Odds For The New Manager

Sheffield Wednesday are a big, historic club with undoubted potential, but it’s about the here and now. To get out of this division, you either need a lot of money or a very shrewd manager capable of spotting and nurturing cheaper lower-league talent (Chris Wilder did exactly this at Sheffield United).

To the best of my knowledge, Wednesday do not have significant amounts to spend on players, certainly not compared to more affluent clubs in the division. Given the financial reality, is there a manager out there – one who is available and would want the job - capable of building a promotion-chasing side on restricted funds? I’m not sure there is an obvious, standout candidate.

The Cowley Brothers have been phenomenally successful since beginning their managerial career at Concord Rangers, and are surely destined for greater things, either with Lincoln City or a bigger club in the Championship / Premier League. I’d love to see them at S6 but can’t see it happening any time soon. I suspect one of two scenarios will play out.

1.       Wednesday go for a predictable if unspectacular option (Pulis, Monk, Megson, Allardyce, Hughes)

2.       Wednesday announce an unknown foreign coach who turns out to be a genius or absolute disaster.

Up The Owls

8 minutes ago, owl84 said:

People are very quick to jump on the anti Bullen bandwagon because of this 'Burton' game. They seem to forget what he did last season in the 4 games he was in Temp charge. 

I'm not saying he's the right man for the job but would take him over a lot of the other names linked.

And before the Burton game we stuffed Forest and looked very good.  I remember his after match comments and he said he sent them out with a very simple 5 back, 5 attacking brief.  Maybe he over complicated the Burton game and learnt his lesson second time around.  Its difficult to say, but if he took charge for the time being and we put in an experienced number 2 to help him out, we get a bit of continuity and some experience.

• Like 1

Spike 1867 has forgotten the Brentford away game that took place between the Forest away and Burton home games.

At Brentford we were embarrassing and torn to shreds just as we were at home to Burton Albion.

Great club man as player and coach but let's leave it like that for the sake opf everyone.

It will be hard for Bullen to do the Managers job. He's a great assistant, a friendly ear for the players.

He probably could ball them but he's the one who should be lifting their spirits AFTER a bollocking.

Sadly, I can't see him transitioning from assistant middle man to manager.

I would love to be proven wrong.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Roberto Di Matteo.  Took over a basket case of a club in Villa where to be fair nobody was going to succeed that season.  Has experience with top players, made maybe one colossal transfer cockup in McCormack, but brought a good number of players to the Villa squad who have just gone up. He has good win percentages across his other managerial appointments.  Is there some reason he hasn't been in work since getting the sack by Villa? Did he have a reputation for bad football or just crap?

8 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Spike 1867 has forgotten the Brentford away game that took place between the Forest away and Burton home games.

At Brentford we were embarrassing and torn to shreds just as we were at home to Burton Albion.

Great club man as player and coach but let's leave it like that for the sake opf everyone.

Yes mate I did forget that one, however he got chucked in at the deep end at Christmas and probably didn't know his harris from his elbow.  Second time around it was much better (although it couldn't really get any worse).  I'm not saying he is the answer, but i'm starting to prefer him to some of the names that have been bandied around.

So Bullen has had a change of heart and sounding like he wants to give it a crack 

Still not so sure Chansiri will give it him 

42 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

And before the Burton game we stuffed Forest and looked very good.  I remember his after match comments and he said he sent them out with a very simple 5 back, 5 attacking brief.  Maybe he over complicated the Burton game and learnt his lesson second time around.  Its difficult to say, but if he took charge for the time being and we put in an experienced number 2 to help him out, we get a bit of continuity and some experience.

We stank v Burton, BUT here’s the team.

Wildsmith

Hunt

Loovens

Venacio

Fox

Reach

Butterfield

Jones

Wallace

Joao

Rhodes

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We stank v Burton, BUT here’s the team.

Wildsmith

Hunt

Loovens

Venacio

Fox

Reach

Butterfield

Jones

Wallace

Joao

Rhodes

Only two tackles in the whole of that team, the two centre halves.