Rate our business in this window out of 10

7/10.... left back was an essential area for me & whilst I think we did the right thing with Hector I do think we may regret that if he really has gone to Fulham. £5m is too much with just one year left but his value would have gone up as soon as he signed because he’s worth more in today’s stupidly inflated market.

13 minutes ago, torryowl said:

havnt seen them play yet so impossible to say …..i'd be very surprised if all of them make an impression but hopefully 3 or 4 of them will .

Precisely.

How anyone can batter the signings at this stage is beyond me.

IMO I've not felt as positive about a season for a long time.

Edited by Ray Von shabba

Guest gizowl
4 minutes ago, Stoop said:

8/10 

Very happy with the players brought in

Would definitely have like to have seen a few more moves out tho, like Winnal, Van Aken and a few of the young lads

Think league 1 and  2 can make loan signings for another couple of weeks so hopefully can move some out. 

5/10

Borner and Harris look like good signings

The three brought in yesterday also look hopeful

But...

We’ve not brought in a new manager

Sold our most dangerous striker on the cheap

Not signed a left back

Edited by robswfc

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Surprised we could attract em tbh, without a big name manager and a coach who doesn't have any contacts..and never played at a high level...( according to some of our more experienced fifa captains on here)

lol

Unless they've been told something which we don't know. lol

Probably a 6. Could be higher, but it's too early to judge 

Our strength last season was our defensive unit and we've lost our POTY from the unit ... Hopefully Borner can step up to the plate

Hopefully Murphy can adequately replace Joao

Harris is clearly a step up from Boyd and I'm confident Luongo will be better than Jones 

Also, even aside from the shares jiggery pokery & ground sale, we've made a prrrrrrofit 

It's too early to fully judge our transfer business as we still need to appoint a manager whose tactics will suit the players we've got.  However going on what's happened since May:

Positives:

- We've kept hold of Westwood, Bannan and Reach.  Our 3 most important players IMO.

- Harris looks a class act.  Fantastic bit of business.

- Better balance to the squad.

- We've not spent heavily and we're out of the transfer embargo.

- The Luongo transfer for circa £1 million; great bargain is that.

- Thankfully we don't have to pay the wages of Abdi, Boyd, Jones, Hooper, Matias and Pudil anymore.  Several of these still haven't found a new club yet which tells it's own story.

- Finally got some decent pacey options on the wings.

- The other new signings are very much welcome; Murphy, Bates, Odubajo all have good pedigree.

- Average age of squad is down.

- Pleased to see Kirby loaned out to get some league experience.  We should be doing this with the majority of our academy products that look like they are ready.

Negatives:

- Rhodes should have been moved on this summer.  We've had enough interest in the player this window from other clubs to strike up a deal.  It's concerning that Rhodes is still here.  His wages are unsustainable for a player that has been so poor for us.

- Underwhelming to miss out on Hector.  The main reason we were solid defensively last season was Hector.  Our defence doesn't look as strong without him.

- A real shame that the Bidwell deal fell through.  If we carry on playing Palmer out of position, teams will target our LB area as our weakness.

- Forestieri's current transfer value is a fraction of what we could have got in 2016 when offers came in.  The player turns 30 this season and his contract is up next summer.  Bad business.

- £5-7 million transfer fee for Joao really isn't that amazing; it's certainly not going to remove our P&S concerns.  Joao is inconsistent and moving the player on was probably the right thing but he's mobile, dynamic and threat from set-pieces.  We don't have another striker like that.

- If we're going to play 4-3-3 most of the season, we could do with another CM; Hutchinson and Lee will probably miss plenty of games through injury, Pelupessy isn't good enough and the likes of Reach, Palmer are not CMs by trade.

- The Thorniley situation is a weird one.  We could really do with him being available as we don't have that much cover in defence.

- The Bruce saga & the lack of manager replacement.  Awful timing and a real blow to lose a decent manager in Bruce, that knows how to get clubs promoted. But the club have had more than long enough to sort out a replacement.  Rowett is available; he wants the job, knows the Championship and has got Derby into the playoffs in 2018.  What are we waiting for?

Outgoings needed before end of August:

- The Van Aken situation needs sorting; he obviously wasn't Carlos' number one transfer target back in 2017, he got injured under Luhukay and hasn't been played since.  Bullen obviously doesn't rate him and JVA wasn't even on the bench on Saturday.  If he isn't going to play much for us then move him on, get him out on loan with a view to a permanent transfer in January, get a loan fee into the accounts and save on his wages.

- Baker and Penney could both do with loan spells to League One/Two to build up their experience.

- If any club is daft enough to offer to loan Fox, Pelupessy or Winnall, they need to be shifted out.

Rating: 7 / 10

Guest Kagoshimaowl

6/10 for me. Luongo will be a good signing and I’m extremely pleased with Harris and Murphy to give us some much needed pace. I also think Odubajo will be a good signing.

As for Börner I don’t know much about him but I’m disappointed with the Bates signing as I really wanted Hector back. Understand completely why we didn’t do it but we’ll regret it. 

The reason I’ve gone for a six is the fact we’ve still got too much deadwood like Baker, Winnall and van Aken who will never play and Jordan ‘way past his best’ Rhodes bleeding us dry for nothing in return. He probably won’t even make the match day squad for most matches.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

Guest Ash76

Probably a 7 that has potential to be higher. Hopefully we look back on it as an 8

For this window in some time it feels like the scatter gun approach has totally gone, feels like the start of a building approach. 

One or 2 loans to possibly go out, January to try and move a couple deemed surplus including a forward and bring a new one in

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

5 a reasonable window, if a little uninspiring Have we improved the squad from last season,, probably not, but it isn’t noticeably weaker

Out of interest, how have we not improved on last terms squad? 

We lost: 

Injured / Injury Prone Players: Abdi, Onamah, Hooper, Matias, Aarans, Laazar - so no real value in having them in squad

Past It Players: Boyd, Jones, Pudil - again no real value

Actual Losses: Joao, Hector

have I missed and other valuable departures? 

Bringing in: Rhodes, Borner, Bates, Luongo, Moses, Murphy, Harris

Retaining: Westwood, Palmer and Lee

I'm struggling to see how the players coming in are not only better than what we’ve lost but in areas that we needed them too. 

5 hours ago, Fast Forward said:

4/10. We missed out on our most important target, Hector.

Worth every penny of £5m 

Luongo - should turn out to be a very good recruit.

Murphy - another wide man without a cross.

Bates - probably OK back-up. We don't rightly know.

Harris didn’t need a cross last week. Blistering pace will suffice.