Odds For The New Manager

Rowett walked into a basket case at Stoke with a load of Billy Bigshots so unfair to judge him on his short period there.  I think he'd do alright with us and he's a bit of a mardy arse that you like when he's on your side a bit like a lot of decent managers in that respect. 

I'd love Hughton but can't see it so Rowett is a decent Plan B.

Can we not look at the same set of managers that get mentioned everytime somebody gets sacked , monk, rowett  karanka etc

And look at somebody who's on there way up in the world like the cowleys at lincoln or guy at Barnsley or even paul cook always seems to play decent football 

The other option as I see it is that we give a someone there first job in management and someone like arteta ( and yes I know its unlikely he would come ) 

• Like 1

Other than Stoke, Rowett's record is pretty good.

He wasn't popular at Derby despite basically doing as well as all other Derby managers - his conservative style of play wasn't the "Derby way".

I was very pro him as a replacement for Gray. At this point, his appointment would feel underwhelming, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Can we not look at the same set of managers that get mentioned everytime somebody gets sacked , monk, rowett  karanka etc

And look at somebody who's on there way up in the world like the cowleys at lincoln or guy at Barnsley or even paul cook always seems to play decent football 

The other option as I see it is that we give a someone there first job in management and someone like arteta ( and yes I know its unlikely he would come ) 

Just as much risk going with an up and comer though isn't there?

Carlos aside, who was well backed unlike most of our recent managers, we got our best 'bumps' out of experienced managers like Sturrock, Megson, Jones and Bruce.

6 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Rowett wouldn't be my first choice but think he could be an astute appointment. He played 442 at Birmingham which suits our squad currently, he also knows the division and players.

A colleague of mine that worked at the FA said Rowett was very clued up and methodical. 

Far from my first choice, but available and must have something about him to be courted by decent Championship clubs. 

On the plus side, he knows the league and you never know might just be the right fit, things might click like at Birmingham.

If Hughton doesnt want to come, dont think we should be begging and cant see DC pursuing an in work manager, considering the impact its had on us, losing our manager. He's never done so before, so unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

Rowett walked out on Derby didn't he? 

Wiki says (and this tallies with my memory), he asked for permission to talk to Stoke after the play off defeat, and there doesn't seem to have been any irregularity.

I think it should be possible to distinguish between this and the sort of behaviour that Bruce has indulged in.