deserve dropping. If he keeps his place he will try and lift his game making it harder for him to be dropped. It's a natural reaction from every player when they have genuine competition for their place. Also if Dawson is dropped for Millwall the next time Westwood is unavailable Dawson has no incentive to raise his game again if he knows that no matter how he plays he will be dropped when kW available again. If Dawson does not impress with his chance in 1st team nobody has any complaints when he replaced. 

I not saying Dawson the better keeper or I got a grudge against kW. Its a long season and we want the best from the squad. We have a big strong squad and genuine competition for places. Now is the time to employ a system of keeping players at their best. This system benefits everyone and has to be excersised completey with everyone with no exceptions. Otherwise bad feeling and favouritism is likely to be felt. Professional or not human beings cannot change the mentality of natural human emotions. Regardless of what they may say in interviews. The team has to be rotated through the season and this will allow it to happen naturally. 

Another positive is if kW has to fight for the shirt back he will be less likely to make a silly decision to rush out of the box and foul the opposition again. A 1 match ban for the foul and sending off is the leagues punishment. A player of his experience should have made a better decision in those circumstances. A few more games helps install the right mentality for any future instances to make a better decision. Other players also will think about consequences before rash decision making. 

Westwood will be the keeper. 

The incentive for Dawson to play well again if he is dropped is the money he gets paid to do so.

No club should ever leave out there number one keeper unless they have to. 

How many times do premier league clubs rest there first choice keeper for league matches.

Goalkeepers dont need rotating like outfield players do.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Alot of the time his distribution was down to the strong winds.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Alot of the time his distribution was down to the strong winds.

Was that what it was? Could only watch this game, not be in the stadium, so hard to tell for me.

Remember thinking his kicking was severely wayward a few times, but the wind would explain it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Rules need to be installed for everyone. I get your point. Eventually the benefits far outweigh the odd times a superstar has to make way for a few games. It's important to have competition for every position. This brings best from everyone. Dawson doesn't deserve dropping. If he keeps his place he will try and lift his game making it harder for him to be dropped. It's a natural reaction from every player when they have genuine competition for their place. Also if Dawson is dropped for Millwall the next time Westwood is unavailable Dawson has no incentive to raise his game again if he knows that no matter how he plays he will be dropped when kW available again. If Dawson does not impress with his chance in 1st team nobody has any complaints when he replaced. 

I not saying Dawson the better keeper or I got a grudge against kW. Its a long season and we want the best from the squad. We have a big strong squad and genuine competition for places. Now is the time to employ a system of keeping players at their best. This system benefits everyone and has to be excersised completey with everyone with no exceptions. Otherwise bad feeling and favouritism is likely to be felt. Professional or not human beings cannot change the mentality of natural human emotions. Regardless of what they may say in interviews. The team has to be rotated through the season and this will allow it to happen naturally. 

Another positive is if kW has to fight for the shirt back he will be less likely to make a silly decision to rush out of the box and foul the opposition again. A 1 match ban for the foul and sending off is the leagues punishment. A player of his experience should have made a better decision in those circumstances. A few more games helps install the right mentality for any future instances to make a better decision. Other players also will think about consequences before rash decision making. 

Understand all that but while Dawson keeps his place and tries to raise his game, we may lose 3 points.

I really think we need to have the mentality that we need to do everything to be aiming to win every game (as the blunts have done for the last few seasons), in my opinion Westwood would stop a larger percentage of shots on goal, which means more points on the board.

Reach on the bench for me.

Didn't show much away at Reading, slightly better performance at home against Barnsley but still our worst midfield in that game too.

Bannan if fit goes straight back in. His control of the ball / touch is much better, his distribution of the ball to the wingers is faster, making the counter attack more effective and he also has a antenna like communication with K Lee.

Reach on the bench also provides cover for any midfield position. Happy days

Westwood also staright back in. Dawson did nothing wrong but neither did Westwood at Reading (took one for the team) which helped secure the win.

On 12/08/2019 at 21:49, swfc.4.ever said:

Reach on the bench for me.

Didn't show much away at Reading, slightly better performance at home against Barnsley but still our worst midfield in that game too.

Bannan if fit goes straight back in. His control of the ball / touch is much better, his distribution of the ball to the wingers is faster, making the counter attack more effective and he also has a antenna like communication with K Lee.

Reach on the bench also provides cover for any midfield position. Happy days

Westwood also staright back in. Dawson did nothing wrong but neither did Westwood at Reading (took one for the team) which helped secure the win.

I not sure about taking one for the team. KW made several rash decisions to come off his line. KW took the reading forward and our full back out. 20 yards off his line and wide of the semi circle. I dont think if KW would have stayed on his line that a clear goal scoring chance for reading was stopped. 

Its more like he left his line very rashly, missed the ball and tripped readings player and his own team mate. Just try to imagine Dawson suddenly thinking he Ederson and comiting the same foul as KW with ten mins to go just when reading started to fight back. The forum would be full of the type of criticism Dawson been undeservedly subjected to already for much much less. 

Lets give the guy a break, we got 3 good keepers. All have good and bad points. Keep a clean sheet and don't get sent off for a silly challenge and you get the shirt for next game. 

Anyone who claims to know KW will guarantee 3 points is just plain wrong

Sorry mate forgot i clicked quote not reply !! I was just pointing out my opinion on kw at reading and ended up going off on a tangent about stuff you not wrote about. Sorry mate. My bad

Edited by hirstys_achilles
Additional information