An unpopular opinion.

5 hours ago, wmb said:

Unreal this. How much more evidence do people need to see Steve Bruce for what he is?! He has jumped ship multiple times throughout his career. He was fully aware of the financial situation when he arrived at the club. The chairman has done whatever possible this summer to alleviate that situation (admittedly he could have avoided it by selling players). Our chairman gave Steve Bruce as much freedom as possible in the transfer market. Do you really think domestic signings like Odubajo and Harris were suggested from elsewhere? Also Aaron and Lazzaar for that matter? Time to close the book on this now and for everyone to accept that Steve Bruce did what he thought was best for him without any regard for this football club.

Isnt Bruce on a million a year at Newcastle and wasnt he on 2 million a year here??

9 minutes ago, darra said:

Talking to someone in here who has good contacts in professional football and they said it's a myth about when managers get sacked they get their salary paid in full. It's usual now for a clause to be written in to the contract that says how much they get. At best it's usually 6 months pay.

Unless you are Mourinho. 14 million he got i think

Guest Kameron
4 minutes ago, darra said:

Talking to someone in here who has good contacts in professional football and they said it's a myth about when managers get sacked they get their salary paid in full. It's usual now for a clause to be written in to the contract that says how much they get. At best it's usually 6 months pay.

I suppose all contracts are different but there are quite a few managers who have been put on gardening leave to see out their contracts after being sacked or walking out. Megon for example loves his Gardening leave, this is often done so that clubs can continue to pay monthly when compensation cannot be agreed.  If you sack a manager you're paying what's stated in the contract, 9 times out of ten that's the salary amount what would have been due for it's duration.

Think Bruce moved because he got a better offer, may not be on more basic pay but would imagine that there are some other big incentives offered. We know he was on a one year rolling contract here, it could be he was offered a longer contract and went for more financial security.

Also don't underestimate the lure and profile of working in the premiership as opposed to the championship

I am sure he is well aware of how difficult Ashley is to work for and took this into consideration before making his call.

We could argue that he has not been loyal after we gave him a route back into football, when he joined us his loyalty was there for everyone to see but I don't remember many on here questioning it. We have poached managers in the past  and the general consensus has been tough on the other team.

We need to stop bleeding about him and move forward, one of the good things that have come out of this is that Bruce has shown that a decent manager can get this bunch of players competing.

Be the perfect excuse for Bruce Wouldn't it?

Broken promises ? Embargo he knew nothing about?

Not  being allowed to sign players?

Arguments with the chairman?

But no we get 

"Oooh it's happened out of the blue , it's for the club's to sort out...it's my boyhood club ..it's my Dad's club"

When all the time...it wasn't his fault at all and a valid excuse was there all the time !!!!

Really?

Why not use it then, instead of all the guff?

The simple answer is he wanted to go to Newcastle and the Prem

He just hasn't the balls to tell it like it is

5 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Be the perfect excuse for Bruce Wouldn't it?

Broken promises ? Embargo he knew nothing about?

Not  being allowed to sign players?

Arguments with the chairman?

But no we get 

"Oooh it's happened out of the blue , it's for the club's to sort out...it's my boyhood club ..it's my Dad's club"

When all the time...it wasn't his fault at all and a valid excuse was there all the time !!!!

Really?

Why not use it then, instead of all the guff?

The simple answer is he wanted to go to Newcastle and the Prem

He just hasn't the balls to tell it like it is

I don't think its that black and white but a bit of a combination of the two. 

You can’t ignore the pull factors. They are huge yet you’re “not buying it?”

I am certain Bruce was frustrated with Chansiri and he referred to him a number of times as being “off the wall” or similar. But despite that he has been able to sign three players, release 10, bring his own team in and put a stamp on things. Hard work no doubt but DC was taking his views on board.

At NUFC he does as he’s told. 

7 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

I find it very, very unlikely that Chansiri would have made a promise to Bruce that he knew he would not be able to keep. I'm quite sure that all the financial facts have been there on the table all the time. If there's something, it's more like Bruce not 100% believing what has been said regarding available money or player transfer policy.

Bruce did say in May that as far as he was aware we weren’t under any kind of embargo. However I believe the club have been in a soft embargo since April. 

Might be nothing in the comment and Bruce might have just said we were ok to avoid speculation etc, but that did stick in my mind at the time. 

When you tell someone there is no budget, that isn’t entirely true when you’re under an embargo. You are very restricted with what you can do. 

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

question too hard was it?

No.

I just can't be arsed fielding all the flak.

Few years back enjoyed nothing more than arguing and self justifying from dusk till dawn. But I get bored now. 

I bet he was frustrated off that it’s taken so long to get the accounts sorted like we all were. But despite that he’s signed as many players as some clubs have.

We haven’t shifted anyone which is a primary aim. But likewise why should we sell our better players to Bristol C or Brentford cheaply so that they can do and sell them for the double the money next season? Norwich haven’t rushed back in after speaking to Bruce about Rhodes.

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So it’s his last opportunity to manage in the Premier League for a club he apparently loves in Newcastle. But you are blaming him for timing? You’re right there is never a good time, so I find it hard that people are blaming Bruce for jumping ship when it could be the last time in his life that such an opportunity presents itself. Football folks. 

I remain the belief that if Bruce has confidence in the setup at Wednesday he would have stayed. He’s no idiot. No doubt people will call me a Chansiri hater and all sorts just for not calling a Bruce a snake etc.

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

You've basically contradicted yourself within two paragraphs.

New record that one, normally takes at least two posts!

11 hours ago, Beholder said:

Some decent responses in the thread form posters who are staying on topic.

Then the predictable 'attack the poster' responses from the usuals which are to be expected but do stifle discussion on this forum.. 

The situation at Wednesday is certainly a factor. It's a factor that can't be excluded , and the 'bruce is a snake' narrative, whilst compelling , avoids looking at that. 

Im more interested in our situation and how that is influencing things than Bruce's character tbh. I don't care about Bruce's character but I do know he is a very good championship manager and I'm sad we lost him.

We probably won't get anyone as good 

Steve Bruce has been a football manager for 20 years. He went into the job with us with his eyes wide open about our finances, as he said in his interviews at the time.

He hasn't used this as an excuse for his poor way of going about things so far so I don't see why Wednesday fans are doing so on his behalf.