Odds For The New Manager

On 15/07/2019 at 12:15, Blue and white said:

On sky bet now.

Screenshot_20190715-231337_Samsung Internet.jpg

We have to appoint someone who's style of play and formation will fit with what we have. Hughton obvious first choice, but unlikely we get him. If not we should go for someone succesful in lower leagues or abroad, who's wanting to make a name in England. Championship teams are attractive jobs for foreign managers, especially if we have a chance of reaching the prem in a year or two.

Must get someone young and hungry though imo, not a has been looking for a last pay day. Why not go for a German coach? The style of play clearly translates well from Germany to here, shown by all the recent successful ones.  Otherwise gamble on a top ex English pro wanting to get into management? Gerrard and Lampard worked out for their clubs so far.

Need to fit the manager around the players, not the other way around. Someone who likes fast, forward passing football, not slow possession dross.

Edited by swfc-dan

Hughton’s a strange one Probably my first choice, from those mooted anyway, but still have reservations Hard to say whether our existing squad suits his style of play. His championship sides were very different to his top flight line ups In the championship, he played a 4-4-2 with two box to box central midfielders, and we don’t rally have those. He did always use an old fashioned centre forward to lead the line, the veteran Murray. We have a similar style of player in Fletcher. The main downside with the way he sets up was, Brighton don’t score enough goals. 

What about David Wagner? Forgot he was out of work after leaving Hudds. I'd be very happy with him, got a promotion with a suprise team and plays good football too. Could be a very nice fit, seems a likeable guy also. Way down at 25/1 which is very suprising.

Edited by swfc-dan

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

What about David Wagner? Forgot he was out of work after leaving Hudds. I'd be very happy with him, got a promotion with a suprise team and plays good football too. Could be a very nice fit, seems a likeable guy also.

He’s at Schalke 

5 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

What about David Wagner? Forgot he was out of work after leaving Hudds. I'd be very happy with him, got a promotion with a suprise team and plays good football too. Could be a very nice fit, seems a likeable guy also. Way down at 25/1 which is very suprising.

I liked Wagner, and his use of the loan system was second to none His promoted Huddersfield squad contained 7 loan players,  including Aaron Mooy, Kasey Palmer and Izzy Brown. He must have great contacts within the Premier League big six, certainly better than Bruce, that’s for sure

Edited by gurujuan

My last image of Bullen as a caretaker was him as good as in tears, virtually pleading verbally for DC to get his man following our getting stuffed at home to Burton. I think he's happy to coach, but being the boss is completely different.

41 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

We have to appoint someone who's style of play and formation will fit with what we have. Hughton obvious first choice, but unlikely we get him. If not we should go for someone succesful in lower leagues or abroad, who's wanting to make a name in England. Championship teams are attractive jobs for foreign managers, especially if we have a chance of reaching the prem in a year or two.

Must get someone young and hungry though imo, not a has been looking for a last pay day. Why not go for a German coach? The style of play clearly translates well from Germany to here, shown by all the recent successful ones.  Otherwise gamble on a top ex English pro wanting to get into management? Gerrard and Lampard worked out for their clubs so far.

Need to fit the manager around the players, not the other way around. Someone who likes fast, forward passing football, not slow possession dross.

garymegson

19 minutes ago, marshy said:

My last image of Bullen as a caretaker was him as good as in tears, virtually pleading verbally for DC to get his man following our getting stuffed at home to Burton. I think he's happy to coach, but being the boss is completely different.

Were you in a coma last season?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

That feels like a very short term approach. Why not choose someone with a clear vision of how to move the club forward over the next 5 years (something we don’t currently seem to have) and let them re-shape the squad where possible to achieve this?

Also, no reason why quite possession football cannot be balanced with forward passing and high tempo. If not, might as well give the job to Pulis and suffer the consequences.

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Were you in a coma last season?

I completely take your point, but, I still stand by the comments I made about him ultimately being a better coach right now. Now learning along side a good manager is a different kettle of fish. Plus, out of everyone, I'd hate us to turn on him if it went boobies up 

15 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

That feels like a very short term approach. Why not choose someone with a clear vision of how to move the club forward over the next 5 years (something we don’t currently seem to have) and let them re-shape the squad where possible to achieve this?

Also, no reason why quite possession football cannot be balanced with forward passing and high tempo. If not, might as well give the job to Pulis and suffer the consequences.

We don't financially have five years in all probability

1 minute ago, modboy said:

We don't financially have five years in all probability

Pulis it is then!

I’m not suggesting we should be happy with Championship football for next 5 years, just that we need a clear direction for the club that would see us established in the Premier League within 5 years. 

8 minutes ago, modboy said:

It appears every candidate is worse than what we've lost unfortunately. Hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat 

I think what Bruce did, was to stabilise things when he arrived, I don’t think he brought a new dimension to our play. That’s not to knock the job he did, and let’s not forget Bullen’s role in that, but as long as we learn the lessons from that and look to keep some continuity. It really doesn’t have to be another Bruce clone, as long as the new guy doesn’t start ripping things apart. 

I really didn’t get the Jos appointment, it was obvious he ticked no boxes. If we can avoid that type of appointment, it doesn’t matter to me whether the new guy is British, or has championship experience, as long as he can work with the players that we have.

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, modboy said:

It appears every candidate is worse than what we've lost unfortunately. Hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat 

Agree with this.

When we replaced Jos we could have replaced him with basically anyone and it was better than what we had before. The problem we’ve got here is DC got the perfect man in Bruce, now he’s gone where do you go from here? It ain’t going to be easy. 

For me I would do my best to get a young up and coming boss, I’d go for Arteta or GVB but would they come? 

I feel for DC here because he’s got his work cut out and probably can’t win. 

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Worse apart from hopefully the next candidate won’t be a turdfaced, lying, 2 timing, fat, bentnosed, cabbage faced, Mrs doubtfire lookalike, 2 hat 

• Haha 2